Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let's Play Replace the Company Vehicle - Again

I understand after a three decade run of crash tests being straight into a crash wall, in the US they are going to mandate tests at a 45% angle since that's about 90%? of accident angles.
The Chrysler 300 will not be allowed on the road in the next 12 months without a serious platform redesign. Poor thing pretzles in a crash.

If safety is a priority, the Forester would make it to the top of the list. It's a consideration but, I also have to make the best of the driving experience too. This is how things turned out.

The VW isn't available. I'm not calling around to every dealership in Ontario to try and track one down that meets the criteria. Comfortline, TDI with DSG and no upgrades such as audio, leather, sunroof etc. I did check around 4 different places and came up zilch. OK, so moving on to the three SUVs.

I want to like the Subaru. It just happens to be the worst driving experience of a new vehicle I've ever experienced. Poor steering, dated interior, a CVT that allows the engine to make a racket and seem to go no where. It also lets in a lot of road noise. It seems the least refined vehicle of the bunch. I'd say if I parked it in my lane way, no one would notice I got a new vehicle. It could be mistaken for a vehicle that was made in 2005. The back up camera screen is a postage stamp in size making it useless.

The plus side, great sight lines, great safety rating and AWD. It just drove like an appliance.

Keeping an open mind and still rooting for the Subie, moved on to Ford.

First dealer, sorry sir, I can let you see one but, you can't test drive it. We don't let fleet purchase customers to have a test drive. You can check out the Titanium model in the show room to see what kind of space and controls are like but, ignore the leather, moon roof etc. No, I'd like to drive an SE model with the 1.6 Ecotech, and equipped how it would be for me before making a decision. I'll just check out the Subaru or Nissan dealer down the road.......Sales manager didn't blink an eye. Have a good day sir.

OK, the dealer must not need the business. I know it's low margin but, I'm sure most dealerships like to have another unit notched in their belt. Let's check out another. OK, second dealership busy. No problem take your time. Don't mention fleet sale. Looking at an Escape, SE trim, 1.6 Ecoboost, cloth interior and FWD. Are you looking to purchase? No, haven't decided. Comparing with a couple of others. After an hour of standing around, I leave.

Let's go to Nissan. Sales associate greets me, asks me what I'm interested in. I tell him. They have a courtesy vehicle that is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll grab the keys. Makes photo copy of my license and says take our time and he'll be happy to answer any questions when we get back.

It's a quiet and isolated ride. I get back and tell them it's a fleet purchase. No problem. Have the fleet manager contact their Sales Manager and they will work out the details.

So, I'm going with a Rogue again. I had one in 2012 and it was a decent machine. It looks a lot better than before.

After 14 or 15 months, I'll be looking at a replacement again.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers.

Last edited:
An interesting turn of events. My manager is giving me his car, a white VW TDI with 49,000 kms so, he can order a new car. He gets a higher range of selection being in management but, can't take advantage until his current ride is up for renewal. Now he can have an Audi while I take his VW and have something new in the spring. Win/win

Audi's and VW's as company vehicles?

so.....you guys hiring?

so.....you guys hiring?

We're stuck with GMC at my company. They are terrible vehicles. The service is even worse. Nothing like getting charged $200 to hot glue some window switches to the door or having to replace a transmission at 20000 km.

We're stuck with GMC at my company. They are terrible vehicles. The service is even worse. Nothing like getting charged $200 to hot glue some window switches to the door or having to replace a transmission at 20000 km.

How is that cost effective for the company? Companies should consider TCO before buying fleets of vehicles.

How is that cost effective for the company? Companies should consider TCO before buying fleets of vehicles.

Someone has a new set of golf clubs after a fleet contract was signed....

There are people out there that will swear up and down that north American vehicles are great.

so.....you guys hiring?

I'm in the financial sector. Payment processing/financing solutions. Account Managers are the road warriors so, vehicles reflect the role. Nice but, not too nice. lol

Management vehicles get a step up, BMW, Audi, Lexus.......They keep their vehicles longer. I believe 3 years. Where I get a new vehicle every two. And depending on the level of management, the choices improve as well.

Keep an eye open for employment opportunities with Desjardins Group on their web site. If you have experience with integrated payment solutions with national retailers, we do have some opportunities. Everything is done on line now. If you work or worked in the industry with Chase, Moneris, TD etc. The sales and strategic teams could be looking for someone.

Update:

The company discontinued company vehicles for management. It was a nice perk but a big expense for folks that didn't really use it much. A lot drive back and forth to the office within the city.

So......they kept the program alive for us minions that actually drive and meet clients.

Surprise! VW is no longer on the list. Actually they pared down the choices. No more Chrysler. No Rogue.

Just Ford Escape or Fusion

Camery or Altima

And lastly the Forester.

I'm humming along with the VW at 72k and won't be due to a new machine until the end of next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

The company discontinued company vehicles for management. It was a nice perk but a big expense for folks that didn't really use it much. A lot drive back and forth to the office within the city.

So......they kept the program alive for us minions that actually drive and meet clients.

Surprise! VW is no longer on the list. Actually they pared down the choices. No more Chrysler. No Rogue.

Just Ford Escape or Fusion

Camery or Altima

And lastly the Forester.

I'm humming along with the VW at 72k and won't be due to a new machine until the end of next year.

How's that work with taxable benefit implications? One of my buddies took a car from the office and got killed on the tax due at the end of the year. I think he's now on a car allowance which is much easier at the end of the year.

When I was in sales years back I had a car allowance of $600 each month....plus a gas card....let's just say I paid off my car stupidly fast and then pocketed the $ as I didn't drive enough to actually justify that type of $.

I have a choice at work to either drive a demo or take a car allowance. I take the allowance, but it still shows up as a taxable benefit.

I have a choice at work to either drive a demo or take a car allowance. I take the allowance, but it still shows up as a taxable benefit.

I had this option as well. Worked for Jaguar back in the day so had a Jag to take home as my daily driver....great perk at 22 years old but....come tax time it was a horrible decision.

job after that I took the car allowance and that was awesome....but alas no Jag :( Just a 2003 Civic...but paid off at that!

My employer deduct extra to cover the benefit. I come out pretty even at tax time.

I like the perk if you want the call it that.

I'd rather use a company car and rack up the miles on their dime. Maintenance tires fuel. New car every few years.

It's got its draw backs too. Gotta drive what they have.

May not suit the house hold needs for personal use?

My wifes company wants you to track personal mileage on company vehicles and subtracts 0.50/km from your pay. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom