Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

nakkers

Site Supporter
Here are my choices:

Subaru Forester 2.5i Convenience Package
Ford Escape SE 1.6 Ecoboost FWD Only
Nissan Rogue S or SV FWD Only
VW Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline

I'm averaging about 80,000 kilometers annually. Mostly SW Ontario but, often travel north to SSM and east to Montreal.

14 months with the VW Golf and it's been great. Blew a fog light with a rock, the kids destroyed the rear vent. Great for camping. Drives great. Lacks front storage. My lady doesn't like the low perch compared to her Matrix. Considering the amount of driving I do, I'm inclined to replace with another. Timing doesn't work out for me to get the new updated model so, I'm stuck with what ever is in stock around SW Ontario.

I get dedicated winter tires with each vehicle. The Subie is the first time an AWD vehicle has been offered. It lacks power with acceleration measured with sun dial.

All vehicles are equiped with heated seats and Blue Tooth for hands free calling. The trim level I'm allowed with the VW and Subie doesn't allow for Satellite Radio which I miss.

I'm thinking of just going with another TDI and getting tinted windows. Too bad for the little lady that wants to be higher off the ground. But, when given a choice to get something different, it's hard to go with the same flavor.

Let the debate begin.

If it was me in your shoes, pretty easy choice ... especially with 80K/year ...TDI ... but you might have some other priority to consider ... :-(

Isn't it pretty simple to stick a plug-in satellite receiver on the dash? What do you mean by front storage? Like a big glovebox or something?

Seems like an easy choice to me, since you already know and like the VW.

Out of that list, go with the Golf again. With those kilometers, the TDI makes the most sense.
The Subaru would be my second choice, that would alleviate your wife's concerns but you won't get diesel like mileage.

The Forester hands down.
Only if it's the manual option, otherwise the CVT will drive you bonkers.
also, if you're not paying for your gas all the time.

Had a forester for a week. Meh. Average 10L/100 km over 1000 km. Drives much more like an suv than a car (wallows/pushes). Slow as hell with the CVT. Seats are meh. Power tailgate is ridiculously slow (7 seconds to open or close, normally I open/grab/close in much less time than waiting for it to open). Headlights were good. X mode is useless (only active up to 18 km/h and it just cuts throttle response). Video cruise is hella dangerous and should be banned. Keyless ignition sucks (you can't secure the car if you are nearby). If the key is within +/-20 feet the car unlocks itself if someone tries the handle. This happens in offices/restaurants/all over the place and is a terrible idea. Sunroof was huge and reasonably quiet when open (slide roof only).

Get the TDI (can you get a proper golf instead?).

EDIT: based on the review sunny posted, I had a forester touring with driver assist. I would avoid both the driver assist and touring as that power liftgate would drive me insane.

Last edited:
Suby or VW or GTFO

AWD is fun. Very fun.

I've owned both a Subaru (WRX) and a Golf Wagon (TDi). The only thing I liked about the Subaru was the power since your looking at getting the Forester you have just taken in my opinion the best thing about the Subaru and thrown it out the window.

Go with the Golf Wagon.

It's a company vehicle so, they determine the specs. Must be auto tranny. They determine trim level. So, no leather.

The Subie was on the short list for AWD but, other than that, it really doesn't have an redeeming qualities. It's the 2.5 with CVT and it's a dog.

Looks like the VW again. Just wish I wasn't up for a renewal until the 2015 updated version was released.

I know, I know. It's a bike forum but, I posted in Romper Room for opinions on cages available to me. Thanks for the input folks!!!!

The general consensus on the ski form I am on where lots of people drive subarus is that the head starts leaking at ~105 000K. Dunno.

It's a company vehicle so, they determine the specs. Must be auto tranny. They determine trim level. So, no leather.

Metrosexuals running the place?

The general consensus on the ski form I am on where lots of people drive subarus is that the head starts leaking at ~105 000K. Dunno.

02 wrx with 230,000km and 150,000km of that is with the car putting out 90whp more than stock. Almost 0 issues but the ones I had were caused by the increased power and minor at that (except cracking the turbo but for $1000...meh, it's faster).

Bought a 99 forester for a beater, lasted 40,000km (210,000) and it ate a valve. Some are good some are junk same as all cars.

Back
Top Bottom