Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

Well I bought a mazda3 sport wagon last year 2.0l 5 speed. I like the car for what it is but kinda wish I'd gone for the 5. With 4 in the family plus a German Shepherd, it doesn't take long to fill the car.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

@joe bass

They are captain chairs

It's really a 2 by 2 by 2 seating arrangement.

It's comfortable for 4. No doubt.

5 may require some reorg or planning. Not a big deal.

Just something I don't have to worry about at the present time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A guy at work has the previous generation Mazda 5 GT with captains chairs and he loves it. It's a little homely looking, but it has a lot of room (compared to a sedan). He likes that the 3rd row of seats is available if he needs it, but I don't think he has ever put anyone back there (it's tight if they are full-sized people). He does notice the bigger GT wheels (18"?) are quite bumpy, he prefers the snows as they are on smaller rims (16"?).

I'm freaking spoiled with the VW. It just drives so well on the highway and being a wagon, can load it up. And I even got roof rails and cargo box for more stuff.

It's not going to win any stop light races but, the torque just feels great. Loaded or just myself, the seats, the wheel, its just planted and feels just as great as the day I got it.

Gonna miss it.

The rogue looks good. And functionally does what a small suv does. The latest version having the family resemblance to the pathfinder is nice.

But road manners? Yuck! It's quiet. It will do the job. The seats? I feel sorry for astronauts. Apparently Nissan designed them with nasa. Maybe they would do well in a rocket or shuttle? For even a test ride, I'm not sure?

The mazda5? It is what it is. But the steering input, seating and overall ergos feel better.

It's well equipped . Saddled with a 5 speed auto but that's better than the CVT.

I'm a little concerned how it will do loaded with the stuff for camping but, I've pulled a pop up camper with the Matrix and managed to arrive at our destination just fine.

The big smile grill is a little cheesy and the shape is minivan.

But there isn't a lot on the road and driving something different is alright by me as long as it's not a vehicle with a name that starts with a p. Like Pacer or Pinto etc.

And it's not a dodge product.

Definitely need to tint the windows as the greenhouse effect in the summer will be horrendous.

They don't have a lot I stock which means I can't get too fussy about color. A local dealer has a dark grey GT and as soon as I get the green light, will likely pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input gang. Much appreciated as always.

Last edited:
Thread revival time.

The Mazda5 just crested 100k and will be looking to replace soon.

The list has....

Mazda5 GT

Rogue S AWD

Forester 2.5i with CVT

Legacy 2.5i

Fusion SE

Keep in mind I have to stay within the trim level that is on the list.

So I can't get the touring trim on the subies. Just the base trim with cvt.

Same with Nissan. S trim only. Where as the SV would have better packages but, I'm stuck with whatever they can toss in at the S trim level.

Sedans don't work for my family.

The Mazda was discontinued in the USA but still offered here in Canada.

I have a love hate relationship with the current one I have.

Love the sliding doors and utility of the van. Love leather seating for clean up from muddy pets and active children.

Like the Xeon headlights.

Hate the power train. It's slow. And worse when loaded for camping.

Interior noise is terrible. Folks can't hear me when on blue tooth for a work call.

Comfort is ok but, I was spoiled with VW in the past so, I don't find it very comfortable.

But the utility element has been very good.

The 2 by 2 by 2 seating is a blessing a a curse. When it's 4 or less travelling, the tears seats down, no problem. Toss in a 5th person and then you got to raise on of the seats in the very back.

And it's not very nice for leg room. Definitely for this younger than teens. But if real young and needing a car seat, it's a pain.

So you have to do a little bit of juggling to make it a 6 seater and you have to assign seating based on passenger sizing etc.

Fuel consumption has been approximately 10L per 100 kms.

Maintenance has been ok. Nothing unscheduled other than needing the original OEM tires replaced and an alignment. Something that is common with this model.

Something I'd thought I'd like, aren't that great.

Auto windshield wipers? Rather control my own.

Power moon roof.

Ok around town but, the design is old and it allows a lot of wind and noise. Which doesn't help when the vehicle is already noisy at highway speed with the windows up.

I'm leaning towards the Forester this time. I'll give up having the 6 person capacity and deal will cloth interior.

Dogs still fit in the back. Even in the lowest trim level, still comes well equipped with back up camera and like all the rest, in an slip 3 across in the back seat.

I lose some of the convenience of the Mazda but, gain a better quality vehicle and awd.

I can't do the sedans. And the Rogue? Been there, done it and got the tee shirt.

Guess I'm only really updating the thread for anyone that has ever considered a Madza5.

It's not a bad machine. But it's not a great one either. Lol.

