Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

if someone else is paying and servicing it, who gives a **** what you buy.

if they are paying your gas, go with the subaru.
if they arent, Ford.

The Golf versus the Escape (take your pick), then a big gap, then the Subaru (slow, horrible CVT, thirsty in the real world), then another big gap, then the Nissan (horrible steering, horrible CVT).

My sister has an Escape 1.6 Ecoboost, and it has been fine aside from having been one of the early ones that had a couple of recalls; those hiccups are behind them. Real world fuel consumption is around 9 L/100 km.

The general consensus on the ski form I am on where lots of people drive subarus is that the head starts leaking at ~105 000K. Dunno.
I own a suby.

2006 impreza. Head gasket leaked at around 150k km. Ive known some others for which it didnt and some for which it did.

Otherwise. Not any other single major problem and it runs AWESOME (im at 220k now and had a heat shield rattle..just needed to tighten it up)

So basically

VW is your best choice since you already know it and like it... unless you tell me youre gonna be going to snowy places often. If so, suby is your best bet...and how long are you gonna be keeping that vehicule anyways? You don't have to worry about a head gasket if you're not keeping it long enough.:D

It's a company vehicle so, they determine the specs. Must be auto tranny. They determine trim level. So, no leather.

The Subie was on the short list for AWD but, other than that, it really doesn't have an redeeming qualities. It's the 2.5 with CVT and it's a dog.

Looks like the VW again. Just wish I wasn't up for a renewal until the 2015 updated version was released.

I know, I know. It's a bike forum but, I posted in Romper Room for opinions on cages available to me. Thanks for the input folks!!!!

I'd say that's perfect timing. Getting the most refined, all the bugs-ironed-out iteration of that particular generation.
Sure it's german, but it's a VW afterall. Like all german brands, their mid-cycle refreshes and final iterations are always the 'creme de la creme'.

Signed,
Self-proclaimed-never-early-adopter.

Like many have said, If you are paying fuel the VW, if not go with the AWD in the Subby.

I know its not the same vehicle any more. I had a first gen Forester, 5 speed non turbo. it was gutless, but it was a tank, never a concern in any weather. it was also pretty problem free. I had a couple of items needing repair, but never any of the engine issues I have read about

My sister has an Escape 1.6 Ecoboost, and it has been fine aside from having been one of the early ones that had a couple of recalls; those hiccups are behind them. Real world fuel consumption is around 9 L/100 km.

But TDI, must be a ton more fun to drive ... both steering and power, no?

I've managed to survive driving all over Ontario with FWD and decent snow tires. The VW is the front runner and likely choice. It's just when given a list to chose from, I like to entertain the options available to me. I only keep the vehicle until it hits 100,000 kms and get something else.

Fuel is expensed so, not a concern. Although it does put up a flag to my supervisor if my expense report is mostly fuel. The VW is a couple of times a week.
The torque and feel of the VW makes for an excellent driving experience. Although it's a bit low to the ground, that is a minor gripe. It's a car after all.

I wanted to like the Subie but, have to say I don't think the AWD is enough to push me away from the VW when everything else is considered.

One factor that may have me not go with a VW is availability. From what I understand, what ever the dealers have, that's it until the new version becomes available. And since it's a fleet purchase, dealers aren't bending over backwards to swap inventory for a marginal sale.

I'll have a better idea when I go shopping Saturday.

Still going to check out them all out to solidify my impressions and opinions.

Like many have said, If you are paying fuel the VW, if not go with the AWD in the Subby.

+1

I drove an Outback that had the 2.5L w/CVT, it's a fine engine. TDI prolly has similar low-end torque though.

Close call, but I think I'd still pick the Subaru if gas was reimbursed.

VW is bringing an AWD 4motion TDI wagon with manual trans to the US market, may not be available in Canada. I will be looking at importing one.

VW is bringing an AWD 4motion TDI wagon with manual trans to the US market, may not be available in Canada. I will be looking at importing one.

Don't tease me now.... source?

Peoples' car. For the win, diesel.

Motortrend covered the NY autoshow in April, it was shown as production ready but no date announced back in April. Could come as 2015 with the new version.

Why not look into a Jeep?

What's your price point?

What's your price point?

The Cherokee is the only thing Jeep makes that has decent road manners and could be somewhere near what I think the price point is. (A Cherokee under the skin is Dart and the new Chrysler 200. Fiat/Chrysler CUSW platform) And even at that, I don't think it's a match for a VW Golf, in terms of ride and handling, and interior. VW is very good at that.

What's your price point?

It's not an option. I get a list of vehicles to chose from. No Chrysler or Jeep products. No GM or Koren.

I have a few more options for a car. Camery, Fusion, Altima. The sedan's don't do well for a father of three and their gear. Thus the VW wagon and the SUVs.

It's not an option. I get a list of vehicles to chose from. No Chrysler or Jeep products. No GM or Koren.

I have a few more options for a car. Camery, Fusion, Altima. The sedan's don't do well for a father of three and their gear. Thus the VW wagon and the SUVs.

im not getting it.. if you arent paying for it, who cares ? get anything.

now that you mentioned Altima's.. thats what i'd go for if someone else was paying.

and with the money you save from not making car payments, go buy a cheapo minivan for running the kids/equipment around

now that you mentioned Altima's.. thats what i'd go for if someone else was paying.

and with the money you save from not making car payments, go buy a cheapo minivan for running the kids/equipment around

My employer leases, insures and maintains the vehicle so, it's their money, their terms. They provide me the wheels to do my job and stipulate which vehicles I can chose from. I get to use it for personal use as well. I get a list and told to check them out and order what I want from the list.

My former employer provided a company vehicle and there was no choice. Everyone got the same thing. Couldn't even chose a color. Black wasn't an option because it didn't stay clean long and the onus was on the employee to keep it clean inside and out.

A sedan does the job for work. An SUV or wagon does better when I have the dog and kids. Thus, why I narrowed things down to the SUVs and wagon.

Last edited:

You can't say that. You have to care. You can't give up your socio-economic obligations just because somebody else is paying the freight. He works for a private company, not the government.

You can't say that. You have to care. You can't give up your socio-economic obligations just because somebody else is paying the freight. He works for a private company, not the government.

what i was implying is that repairs/maintenence, etc isnt even an issue. they said pick a car. close your eyes and point.

if the car is a lemon, you arent stuck with it, the company is.

Back
Top Bottom