Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

Interesting thread... my uncle used to get company fleet vehicles for his job (he was in sales). They always had crappy domestics to use. I was talking to him one day and asked him why can't they choose anything else and he said the same thing you said, HQ chooses the model, etc.

But when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, all the models they chose were within a few bucks of each other on a per month lease. He went back to them (after getting fleet vehicles for 10+ years) and ask them to change the policy because he hated the fleet cars. They did change it the following year.

What they did was the company had a set amount they budgeted for every employee, a set amount for car itself (lease), the insurance, fuel (based on average mpg for mid sized car), repairs, snow tires and the employee could choose whatever he wanted. The set amounts were equivalent to what they were paying the fleet cars so was almost like a flat cost per month that the bean counters came up with. The cars were in the names of the employees and if they left the car went with them as well so the company didn't need to do any disposals on cars. Employees were just given this almost like stipend every month for vehicle costs. If you went small and fuel efficient and cheap on insurance you were saving money on yourself and pocketed the difference. If you went all out and bought a gas hog, the extra over average expense you paid for. This freed up the vehicles to stuff that employees liked to drive. I recall my uncle had a Sienna for 3 years, then a RDX and a M35. Extra amounts paid out of pocket. His co-worker used it to lease out a Porsche Cayene and paid the difference.

I have a different friend who was on a fleet program and all the cars were Ford Edge's or Fusions. 3 years ago they switched to a similar system that my uncle has that reimburses for a certain $$ value every month. He got a Benz C350 with it and paid a bit every month to make up the difference.

Is this something that you are allowed to suggest for your work ?

Interesting thread... my uncle used to get company fleet vehicles for his job (he was in sales). They always had crappy domestics to use. I was talking to him one day and asked him why can't they choose anything else and he said the same thing you said, HQ chooses the model, etc.

But when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, all the models they chose were within a few bucks of each other on a per month lease. He went back to them (after getting fleet vehicles for 10+ years) and ask them to change the policy because he hated the fleet cars. They did change it the following year.

what they did was the company had a set amount they budgeted for every employee, a set amount for insurance and set amount for fuel (based on average mpg for mid sized car) and the employee could choose whatever he wanted. The set amounts were equivalent to what they were paying the fleet cars. The cars were in the names of the employees and if they left the car went with them as well. Employees were just given this almost like stipend every month for vehicle costs. If you went small and fuel efficient and cheap on insurance you were saving money on yourself and pocketed the difference. If you went all out and bought a gas hog, the extra over average expense you paid for. This freed up the vehicles to stuff that employees liked to drive. I recall my uncle had a Sienna for 3 years, then a RDX and a M35. Extra amounts paid out of pocket. His co-worker used it to lease out a Porsche Cayene and paid the difference.

I have a different friend who was on a fleet program and all the cars were Ford Edge's or Fusions. 3 years ago they switched to a similar system that my uncle has that reimburses for a certain $$ value every month. He got a Benz C350 with it and paid a bit every month to make up the difference.

Is this something that you are allowed to suggest for your work ?

What you describe is called a car allowance and is one of the generally 3 ways you can get compensated for work use of a vehicle.

What you describe is called a car allowance and is one of the generally 3 ways you can get compensated for work use of a vehicle.

I'm not very well versed in these since I did not have fleet vehicles. so there is :

1. Company gives you a car out of a small list like the OP
2. The allowance
3. what's the 3rd way ?

I'm not very well versed in these since I did not have fleet vehicles. so there is :

2. The allowance
3. what's the 3rd way ?

The third is simple a mileage allowance.

The car program for my employer was up for review last year and they kicked around a lot of feedback from various sources.

They did away with the cars for management.

But for reps they kept the car.

The big mystery remains, who decides what models get added or removed. And management isn't saying.

So we just have to live with the list we get and be happy with it.

We do have a choice of five different vehicles.

I just happen to narrow it down to two.

