Trailering 2 bikes on one trailer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering 2 bikes on one trailer

hammakat

I am moving in January and will need to trailer my bikes on a uhaul 5x9 utility trailer. My problem is that these trailers only have 6 tiedowns total. one in each corner and two at the mid point of the trailer. Can someone give me advice on how to tie-down these 2 bikes?

This worked for us:

DSCN6883_mod-L.jpg

A bit later, we got a couple of Baxley wheel chocks and canyon dancers to make this setup a bit more secure.

Question Lightcycle... I've only seen Canyon Dancers but never used them -- what advantage do they offer?

Also, they can't work on bikes with handguards that connect to the barends, can they?

This worked for us:

DSCN6883_mod-L.jpg

A bit later, we got a couple of Baxley wheel chocks and canyon dancers to make this setup a bit more secure.

So you have the front tied down on both sides then one additional strap from the riders rearset to the bar on the trailer? That's pulling the bike upwards, isn't it? At best you're pulling the rear of the bike sideways, no? It's hard to fully see what's going on in that photo.

Question Lightcycle... I've only seen Canyon Dancers but never used them -- what advantage do they offer?

Also, they can't work on bikes with handguards that connect to the barends, can they?

Canyon Dancers are great because they provide a tie-down point on your bike. You don't have to worry about trying to tie off a ratchet strap to your fork tubes. They bring the tie downs out past your fairings as well so you're not loading up a piece of plastic with the tension from a ratchet strap.

They slip over each grip so, no, if you've got anything mounted on the end of your bar (hand guards, mirrors, etc.), they won't work unless you remove these items. Bar ends are no problem though.

The strap on them is designed such that as you tighten a ratchet strap on each end, the plastic cups that go over your grips tighten towards the middle of the bike so there's no way that they can slip off.

This worked for us:

DSCN6883_mod-L.jpg

Wow thanks for this. Any chance of a higher resolution picture? I can't tell but did you secure the right side of the bars as well?

Edit - nevermind on the picture I can enlarge this one.

So you have the front tied down on both sides then one additional strap from the riders rearset to the bar on the trailer? That's pulling the bike upwards, isn't it? At best you're pulling the rear of the bike sideways, no? It's hard to fully see what's going on in that photo.

Yes, four straps on each bike, two in the front tying them own, one on the rearset to the rear corner, one on the frame to the side of the trailer.

What you can't see in the picture is a ratchet strap between the two bikes that pulls them together.

Exactly. That's why I want a better photo! :D

I'll think this is the only picture I took, I'll see if I can find a closeup.

Lightcycle, thanks for clarifying! Did you have any concerns about the one bike being backwards? Is there any concern with the fairing acting like a wind scoop at highway speeds?

Lightcycle, thanks for clarifying! Did you have any concerns about the one bike being backwards? Is there any concern with the fairing acting like a wind scoop at highway speeds?

We trailered like that a few times that summer before buying our own setup. Never seemed to be a problem.

Here is a closeup of with the tie-downs highlighted:

tiedown-X3.jpg

I see... so a Canyon Dancer would be of little benefit to me (Vstrom and DRZ) since I have plenty of places to tie-down and not interfere with fairings and I have hand guards on both anyway.

Canyon Dancers are great because they provide a tie-down point on your bike. You don't have to worry about trying to tie off a ratchet strap to your fork tubes. They bring the tie downs out past your fairings as well so you're not loading up a piece of plastic with the tension from a ratchet strap.

They slip over each grip so, no, if you've got anything mounted on the end of your bar (hand guards, mirrors, etc.), they won't work unless you remove these items. Bar ends are no problem though.

The strap on them is designed such that as you tighten a ratchet strap on each end, the plastic cups that go over your grips tighten towards the middle of the bike so there's no way that they can slip off.

Just remember they need to be snug, not cranked down. A lot of people compress the crap out of their suspension....just a little is all it needs to stabilize the front wheel (especially with the corrugated floor that uhaul has. Tire shouldn't turn once inside a "groove")

Also, when you trailer the way you are, you might blow your windscreen or tail section off. I've seen it happen.

Back
Top Bottom