Mazda is severely dated, Rogue is a piece of crap, the fusion is, well, a Ford. I'd go with one of the Subies likely the Forester as its far more versatile.

too bad no vw wagon... theyre spacious for family...

id go forester

Your company makes wierd choices for company vehicles.

So basically this is down to Mazda5 (outdated, and evidently not to your liking), Rogue (yuck), or Forester.

Given those choices, I'd vote Forester.

I don't grasp why there isn't an Equinox, Escape, or Cherokee on that list (or next-size-down models if pricing dictates thus). I'd take any one of those.

Quebec based company. Never had GM or Chrysler products.

And for the life of me, I can't make any sense out of why some come and go from the list.

The Forester was off the list last year while the Altima was on.

And the Mazda5? I don't get it. But it's there.

I have to admit I like switching things up when given the chance.

I only got one vehicle twice and it was the VW before dieselgate. No more VW since. Lol.

Going to check out the Forester tomorrow to have a look.

Hey @nakkers, just curious, how are the 100k buyouts? Or are they not even an option? I miss the days that I could pick up an off lease minivan from my BIL's company at 100k for $8grand all in. Drove the first one for 6 years and sold it for 3k.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

@ Joe Bass. Not great. I always ask and the buy out is high because the vehicle is approximately 15-18 months old. So the mileage is high but the vehicle is fairly young.

I think they quote me blue book but I'm not sure on condition?

Then what ever they get at auction, which I suspect is much less, they did their best. But they don't look to offer us the best deal. I think they try to minimize the loss by tell us a high quote and maybe the employee thinks it's better than what they get from a dealer etc. But it's maybe a grand or so less.

The only one I kind of regret is the last VW TDI. It was around 15k. Or just under. For a 2014 back in May of 2016.

Wasn't bad but, it wasn't a steal. Even though it was well maintained, I still was nervous about DPF grenades and I'd have to borrow the funds on my loc. Not a low interest rate companies were offering through dealerships etc.

Oh, and they wouldn't approve the DSG service, so is was over due and it's kinda expensive if you don't do it yourself.

Bike fluid change? No problem.

Crawl under the car, call me a princess. Lol.

Hey @nakkers, just curious, how are the 100k buyouts? Or are they not even an option? I miss the days that I could pick up an off lease minivan from my BIL's company at 100k for $8grand all in. Drove the first one for 6 years and sold it for 3k.

Last year I got my aunt a Montana with under 100k on it for $900 from my workplace. She's still driving it. Think it's almost doubled in mileage now. Needed nothing for safety and the only issue she's had was a power steering line went which she fixed herself with $10 worth of high pressure hose and clamps.

Last edited:
Last year I got my aunt a Montana with under 100k on it for $900 from my workplace. She's still driving it. Think it's almost doubled in mileage now.

There was one this year with only 40k on the engine. 80k total. Was $1200.
Those are my kinda deals!
I abuse my vehicles. We eat them. Load em up and use them to haul just about anything.....

Oh, and they wouldn't approve the DSG service, so is was over due and it's kinda expensive if you don't do it yourself.

Isn't that a lease violation or something

Last year I got my aunt a Montana with under 100k on it for $900 from my workplace. She's still driving it. Think it's almost doubled in mileage now. Needed nothing for safety and the only issue she's had was a power steering line went which she fixed herself with $10 worth of high pressure hose and clamps.

wife had a Montana once....great car until the motor decided to implode....250k!

same happened to a Pacifica my wife got from her dad...220k and the motor exploded on the on ramp to the QEW....at least got 500$ from the wrecker yard.

Isn't that a lease violation or something

It's the leasing company that manages the fleet.

If the tranny grenades because of the maintenance schedule wasn't followed, it's on them I suppose.

Any service outside of oil changes and fuel requires approval. When I notified them of the service, they said pass.

wife had a Montana once....great car until the motor decided to implode....250k!

same happened to a Pacifica my wife got from her dad...220k and the motor exploded on the on ramp to the QEW....at least got 500$ from the wrecker yard.
Might be the wife.....

Keep her away from the Volt.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Update. The Mazda5 I've been driving has been trouble free for the last 115,000kms. It's been a good little work horse. Versatility of a van made for plenty of trips to home improvement stops, thrift stores and the like. The steering and suspension are still good as the day I got it. The power train? Avg fuel Eco 9.3L/100 kms with the vast majority highway and at 120km/h. It does lack power for merging on the highway.

The factory Bluetooth is terrible. Almost everyone I had to conduct business via telephone complained they couldn't hear me. At least while on the highway. Around town, it did the job.

Did burn through the stock rubber in the first season and required an alignment. The Yokohama replacements from the dealer served well.

No squeaks or rattles and seems just as buttoned down as new.

In terms of utility and reliability, it's served itself well. It's a mini minivan.

Back
Top Bottom