Steering Dampers or Stabilizers for sports Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Steering Dampers or Stabilizers for sports Bikes

xX-GMan-Xx

Site Supporter
I have been looking at various brands and various kinds of steering dampers / stabilizers for my '14 ZX6R.
OHLINS seems to be the best option, however an expensive one.

Can someone clarify if various kinds of stabilizers make a huge difference?

I'm not doing any track days or anything, but for day to day riding and highway riding especially, I think its a good thing to invest in.

Recommendations please?

Can't go wrong with ohlins or elka imo. However I have never needed one for the street, just track. I have a hyperpro on my r6, but no where near as good as the above two mentioned (for me). 24 clicks and I need to be at 23 to feel resistance. Had it rebuilt overnight at the track this year and it didn't make a damned difference once mounted. It's not a great damper though, and the "dimple"design does not allow for fine adjustments like the ohlins does.

World of difference on track, dunno how useful they are on the street. I'm in the market for a new one, just be aware that there are different "grades" for bikes, ohlins stock one is different than an aftermarket one for the track.

I have a gpr. I find it makes a lot of difference. So much so I bought it to replace the factory damper on my brand new bike. 400 and change. Not sure how that compares with an ohlins but I'm betting it's cheaper

52540b6d8adc67f70b122028e4ff193c.jpg

I have a gpr. I find it makes a lot of difference. So much so I bought it to replace the factory damper on my brand new bike. 400 and change. Not sure how that compares with an ohlins but I'm betting it's cheaper

52540b6d8adc67f70b122028e4ff193c.jpg

How long of you had the GPR have you had any problems with it I read on the net that they have a problem with leakage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since February and not one issue. I also know some others who have it without any issue as well

I ordered a GPR for a friend, it leaked 2 days out of the package, I sent it back and GPR rebuilt it for free. Got it back and it leaked again within a week, sent it back got it rebuilt again for free. Got it back sold it to another friend, and again it leaked on him shortly after....They cant seem to fix it! I have read other people have the same issue, but its either you get a good one that doesnt leak or if your unlucky like we were you get a bad one that leaks forever.

Personally I only use Ohlins and would never buy a rotary damper again since I owned a Scotts, and if I did the last one Id buy would be GPR....Maybe its just a bad experience on my part but it turned me away from their products/company. The friend that the GPR was for feels the same way, after the GPR leak problem I convinced him to spend the money on Ohlins and he will never go back to anything else either...

Can't go wrong with ohlins or elka imo. However I have never needed one for the street, just track. I have a hyperpro on my r6, but no where near as good as the above two mentioned (for me). 24 clicks and I need to be at 23 to feel resistance. Had it rebuilt overnight at the track this year and it didn't make a damned difference once mounted. It's not a great damper though, and the "dimple"design does not allow for fine adjustments like the ohlins does.

World of difference on track, dunno how useful they are on the street. I'm in the market for a new one, just be aware that there are different "grades" for bikes, ohlins stock one is different than an aftermarket one for the track.

The only difference is a bleed bypass hole in the valve, this makes them have little to no difference between all the way stiff and all the way off. I have those valves swapped out for $100 with new fluid and bleeding and it then becomes the exact same as the aftermarket Ohlins. So for +$100 on a bike that comes with a OEM Ohlins its still a great deal considering you then have a $700 value damper for $120ish with shipping...

OEM Ohlins valve with bypass hole on bottom on the Left, Aftermarket Ohlins valve with no bypass on the RIGHT. Have this swapped out and your OEM market Ohlins becomes the same as the $700 Ohlins damper kits
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Ohlins rod type only. Love it.

The only difference is a bleed bypass hole in the valve, this makes them have little to no difference between all the way stiff and all the way off. I have those valves swapped out for $100 with new fluid and bleeding and it then becomes the exact same as the aftermarket Ohlins. So for +$100 on a bike that comes with a OEM Ohlins its still a great deal considering you then have a $700 value damper for $120ish with shipping...

