Ford Edge? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ford Edge?

oomis

Site Supporter
Looking at replacing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Thought I loved it, put a mild lift and some nice, black 33's on it, but the rustic charm is wearing a bit thin. It's been a good tow vehicle - open trailer, 2 bikes. But it's a total mall-crawler, and honestly exhausting to drive for longer distances. Solid axles sure have their benefit in terms of flex and ground clearance, but those are problems that I just don't have, living in the city.

I have a family "in" at a Ford dealership, and looking at a current-gen Ford Edge as a potential replacement. I know Ford's launching a very revamped version for 2015, so the current-gen's have some good discounts on them.

Anyone have any thoughts on them? AWD vs. FWD? We have a Fiesta ST which has the ecoboost tech in it, wondering how that would translate in the 2.0 Eco vs. 3.5L powerplant.

Anyone towed with them?

The Edge looks like a great car. I decided to go with the Escape recently over the Edge. What is your reason for going for Edge?

I decided on Escape because I could get more of a discount with it and get more features for a cheaper price such as leather and navigation. One thing I didn't get which I should have was the rear kick lift gate. Escape is cheaper on gas and the current model has good updated features.

I'm paying $448/mo for 72 months with the convenience package, customer leather wrapped seats and navigation.

I've heard mixed reactions regarding running costs from a couple of owners. Although it seems like a great car, especially under warranty.

Really, the reason I'm not looking at an Escape is that I have two family members that already have one (the family "in" at the dealership). Also, the Edge looks a bit different, and I dig that.

Also, though I guess I'll see when I get up there, the back seats seem to be more spacious in the Edge. I have 2 kids that are going to be tall in the next couple of years, and I'd like to make sure they're not squashed in there when they hit their respective growth spurts in their teens...

Now if I get up to the dealership and there's a huge difference in price between the Edge and the Escape, I might just swallow my vanity...

When I was taking my Escape out of the dealership I asked the sales rep if I had gotten an Edge what's the best deal that I could get with same features. He said you can get away with a $5k markup. I can give you the name of the person that I dealt with. Good guy. No haggling. I had the price agreed within 5 minutes. Went to two other ford dealership and they just screwed around. He just gave me the lowest price upfront.

When I was taking my Escape out of the dealership I asked the sales rep if I had gotten an Edge what's the best deal that I could get with same features. He said you can get away with a $5k markup. I can give you the name of the person that I dealt with. Good guy. No haggling. I had the price agreed within 5 minutes. Went to two other ford dealership and they just screwed around. He just gave me the lowest price upfront.

OP is using a Ford Employee for "employee pricing". There is NO haggl'n. Price on the DEALER invoice is what you pay. Not a "knockdown price" from the sticker on the window.
Dealership makes zero / nothing / nadda / not one cent from the customer / OP.
Ford Canada sends the selling dealership a "sum" for selling the unit.
The only way to "haggle" on one of these deals, is on or with your trade in. Nothing else matters.

OP - Take a peek at an MKX before you buy the Edge.

OP is using a Ford Employee for "employee pricing". There is NO haggl'n. Price on the DEALER invoice is what you pay. Not a "knockdown price" from the sticker on the window.
The only way to "haggle" on one of these deals, is on or with your trade in. Nothing else matters.

Not entirely true... Any additional discounts offered by Ford are applicable.
Back in '09 we bought a 2010 base Escape XLT (4 cyl, auto, air), used Ford "Z" plan + cash for clunkers + Costco rebate = $21k out the door
ALWAYS ask what discounts are available.

Yup - they won't be making a dime on my sale - the owner of the dealership is doing a family member a favour, both on the price of the car and the value of my trade in.

Not entirely true... Any additional discounts offered by Ford are applicable.
ALWAYS ask what discounts are available.

This is true, I know the Costco discount will be applied, as will any other Ford discounts. These are no additional skin off the dealer's back - as long as they don't lose money on the vehicle (and I'm not a dick to the sales staff, who have been amazing to us) they are going to cut it for as little as they can.

Because I know I'm getting a great price that's not available to the general public, I'm concerned less about the price, and more about whether or not the Edge is a good vehicle as a daily driver, long distance road trips and hauling to and from the track.

I towed a 5x8 enclosed with my Edge. Tows fine but fuel consumption is awful.

My edge got about 17L/100km towing that rig. My current Sierra gets the same fuel consumption towing a 7x22ft toy hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want something "different", check out the passenger version of the new Transit Connect. Mechanically, it is pretty much an Escape, but the interior is way bigger ... and the passenger version does not look like a plumber's van.

My wife has had an Edge since 2007. The 3.5L motor is great IMO I've used it plenty for towing a 6x12 trailer. 265 hp with 265 ft-lbs. of torque. I had the factory towing package installed and also I put air bags in the rear just because I didn't want any squat in the rear fully loaded... It tows excellent.
Normally 12L/100 14-15 L/100 towing but I have got it up higher 17-18 if cruising more than 110 km/h. Keep it out of O.D. And the tranny has held up well so far as well.
My only complaint is the rust on the rear fender wells, hopefully they have refined that part by now? The 2007 has a thin lip that the stones make short work of and rot has started already.
My wife loves it to death other than the rust.

Do most of you buy or lease? If you buy how long do you keep the car?

I buy my cars as lease doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I buy gently used with some balance of warranty on them or demo with low kms and full warranty. Don't think about getting a new car until I get some major repair coming up out of warranty, then it's repaired and sold. Usually for me for an AWD or 4x4 that means the first transmission problem. I'd like to buy brand new just for the brand new car feeling and the warranty though.

Back
Top Bottom