My first winter | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first winter

I do this plus drain the float bowls.

I don't drain the carb bowls till spring before my first start up. Reason being you don't want the diaphragms to dry out.

I of course add stabilizer and run the bike with the petcock off till the bike stalls much like everyone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't drain the carb bowls till spring before my first start up. Reason being you don't want the diaphragms to dry out.

I of course add stabilizer and run the bike with the petcock off till the bike stalls much like everyone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diaphragms in a carburetor do not normally come in contact with fuel. Also, pretty much anything rubber that dries out or shrinks from being dry will usually be just fine after coming in contact with fuel again (assuming reasonable storage conditions)

Hey everyone!

I'm sad I have to put away my new toy for a while (250R) :) I've been riding up until early November, and haven't done the "winterization" yet. I'm keeping the bike in the attached garage, so its fairy "warm" in there, always a few degrees warmer than outside.

Now, do I really need to change oil and drain the fuel? Seems a little extreme given it'll be stored for only 3 months, maybe 4 tops. Also, the battery looses charge much slower in cold temperatures, does it have to be removed as well? I think batteries are removed to keep away from extreme temps (ie -15C or lower), so does this still apply to our winters?

My first winter with my bike as well. I topped up the tank, put in fuel stabilizer and ran the bike. I also removed the battery and put it on a battery tender. Although, my garage is detached from my house. One thing I didn't do was lube the chain, should I still do it?

Last edited:
After the first season of riding, the first winter is the worst. It never gets good, but the first cut is the deepest.

My first winter with my bike as well. I topped up the tank, put in fuel stabilizer and ran the bike. I also removed the battery and put it on a battery tender. Although, my garage is detached from my house. One thing I didn't do was lube the chain, should I still do it?

doesn't hurt... use some engine oil if you do not have chain lube....better than nothing

Why put it away?, when I lived in Malton, I rode all year.....the Forks of the Credit look good in Snow

My routine has worked for 12 years with current bike, which has 4 carbs.

I use premium fuel for last fill up as it has no ethanol, add stabilizer, run until engine is warm. I fog engine using CT engine storage spray and then turn off, change oil and filter, spray WD40 on mufflers, fork tubes etc., and then put plastic bags on muffler to keep out humid air. I do not drain floats bowls. Remove battery and put on tender until spring.

In spring, install battery and on start it smokes for a few minutes and then runs fine.

Why put it away?, when I lived in Malton, I rode all year.....the Forks of the Credit look good in Snow

I've met a couple of ppl that don't winterized at all in case there is a good day here or there..I'm contemplating doing the same

some ppl sell the bike before winter then buy a new bike in spring
no worries about winterizing

Back
Top Bottom