Is it too early? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it too early?

Faytla

*Before we start. I know there might be other threads related to my situation but I want serious answers directly to me.

Hey, my name is Richard and I'm 18 living in the Gta area. Ever since I was young I was always into motorcycles. Always wanted to learn to ride and now I think I'm ready but... Is it too early? A group of friends and I want to start learning this upcoming spring.

The questions I am wondering now,

How is the insurance on motorcycles? I've tried to do online quotes but haven't got any. If anything I just want to know estimates per month/year

Gas? Specifically the cbr250

Last but not least. Affordablilty? The uses on the bike will be travel to work and back. And general use (joy rides and meet ups).

If there is something you are misunderstanding or have questions let me know.

Thanks for you help.

*Before we start. I know there might be other threads related to my situation but I want serious answers directly to me.
Theres plenty threads that's related and will answer your question
Hey, my name is Richard and I'm 18 living in the Gta area. Ever since I was young I was always into motorcycles. Always wanted to learn to ride and now I think I'm ready but... Is it too early? A group of friends and I want to start learning this upcoming spring.

How is the insurance on motorcycles? I've tried to do online quotes but haven't got any. If anything I just want to know estimates per month/year
Doing some searching and you'll definitely get the answer for this and it's directly an answer for/to you.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r
Was that so hard?
Last but not least. Affordablilty? The uses on the bike will be travel to work and back. And general use (joy rides and meet ups).
Get your license first then go from there.
A simple search and get the answers to your questions instantly than waiting around here from an answer. The young generation is srsly in trouble =/
Thanks for you help.

See text marked in ​red.

Thanks for your reply but that didn't help. I've done research already about getting into riding and I just wanted other people opinion and there advice and not simple answer like "Do some research" or "Get your license and go from there". Realistically it doesn't help.

Thanks for you help.

There is entire sub forum here at GTAM dedicated to insurance: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?28-Insurance Surely, you'll find relevant information there. Don't waste time with online quotes. Make some telephone calls and get some specific quotes.

Jimsun provided the link for fuel economy.

Don't limit yourself to the CBR250 exclusively. Check Kijiji to get an idea on the used bike market.

Take a motorcycle safety course in the spring.

You're no different than any other new rider, and you ain't special.

A little effort goes a long way. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Never too early. I got mines at 24 & wished I did it earlier. Go for your license then think about it, nothing to lose. Get a small bike to putt around, cheap on insurance.

Don't do anything stupid & you'll have years of fun

only too early if you are not sensible/mature, and not financially able to pay insurance

insurance is going to be expensive, not every company offers motorcycle insurance

fuel economy is better than a car, and better than bigger bikes

Not as affordable as a car due to insurance cost and you'll still need a car for the winter

I'm good, thanks.

Thanks for you help.

These comments are directed at you specifically. :)

I got my MC license almost on the day of my 16th birthday (or as close as possible anyway). I couldn't afford a car and for me my bike was going to be my main form of transportation. I'd ride all winter except when the roads were snow and/or ice covered - on those days it would have to be transit which 30 years ago wasn't as good as it is now.

I picked up the cheapest bike I could, a Yahama Exciter for about $700 and got liability insurance only. I can't tell you the cost for YOU, but I can advise you to shop around as prices vary WILDLY for no apparent reason. See who your parents use for their insurance, including house, as sometimes there are discounts. Don't assume someone dedicated to MC insurance will be cheapest. Group rates help too if your the member of an association or something that might enjoy such benefits. You might get away with $100/month, but again, prices vary wildly, so that's a wild guess.

Gas will be pretty cheap on a small bike. A tank could be $15 and take you 200-300 km. The equivalent in a small car will be double to triple. Motorcycles offer pretty good transportation value if you take a budget approach like I did back then. Remember, if you're smart and safe there will be years and years for you to upgrade bikes!

Welcome!

You'll find six year olds "learning to ride", cutting their teeth on little dirt bikes. In terms of learning to ride a motorcycle 18 is not "too early"...if anything, it's a bit late :) But it's all good: If you can ride a bicycle you can ride a motorcycle. If you have dirt bike or trail experience it's a no-brainer. You just need to change some habits and muscle memory and learn the rules of the road and risk management.

Too many variables to say for sure. In general, if you have a driver's licence and a clean record you might find a 250-class machine to be quite affordable. Anything larger is likely to incur some pretty serious costs.

Look for the mid 70s in terms of MPG (3.3 L/100km) for a 250 driven "easily."

Compared to cars bikes are cheap to initially purchase. Tires and chains/sprockets wear over time and are fairly expensive to replace. Very roughly speaking figure a new chain every 20-30,000kms if you maintain it. Tires might last half that but it all depends on how and where you ride. Other maintenance most guys generally do themselves (e.g. oil changes) to save a buck.

Modern bikes are pretty affordable overall. The killer is likely to be the initial purchase and the insurance. Running costs will be little in comparison.

Take a riding course to get your licence.
Buy a used bike that is cheap(est) on insurance. Smaller CC is good. Ignore what bike would be your dream one, just get one....lots more bike s in the future.
Ride and gain experience.

When I was ,21 with a m1 I paid 3000 insurance for my first year on a 125... You gotta pay to play when your young. I'm 25 now on a 600ss paying less than 600 a year . just bite the bullet and work your ass off to afford it and have fun :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Richard, I'm not sure what "into motorcycles" means, but a prudent person would write the M1 and then do the M2 course on someone else's bike BEFORE committing funds to a bike, insurance and everything else. You may find that riding is not what you thought, and if the statistics mean anything, you are not alone. Many people drop out before getting their M2, or manage to sneak through and then realize that they cannot handle the stress of street riding. Like so many other activities it may look like fun (joy rides and meet ups) but the reality is something totally different for many people. This is a serious answer directly to you.