Since I got a nice pair of salomon hiking boots, I just may feel comfortable in the Subaru. Need to buy some granola first!

Just curious, can you bolt on a turbo or something to it during the lease period ? I know a 2 guys way back in my uni days did this 3 or 4 times, they rent a car, bolted a turbo on it for the weekend to do some drag racing then unbolt it and returned it.

Just curious, can you bolt on a turbo or something to it during the lease period ? I know a 2 guys way back in my uni days did this 3 or 4 times, they rent a car, bolted a turbo on it for the weekend to do some drag racing then unbolt it and returned it.

I wish. And I'm sure I could.

Any mods I do will stay with the car unless I undo them before I give the keys back.

They make sure what ever I get is within the specs allowed.

For instance I had a dealer offer me a higher trim level for less than the model I could get. I'm saving the company money! Nope!

It took a couple of years but those that opted for an Altima had to order it with the moonroof delete. Took weeks to order and cost more.

They finally agreed it was ok.

The Subaru is the first vehicle they added to the fleet that has AWD.

The company I work for is based in Quebec. All across Quebec. So AWD would be appreciated. But nope. They won't let you chose AWD if it's an option. But they will pay for snow tires.

I think the Ford looks sharp. But the last couple of times I went to a dealer, they treated me like crap.

The Subaru dealer was fantastic. Told me to take the car out a couple of times. Pick up the kids from school and "live" with it for a bit.

I felt bad when I didn't get it last time but I'm glad I got the VW when the chance came up.

It's possible the list will be updated before my car is up for renewal. So who knows? Might have more or less to chose from. Lol.

Ebay electric turbo? :)
No way you can get that done in a weekend.

Sent from my clear iPhone 31SS

Ebay electric turbo? :)
No way you can get that done in a weekend.

Sent from my clear iPhone 31SS
Lol nope, no way. Think of the cost to buy all the necessary parts to turbo a rental car for a weekend. Lmao

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

2. The allowance
3. what's the 3rd way ?

You record mileage travelled and get paid a set rate - which by all rights is the max that Revenue Canada allows. That's what we do (Small company, 2 people plus intern plus accountant so we pretty much do whatever's best for ourselves). Because I'm the field service tech, I do most of the mileage. The current strategy is to drive a crapbox which costs quite a bit less than the allowed rate to run, and use the surplus to subsidize also having a decent personal vehicle that doesn't get a crapload of mileage put on it (in my case ... my race van / camper). Otherwise it doesn't make sense to buy a decent vehicle. The last car before this one was a 2006 Jetta purchased new ... I sold that a couple years ago with 430,000 km on it. I'm not doing that again. The crapbox (bought cheaply, used) has earned its keep several times over, and is worth nothing on the books and nothing in real life ... and it's still running and still earning. Kingston tomorrow, Windsor thursday. All paid mileage ... (not all weeks are like that ... thankfully)

Some mods can void a warranty, good luck on a company car (get fired....), they pick fleet cars using an index of cost of ownership over a given period, based on either time or mileage, its published somewhere for fleet managers.

Then comes perception, if your in sales sometimes your clients don't want you to look like you make too much. When I showed up at a new client in a 750BMW they looked at me sideways. They like you driving minivans and fusions unless your a yacht broker.

Some mods can void a warranty, good luck on a company car (get fired....), they pick fleet cars using an index of cost of ownership over a given period, based on either time or mileage, its published somewhere for fleet managers.

Then comes perception, if your in sales sometimes your clients don't want you to look like you make too much. When I showed up at a new client in a 750BMW they looked at me sideways. They like you driving minivans and fusions unless your a yacht broker.

Yes. I'm in the financial sector.

Funny thing is, another division has a different list. Similar price point but different selection.

Fusion and escape at there.

They have the legacy.

We have the forester.

They have Honda and Mazda.

We have a Toyota Camry.

Even if you could bolt a turbo on most insurance companies would laugh in your face if you did it and tried to make a claim and the warranty would be toast.

All we get at my work are Chevrolets.