OEM Ohlins valve with bypass hole on bottom on the Left, Aftermarket Ohlins valve with no bypass on the RIGHT. Have this swapped out and your OEM becomes the same as the $700 kits
$_57.JPG

Johnny who can I contact to rebuild mine? Got a used ohlins for my r6 and I don't know the state they are in.

Johnny who can I contact to rebuild mine? Got a used ohlins for my r6 and I don't know the state they are in.

Many local places will do it, but not very many will do it properly. You are supposed to refill and bleed them in a vacuum machine, most places do not have this specialized equipment to rebuild them properly to Ohlins specs. But they will charge you to do it half *** with non Ohlins fluids

So therefore I send mine to Kyle Racing in the US, they are an approved Ohlins rebuild center. And have the proper equipment and Ohlins oil
They have a website and also adds on Ebay for this service also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Stee...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f400fb9f0&vxp=mtr

That is $85 us for the valve swap and bleeding and new oil, for just a rebuild it would be even cheaper. But you have to pay for shipping both ways

Also turn around for any damper I have ever sent them was 24 hours

Last edited:
Öhlins in the OEM location is actually very reasonably priced.

If your bike has that option, most bikes do not have that option like your GSXR and require a full kit with mounting brackets. His 2014 ZX6R being one that does require a full kit

You can buy it from Kawaski like I did but you will get an OEM market damper that still needs the rebuild, or you can buy the aftermarket kit from Ohlins. Both are the same price range so I would go for the aftermarket Ohlins....As I made the mistake of not waiting for the aftermarket kit, and then had to send it out, also the aftermarket comes with billet brackets, and the OEM comes with cast brackets for the same price MSRP

FYI 09-12 ZX6R came with OEM Ohlins damper and mounting, 2013+ do not. Both Kawasaki and Ohlins offer it as an upgrade kit, Kawasaki sells you the OEM market Ohlins damper with their own cast brackets, Ohlins sells you the kit with billet brackets

Last edited:
I thought the 13's and up used the same mounting points as the previous model?

Last edited:
If the OP is interested I have aftermarket triple clamps, so I do not need my mounting brackets. I could sell you them and an OEM Ohlins for cheap....I have both that I am not using

I knew that, I didn't think they needed a bracket though, just had to search for a pic:

2013zx6Ohlins1.jpg

That is the Ohlins kit, I have the Kawasaki kit with cast brackets, but either way it needs brackets and a full kit. The Kawasaki kit bolts to 2 holes that are already under the triple clamp. So a little different but same idea

Many local places will do it, but not very many will do it properly. You are supposed to refill and bleed them in a vacuum machine, most places do not have this specialized equipment to rebuild them properly to Ohlins specs. But they will charge you to do it half *** with non Ohlins fluids

So therefore I send mine to Kyle Racing in the US, they are an approved Ohlins rebuild center. And have the proper equipment and Ohlins oil
They have a website and also adds on Ebay for this service also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Stee...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f400fb9f0&vxp=mtr

That is $85 us for the valve swap and bleeding and new oil, for just a rebuild it would be even cheaper. But you have to pay for shipping both ways

Also turn around for any damper I have ever sent them was 24 hours

Thanks dude. I contacted him and waiting a response. I was gonna get hyperpro but you sold me on ohlins since we last talked.

Had a Scott's, hated it (thanks johnnyp lol)

Had a GPR, slightly better

Had and have a couple different makes of linear, way better

Just spend the extra 100 bucks and get an Ohlins

Had a Scott's, hated it (thanks johnnyp lol)

Had a GPR, slightly better

Had and have a couple different makes of linear, way better

Just spend the extra 100 bucks and get an Ohlins

Hey dont blame me some people love them, personally I feel I have moved onto better but also slightly more expensive things LOL

And for others having color choices is more important that actual function, so a leaky GPR wins

Back
Top Bottom