Cop kills 5-year old. No charges. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cop kills 5-year old. No charges.

As I understand it.... The cop was only about 30 meters from the intersection when the guy decided to turn left. The guy's statement may be the reason the cop is not being charged. That said.... I find it troubling that he wasn't!

Once again, let's do the math.

It's entirely plausible that the speeding police car was only 30 metres away when the other vehicle started the left turn. That's a little less than 1 second of travel at the reported speed. If the other vehicle was doing (say) 30 to 40 km/h that is about 10 m/s which is more than enough to go from the direction-of-travel lane to across the oncoming lane in a second.

But ... 30 metres away is not very far.

I think we can assume (correct me if wrong) that the cop was on the major road and the other car was turning off that major road onto the smaller one (I haven't looked into which direction faces where). That smaller road still has 4 main lanes plus 2 bicycle lanes plus a central reservation that is at least as wide as a traffic lane. Just the intersection is probably 20 metres wide.

If you look at the Streetview image, with the line of cars waiting at the red light, 30 metres from the point of impact would probably put the cop car somewhere near where the white Mazda 3 in the right lane is at the time that the driver of the left-turning car made the decision to turn.

Would YOU make that left turn with a car approaching the intersection at that spot? I sure wouldn't - not even if the car was going at a normal speed, nevermind more than twice the posted speed limit.

Still think that both drivers should be charged ... the boy's mother with improper left turn, the cop with speeding at a minimum.

The point that Rob makes, in that 72 km/h above the posted speed limit is judged to be insufficient to warrant dangerous driving on its own ... is most interesting. File that one away in your memory banks if you ever have to travel in Quebec and happen to be caught speeding.

The point that Rob makes, in that 72 km/h above the posted speed limit is judged to be insufficient to warrant dangerous driving on its own ... is most interesting. File that one away in your memory banks if you ever have to travel in Quebec and happen to be caught speeding.

I had to re-read it twice to make sure I am understanding the sentence correctly ... I guess speed doesn't hold weight on it's own, at least not in Quebec land of traffic law and not when you are a cop. I am not so sure that a the same reasoning would apply if it was me driving 72 over in Quebec or living in Quebec (probably doesn't make a difference ...)

Back
Top Bottom