Steering Dampers or Stabilizers for sports Bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Steering Dampers or Stabilizers for sports Bikes

Hey dont blame me some people love them, personally I feel I have moved onto better but also slightly more expensive things LOL

And for others having color choices is more important that actual function, so a leaky GPR wins

Lol, even then you can get a hyperpro!

Lol, even then you can get a hyperpro!

Never tired one personally, once I decided to go liner I just said F it and went with that Swedish gold! Never looked back....The poser in me still re powder coats their shock springs, and I also re anodize some parts black

I've had my ohlins revalved locally at Z1 who has the proper vaccume machine, it works. On my 08 Gsxr 1000 I have a hyper pro which is mounted in the stock location and it works perfectly. I've also used a Scotts damper and it worked fine as well.

The scotts felt too stiff until I was up to speed, the ohlins I have cranked to almost full stiff, the hyperpro I don't even notice it's there and it's still 8 clicks from full hard.

If your bike has that option, most bikes do not have that option like your GSXR and require a full kit with mounting brackets. His 2014 ZX6R being one that does require a full kit

You can buy it from Kawaski like I did but you will get an OEM market damper that still needs the rebuild, or you can buy the aftermarket kit from Ohlins. Both are the same price range so I would go for the aftermarket Ohlins....As I made the mistake of not waiting for the aftermarket kit, and then had to send it out, also the aftermarket comes with billet brackets, and the OEM comes with cast brackets for the same price MSRP

FYI 09-12 ZX6R came with OEM Ohlins damper and mounting, 2013+ do not. Both Kawasaki and Ohlins offer it as an upgrade kit, Kawasaki sells you the OEM market Ohlins damper with their own cast brackets, Ohlins sells you the kit with billet brackets

Okay, so what do you mean by rebuild? as I am a new rider I have no clue what you mean by re-build and how this damper thing works. I read about it and it sounded like a good idea to get one if ur riding at high speeds. last thing you want to experience is a tank slapper as they call it.

Kawi has it for $765 + tax... ebay has one for $700.. I'm not sure what this cast and clipper thing means.

Okay, so what do you mean by rebuild? as I am a new rider I have no clue what you mean by re-build and how this damper thing works. I read about it and it sounded like a good idea to get one if ur riding at high speeds. last thing you want to experience is a tank slapper as they call it.

Kawi has it for $765 + tax... ebay has one for $700.. I'm not sure what this cast and clipper thing means.

Cast brackets from Kawasaki are made from a mold, billet parts from Ohlins are machined from a solid piece of aluimnum. They look nicer and are better quality, to some it means nothing but generally anything billet is better then a cast part....They are machined to a higher tolerance and billet has less flex then a cast part so its more rigid

By rebuild I mean because your buying it from Kawasaki its an OEM market damper, and will have little to no difference between full off and full stiff because it will have the bleed hole in the valve like I posted a picture of. So for 2 reasons you are better off going with the aftermarket Ohlins, it wont require a rebuild/valve swap and it comes with better quality brackets

Like many will tell you the OEM market Ohlins are almost like having a fake damper, its there, there is a knob on it to turn to make adjustments but turning that knob does little to nothing in terms of dampening unless you have it re valved/rebuilt

If you came here I would give you an OEM market one and tell you to move it with the adjustment all the way off then on, and you would be able to move it just the same. Then I would give you an aftermarket Ohlins and on all the way off it will feel like the OEM one when it was all the way stiff. Then when set to all the way stiff you would barely even be able to move it with your hands. On the bike mine at full stiff I can barely turn the bars from side to side, and even when I do its very slow and very stiff

Last edited:
I have a Bitubo on my Daytona, and more than happy with it.

I'm not sure if they have 'em yet for the 2014 ZX6r's, but might worth taking a look at if they do. I'd say they're comparable to Ohlins.

Got my Ohlins damper re-valved at Z1 cycletech, they have a proper Ohlins vacuum bleeder, made a world of difference.

Back
Top Bottom