The main constraint for a young rider will be the insurance costs, which will shock you. The purchase price of the bike will seem so small in comparison to a couple of years of insurance costs. Can you afford the insurance? Ask your parents if you can be put onto their insurance policy, as it will be cheaper.

Look at a used bike in good running condition. Insuring a used bike will mean you can opt out of comprehensive and choose just liability. This will reduce your insurance costs, but also your insurance coverage. You don't need theft insurance for a used bike. As stated, this is your first bike, not your last. A new bike will mean much higher insurance costs.

If you are riding to work, are you on a highway or local roads? Riding in the winter is bitterly cold, and I would say, unbearable for most. Riding on the highway means higher speeds and therefore higher wind chills. You can put a windshield on a smaller bike to cut the wind and cold, somewhat. In the winter you will need another method to get to work if there is snow and ice on the road. Do you need to carry much to work? A bike can carry much less than a car.

I am unconvinced that a bike is cheaper than a small compact car, when you factor in insurance costs, riding gear, and the amount of the year you can use a bike. Sure a bike is a lot more fun, but you ride so much less than you could use a car. A bike is also a lot more dangerous due to the other drivers not seeing you.

There is a lot to consider, especially for a young rider.

The main constraint for a young rider will be the insurance costs, which will shock you. The purchase price of the bike will seem so small in comparison to a couple of years of insurance costs. Can you afford the insurance? Ask your parents if you can be put onto their insurance policy, as it will be cheaper.

Look at a used bike in good running condition. Insuring a used bike will mean you can opt out of comprehensive and choose just liability. This will reduce your insurance costs, but also your insurance coverage. You don't need theft insurance for a used bike. As stated, this is your first bike, not your last. A new bike will mean much higher insurance costs.

If you are riding to work, are you on a highway or local roads? Riding in the winter is bitterly cold, and I would say, unbearable for most. Riding on the highway means higher speeds and therefore higher wind chills. You can put a windshield on a smaller bike to cut the wind and cold, somewhat. In the winter you will need another method to get to work if there is snow and ice on the road. Do you need to carry much to work? A bike can carry much less than a car.

I am unconvinced that a bike is cheaper than a small compact car, when you factor in insurance costs, riding gear, and the amount of the year you can use a bike. Sure a bike is a lot more fun, but you ride so much less than you could use a car. A bike is also a lot more dangerous due to the other drivers not seeing you.

There is a lot to consider, especially for a young rider.

I am 23 now and been riding since 19, insurance for an entry level car is still triple my insurance costs for my bike. The car itself is more expensive than an entry level bike. Sure, the risks are higher but it is cheaper in the end. That being said, I did put aside $6000 to put towards the bike, insurance, and full gear.

With $6000, assuming you want to be fully equipped while riding, you'd basically be able to afford a cbr125, insurance for the first year, and have about $1500 left for some decent gear.

Good luck, take a course, and stay safe.

Write the test, buy or rent your gear (if you have a great friend like me somewhere that has lent gear to jackasses who have crashed it, you're golden), get your M2 and decide from there.

I can't count the number of people who got their M2, go to a 600ss (or even 125s/250s), run the bike off a curb, and never ride again saying riding is dangerous.

On the flip side of things, I have a friend who rode into a ditch trying to keep up with me, and all he wanted to do was fix the bike so he could learn from his mistakes. That was his 3rd week of riding after I told him not to keep up in the corners lol

Figure out what type of person you are first, there is a lot more of the first than second.

Oh, in terms of costs:

Initally, the hobby cost me $1000 gear + $3000 insurance + $3500 bike. License was around $500.

4 years later, this hobby went from a cheap commute tool to a full out passion with broken bones and multiple repairs (thanks PLau for being there for the last one lol). It is NOT cheaper than a car anymore LOL

Last edited:
油井緋色;2261826 said:
4 years later, this hobby went from a cheap commute tool to a full out passion with broken bones and multiple repairs (thanks PLau for being there for the last one lol). It is NOT cheaper than a car anymore LOL

Maybe it's time to slow down and ride within your skill level if you are constantly crashing unless you are looking to challenge evil kneivels record of broken bones. LOL
Also when lending gear to a friend there is always THAT CHANCE that said newbie might crash.

Agree with both of you above but there is a chance the OP may start modifying stuff, which also costs a lot of money =P

Also maintenance wise, brake pad and tire life is around 3x-5x lower than their car counterparts

I'd say complete your M1 written test to start, then get your M2 through a riding course.

Motorcycling is a serious hobby (from both financial and health perspectives). it's considered a toy because most people do not ride when the temp drops below 10 degrees.

What were the quotes you have got so far when you called insurance companies? Can't get more directed to you than that.
Gas mileage? Really, Do you not know how to use google?
Affordability? If you could upload your last 3 paycheques and the next years in advance expecting earnings, all monthly bills, any extra expenses you may incure over the next year or so and maybe I might be able to answer this....

I understand your 18 and kids these days feel everything should be done for them, but put some effort in on your own. As everyone has already mentioned, everything you need to know is on here. Its up to you to figure something out yourself.

PS, remember you pay insurance yearly, So the winter months you are still paying for it whether you cancel or not. Your welcome

Back
Top Bottom