Motorcycle Research Paper Question - Why do you ride? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Research Paper Question - Why do you ride?

I was about to mention that but knowing there are some feminists here they will accuse me of objectifying women

Equal opportunity: I'm sure you have attracted your fair share of men as well.

Unless you ride, it's hard to explain to non-riders. All they see are the 'donor cycles' or 'it's dangerous' perspective.

It's just something that feels right and it's fun. This isn't a dress rehearsal so better do the things that are fun then spend the next 50 years of your life regretting all the things you didn't do.

Unless you ride, it's hard to explain to non-riders. All they see are the 'donor cycles' or 'it's dangerous' perspective.

It's just something that feels right and it's fun. This isn't a dress rehearsal so better do the things that are fun then spend the next 50 years of your life regretting all the things you didn't do.

This ^

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." quote attributed to Mark Twain

Last edited:
I started to ride when I was young -- I grew up in the country and my brothers had bikes (dirt and street). When I was about 8 to 10 my brother taught me to ride his XR80. Three years later I had saved enough to buy my own XR80, and did so despite my Mom's reservations.

Then I discovered freedom. I rode that bike everywhere, and this was before green plates and insurance for offroad bikes was common or mandatory. I investigated local forests, gravel pits, rode around farms, got cops called on me for trespassing and rode through corn fields to avoid them -- good times.

When I was 15 I upgraded to a CR125 and became amazed at what a bike could do. Launch it off a 30' cliff -- no problem. Full throttle through a plowed field -- just lean back and giv'er.

Since then I've pretty much always had a bike, aside from a few gaps here and there of a year or two. I've owned bikes for transportation in Indonesia where I also explored a lot of Java, including many volcanoes, beaches, mountains, etc..

To me, a bike is a source of freedom and adventure. I typically try to follow the law these days, but I know that if I wanted or needed to I can take my bike anywhere and go anywhere. The speed and exhilaration and the enjoyment of the wind in my face and the sights and sounds of the areas I'm passing all just add to it. Then when you finally stop you have men, women, and children say 'Cool bike!', 'you rode that here from Ontario!', 'Looks like fun!', etc, etc, is just the cherry on the top.

There is probably much more that I can add, but that is enough for now. I cannot foresee not having a bike ever again. If I live long enough or become disabled enough that I can't ride a regular bike, I'll be looking for a Ural or similar.

This is an epidemic in modern society: be afraid of anything, thus do nothing. This has lead to the default of playing video games or masturbating to the internet, while gaining massive weight and dealing with diabetes.
Secondly: getting very old is overrated. Watching someone die in an old age convalescent home over years is not my idea of dignified death. Makes you wonder what the point is.

Riding a bike is exciting at a level that no one has managed to replace with sex , drugs, or booze yet. Sex is pretty close.

Quite simply to get out of town and glide thru country landscapes. It used to be if riding was good, riding fast was better. That's gone away, mostly. Why people ride Harleys I'll never understand. Oh, wait, that's another thread. Pardon me.

Mostly for travels. My motorcycle is my main method of transportation and it allows me to get out whenever i want. Did some awesome travels over the summer and now i need more!

I was about to mention that but knowing there are some feminists here they will accuse me of objectifying women

slap them :D

there's no better way to fix a ****** day than hopping on your bike and aimlessly cruising in the middle of nowhere. That's why.

fresh air for the family jewels while squidding

I got my first street bike in the mid-70's and had my "M" licence for 3 years before I even bothered to get my "G", or whatever it was called back then. It just seemed like a natural progression from bicycles and, at the time, it was far more affordable for me to buy and operate a bike than a car.

I have always preferred riding to driving and truly believe that the journey is more important than the destination. This is likely the reason that I tend to take the "scenic route" so often. Every time I'm in my truck driving along a nice road I always think how it would be to ride that same road.

First and foremost I ride because it is fun. The feeling of freedom and sense of flying while still on the ground is part of that fun. Riding is the best way to be able to truly enjoy the journey and take in the sights and smells of the world around you, a sensation that is simply not the same when you are in a cage. Before I retired I found riding to be the best way to unwind after a bad day at work. The long way home always had me arrive at home in a better frame of mind.

Ive had bikes for decades, 1st was its cool, then it was fun and practical, then it was just fun and not practical. Now its just because after decades my Mom still hates that I ride 'em. She rode till she was sixty, but hates me riding.

slap them :D

there's no better way to fix a ****** day than hopping on your bike and aimlessly cruising in the middle of nowhere. That's why.

+1000000000000
Not to mention
- Its just dam sexy
- Gives Freedom
- Great way to meet people
- Takes every thought out of your head and puts a smile on your face....
So many reason..... But just pure love for it...

Describing motorcycles and why a person rides is like describing sex to a virgin .. Sayin' "Cuz it's fun" doesn't quite justify it.... Depends on the type of riding. Freedom comes to mind... Feeling in control of a machine, feeling the wind, being part of the elements, feeling where you are riding. Having a connection between you a machine and the environment ... That's why I ride

Riding clears the mind,forces me to forget about all the crap . swing a leg over, clear the mind and ride.

Ive had bikes for decades, 1st was its cool, then it was fun and practical, then it was just fun and not practical. Now its just because after decades my Mom still hates that I ride 'em. She rode till she was sixty, but hates me riding.
^^^^this guy has a cool mom. Mine doesn't ride and just hates me. :-|

Describing motorcycles and why a person rides is like describing sex to a virgin .. Sayin' "Cuz it's fun" doesn't quite justify it.... Depends on the type of riding. Freedom comes to mind... Feeling in control of a machine, feeling the wind, being part of the elements, feeling where you are riding. Having a connection between you a machine and the environment ... That's why I ride

OP ^^^^^ this is coming from someone who is recovering from a recent serious crash. That in itself is a reason that can't be put into words.

mr. walczak -- how goes the recovery?

I started to ride when I was young -- I grew up in the country and my brothers had bikes (dirt and street). When I was about 8 to 10 my brother taught me to ride his XR80. Three years later I had saved enough to buy my own XR80, and did so despite my Mom's reservations.

Then I discovered freedom. I rode that bike everywhere, and this was before green plates and insurance for offroad bikes was common or mandatory. I investigated local forests, gravel pits, rode around farms, got cops called on me for trespassing and rode through corn fields to avoid them -- good times.

When I was 15 I upgraded to a CR125 and became amazed at what a bike could do. Launch it off a 30' cliff -- no problem. Full throttle through a plowed field -- just lean back and giv'er.

Since then I've pretty much always had a bike, aside from a few gaps here and there of a year or two. I've owned bikes for transportation in Indonesia where I also explored a lot of Java, including many volcanoes, beaches, mountains, etc..

To me, a bike is a source of freedom and adventure. I typically try to follow the law these days, but I know that if I wanted or needed to I can take my bike anywhere and go anywhere. The speed and exhilaration and the enjoyment of the wind in my face and the sights and sounds of the areas I'm passing all just add to it. Then when you finally stop you have men, women, and children say 'Cool bike!', 'you rode that here from Ontario!', 'Looks like fun!', etc, etc, is just the cherry on the top.

There is probably much more that I can add, but that is enough for now. I cannot foresee not having a bike ever again. If I live long enough or become disabled enough that I can't ride a regular bike, I'll be looking for a Ural or similar.

I wish I had a story as cool as this. Hopefully my sons will tell a similar tale one day.

I love hearing all these reasons why we ride.

Back
Top Bottom