So the fleet manager sent me the list. And..........it's changed.................all division of the company now have the same options.

No Escape or Forester. Doh!

Dang! So now what? I'm not sure what I'm going to do now?

The SUV choices are:

Rogue S or SV trim but, we can get AWD now. Oh, the CVT and numb steering. I did it once, why not again?
Mazda5 GT - ummmm not the CX5. It's the Mazda5. It's been discontinued in the USA. Its a mini minivan that hasn't been updated in years. Oh the humanity. Can I bring myself to even look at it? Leather trim interior? Moonroof? Lipstick on a pig.........

And for cars

Altima S
Fusion SE
Legecy 2.5i PZEV

So another AWD option for a sedan........

The SVU route isn't looking pretty. I'm hoping to hear back soon if I can buy the VW TDI cheap. Keep that as the family vehicle and maybe get one of the sedans?

I test drove a Rogue a couple months ago and hated it. I ended up getting Ford Escape with the 2.0L ecoboost. Pretty happy with it.

The Legacy seems to be a nice car. My co-worker has one and has nothing but good things to say about it.

Legacy has a lot of cabin space, good visibility and a huge trunk. Only gripe is the trunk opening could be a bit bigger, just means you have to be careful getting the golf clubs in and out. That 2.5 engine has been around forever, no issues. Turbo would be nice, but it's more than good enough day to day. I prefer it to the Fusion which would be my second choice. I've had an Altima as a rental a few times and have since requested anything but Nissan when getting a rental.

I used to dread Nissan rentals as well but the latest generation is much improved. Less budget interior, more plush ride. I was pleasantly surprised the last time I was forced into an Altima.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2015/sedan/review/

I like the Fusion and think it's probably the best looking car of the bunch, but it seems hard to go wrong with an AWD Subi.

Late model Fords are quite good to drive. Fusion and Legacy are almost a toss-up depending on how much you value all wheel drive. Make the Mazda part of the toss-up depending on how much interior space you want.

Nissans are on my "do not rent" list.

Mazda 5 GT comes with a stick, gets my nod.... zoom zoom.

the rest of your choices are snore-masters....

I just had to look at the Mazda thinking I might be dismissing it too quickly.

From a utility stand point, it looks impressive. It's just a little long in the tooth with some features. No back up cam, the infotainment, dash layout is dated. But, the VW I'm driving is dated too and frankly, it works and works well. Do I need a touch screen and back up camera? Not really.

Feedback about the Mazda is positive about the handling. The powertrain is lackluster as best. I'm saddled with the automatic. Boo!!!

The only down side from a practical sense for me with the Mazda? The middle row seats are bucket seats. I do happen to have three kids jump in the back of any of the vehicles I'm driving at times. I was thinking with the Mazda I'd leave the third row down to have decent cargo space but, then I've got to stick someone back there for those times I'm travelling with 5 passengers. So, that could me reorganizing the back, pop up a seat for a small and insignificant ride, It might be nit picking but, that is something I take for granted in the cars we have already. 5 travellers? Hop in and go.

If I was going sedan, the Ford nails the ergos well. And it looks the best IMO. But, my dealings with the local Subie dealer has me thinking if I go with a sedan, why not get one that has AWD?

I know, I know the Nissan issues. The last Rogue I had wasn't great but, it wasn't bad either. I've owned old Nissans in the past and really enjoyed them. I had one of those Pulsar's that was gutless and most rusted. Mine? Bullitproof. But, I traded it in for a Thunderbird SC. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Considering the Mazda trim level is top of the line, I might have to give it serious consideration. Still waiting to hear back on the buy out for the VW. It's been a good little buggy and took the family to Quebec City, NB and PEI last summer. I'd have to get the DSG serviced and wear items inspected but, I'm not even taking those steps until I know what the price point is.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

I do have to say the Mazda is a unique offering.

@nakkers bench 3rd row or split seats? Split seats aren't as bad imo.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom