Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

Not sure if you made your decision yet. But get the forester... if you know whats good for you.

If someone else is paying for it and im driving it id get the subaru as long as they're paying for fuel.

If im paying for it none of the above.

what i was implying is that repairs/maintenence, etc isnt even an issue. They said pick a car. Close your eyes and point.

If the car is a lemon, you arent stuck with it, the company is.

Liberal?

what i was implying is that repairs/maintenence, etc isnt even an issue. they said pick a car. close your eyes and point.

if the car is a lemon, you arent stuck with it, the company is.

Some vehicles are considerably more pleasant to live with on a day-to-day basis than others are. "Close your eyes and point" might land you on something you don't like driving. The VW is very good. The Escape is also nice. The Subaru is meh but has all wheel drive. I've yet to drive a late-model Nissan that I didn't dislike.

Been renting a lot of cars for work recently. My go to vehicle? Ford fusion. Followed by focus ( even though I'm allowed full size I'd rather take the focus over 80% of the fleet available). New escape is nice although I feel that the 1.6 eco boost is not enough for it. The eco boost fusion on the other hand, goes like a scalded cat.

surpise of the fleet? The new sonata. That is a lot of car for the price. Interior, engine, road noise etc, is all on par with fusion.

Disappointment?, new cherokee. What a POS. 9 gear tranny that won't shift into 9th. gutless engine that HAS to rev out to move.
New Altima. That CVT can lick my left nut. Bland interior, simply nothing exceptional about the car.

I rent with National and have their Emerald club membership. Basically walk up to any car on the lot and drive away. I will not touch Chrysler products (and I drive a jeep lol) nor GM. the cruze can't hold a candle to the focus even though they are direct competition.

Some vehicles are considerably more pleasant to live with on a day-to-day basis than others are. "Close your eyes and point" might land you on something you don't like driving. The VW is very good. The Escape is also nice. The Subaru is meh but has all wheel drive. I've yet to drive a late-model Nissan that I didn't dislike.

I have a 2006 Nissan x- trail AWD and it's by far one of the better SUVs I've driven, better than my escape. No idea what the Rogue is like but that was supposed to be the replacement for the X-trail. For work reasons I was given free rentals for a while going to and from Ottawa so I booked different SUV/cars every week for fun. Worst thing I ever drove was a big GMC SUV. Seemed the steering wheel only gave you a 80% chance of defining where you were headed.

Thanks Brian. Yup, exactly.

And when travelling an average 100,000 kilometers in 15 months, I spend a lot of time in the vehicle. So, I want that time to be as comfortable as possible and the experience to be somewhat enjoyable. The VW is the driver's pick to be certain and while the fuel expense isn't something to worry about. Having to make the pit stops do. If I have to fuel up every other day compared to twice a week, it's a lot more convenient.

I take my kids camping a few times a year and do various road trips where the vehicle is loaded up. The VW is a bit on the narrow side for passengers but, the cargo space is second to none.

When it comes to the power train, I'm cruising the 400 series or parked in rush hour like the rest. Not really carving any roads so, the thrill factor is left to two wheels. The torque of the diesel is great, the DSG shifts crisply and flawlessly.

So then it comes to cabin comfort. The VW seats, steering wheel and road manners are great. It's a pleasure to drive.

But, I have to admit I like sitting up higher in the SUVs.

I had the previous generation Escape and it was very spacious. The powertrain was the 2.5 i4 with 6 speed auto which worked hard and the fuel mileage averaged 10L/100 kms. I enjoyed the Sync system and satellite radio. A 2010 Escape compared to a 2013 Golf Wagon, the golf wins but, I still enjoyed the experience of both for different reasons.

I'm not a fan of CVT transmissions which the Rogue and Forester have.

Coming from the Escape, I looked at the VW and Rogue. The redesigned Escape wasn't out at the time and inventory of the VW was sparse and dealers weren't jumping at letting them go at fleet costs.

The Rogue appeared to have higher quality than the Escape I had, so having the SUV height and driving manners of a car seemed appealing to me at the time. I also happen to like Nissan. Most colleagues have the Altima and are happy. The Rogue was a mixed bag for me. I got used to the rear view camera and miss it in the VW. I like the ground clearance of an SUV. I've plowed through some snow in the VW that would have been less adventurous in a higher vehicle.

The new Rogue and Escape have some bells and whistles the VW doesn't have. Although subjective, they both look pretty good IMO. The Forester won't win any beauty contests but, it does have the rear view camera and higher seat height and AWD. It gives up some cargo space in the back.

Reviews and opinions only go so far. A little time spent checking things out will help determine which path I go. I enjoy having outside opinions where others may have some experience with the vehicles I get to chose from.

PS, The Rogue apparently comes with a moon roof standard with the SV. I don't know why but, I find that appealing. I've had moon/sun roofs in many vehicles over the years and it's one guilty pleasure I enjoy. They can leak, there is wind noise, they take up head room etc. I know, lame.

Last edited:
What have you crossed off the list?

What have you test drive?

Now that winter is here, does your company supply winter tires as well?

I have a 2006 Nissan x- trail AWD and it's by far one of the better SUVs I've driven, better than my escape. No idea what the Rogue is like but that was supposed to be the replacement for the X-trail. For work reasons I was given free rentals for a while going to and from Ottawa so I booked different SUV/cars every week for fun. Worst thing I ever drove was a big GMC SUV. Seemed the steering wheel only gave you a 80% chance of defining where you were headed.

While Nissan loves to give you the opportunity to steer the car with a pinky as quickly as you want regardless the speed you are doing = how anyone driving Nissan knows what the front wheels are doing? I wonder whether Nissan has heard of steering calibration, ever? I am not going to say anything about the CVT .... buddy loves it, because he thinks the car's tranny thinks for him ... I guess he puts the throttle pedal in the same spot every time he steps on it and lets the CVT do the rest. After 10 minutes driving the Altima, I thought the clutch was slipping ... LOL ... terrible vehicle in my opinion.

All I'd like to know is ... what's the name of the guy who designed the front end of the Rogue? Normally, I don't comment on the look of vehicles, and looks are not high on my list, but I simply could never buy this one, regardless who pays for it ... OK ... maybe as a company vehicle free of charge to me ... LOL

Maybe later Nissans aren't great but I like the feedback I get from the X trail and the road. It is very easy to steer and much lighter than my Escape. It's a 4 cyl vs my V6 Escape so I miss a fair bit of "get up and go" but for everything else it's a very well mannered car. The ride is superior to the escape and it sips gas.

Your Xtrail dates back to the pre-CVT era, if my recollection is correct, so I don't think you have that miserable abomination.

As for the steering, I don't know at what point someone at Nissan forgot what "feedback" meant; maybe some models are better than others. Yes, they turn "easily" if your judgment is based on how easily the car will change directions when rotating the steering wheel with only the force that your pinkie finger can exert (and many Toyota/Lexus vehicles have the same issue). But go into a turn and start turning harder and harder. At what point are the front wheels reaching the limit of traction? If the back end starts stepping out, what's the correct amount to unwind the steering in order to catch it? (yes, I know modern ESP will bail you out if you have no idea.) When the steering is that overassisted ... can't tell.

I have a vehicle that the automotive press loves to hate. But guess what ... The power steering provides just enough assistance at parking-lot speeds, and it reverts to *almost* a manual steering rack at anything above parking-lot speeds. The steering is actually rather heavy. But you can tell *exactly* when the front starts pushing. It's not perfect; there is a damping effect meant to reduce bump-impact feedback that starts interfering if you turn the wheel too fast. But as modern vehicles go, the steering is pretty good, and the press writers never mention that. The understeer and lack of grip that the press never fail to criticise on this vehicle are a set of better wheels and tires away from being fixed (and my summer wheels fix it ... back to winter tires on stock wheels for now, but so be it)

If you camp, and don't pay for gas, it's hard to fault the awd forester.
Plus, ever hear of AWD doughnuts?!?! MEGA fun

Less frequent trips to the gas station with the TDI would weigh in heavily as a factor though.. I don't think you can go wrong for your usage. Camping with either would be great.

Ever driven an AWD in snow?

Not a car or SUV. Got lots of experience with old V8 4x4 Ford Bronco, Dodge Ramcharger and old school Cherokee. All for snow plowing.

What have you crossed off the list?

What have you test drive?

Now that winter is here, does your company supply winter tires as well?

Heading out Saturday to Test Drive with the little lady. I get snow tires with each vehicle.

Leading runner is the VW but, I need to reach out today or tomorrow and see if there is any available that meet the specs. Comfortline, DSG, no sunroof or leather. The 2015 won't be out until March or April next year. Stock is limited so, I won't like get to chose a color. Not a big deal. Thanks to another member for a PM to a source to check out.

The rest I'm just not sure. Is the AWD enough to sway me away from the rest? I work from home if the weather sucks.

Had a Rogue (previous gen) It was alright. I find the new version to have more cargo room and it was one of my gripe from the last one.

Had a Escape (previous gen) It was alright. I find the updated version has less cargo room.

The Forester passenger cabin seems nice enough but, the rear cargo area is the smallest of the bunch.

But, roof rails and a top box can solve some cargo issues.

Still like skipping the fuel station with the TDI.

Hoping there is a Black or Blue Comfortline with DSG out there available for me with Bluetooth for hands free calling.

Not a car or SUV. Got lots of experience with old V8 4x4 Ford Bronco, Dodge Ramcharger and old school Cherokee. All for snow plowing.

AWD is not 4WD, they drive differently. There are times where AWD is nicer than 4WD but it doesn't have the locking diffs, all wheel drive i found is really any wheel drive, 2 wheel drive is 1 wheel drive and unless you have lockers 4 wheel drive is really 2 wheel drive (fr&rl or fl and rr).

AWD is not 4WD, they drive differently. There are times where AWD is nicer than 4WD but it doesn't have the locking diffs, all wheel drive i found is really any wheel drive, 2 wheel drive is 1 wheel drive and unless you have lockers 4 wheel drive is really 2 wheel drive (fr&rl or fl and rr).

Some AWD come with locking differential. I know my Hyundai Santa Fe XL does. I haven't tried it but I wouldn't expect great things but I'm not taking it to the jeep jamboree or anything.

Why does everyone hate CVTs so much? The last time I rode in an Altima SL it seemed to work perfectly fine to me

Back
Top Bottom