Hwy 407 question. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hwy 407 question.

So, can I steal your bike and rent it back to you for as much as I want? C'mon, don't be a cheapskate.

I'm aware of the history, that doesn't absolve your skirting the fees and potentially ****ing it up for others. You have a choice, and if you choose not to pay then don't use the highway. Fairly straight forward.

I'm aware of the history, that doesn't absolve your skirting the fees and potentially ****ing it up for others. You have a choice, and if you choose not to pay then don't use the highway. Fairly straight forward.

agreed. If we stopped using the 407, that would send a message, but, we won't.

Has anyone on a dual-sport/supermoto ever go around the lit gantrys with the cameras and lights?

Trick question: those that ride the 407 au gratis! :)

Yes. :)

It was awkward at the end past markham because the barrier went for so long.

Like what, Canada will ban motorcycles because a few people avoid a ridiculous toll? omg PANIC

Like what, Canada will ban motorcycles because a few people avoid a ridiculous toll? omg PANIC

no...but She might ban motorcycles cause of cagers complaining how they ride on the roads

So no one really knows. I guess i'll have to call them and ask them. Thank you for your time all your replies.

So no one really knows. I guess i'll have to call them and ask them. Thank you for your time all your replies.
We told you already, yes bikes get charged when the y go on the 407. I have been charged.

You will fit right in with the GTAM crowd

In the past, if the 407 cameras missed your plate on either the off-ramp or on-ramp you would get billed to the nearest ramp. But they've changed their system so if the cameras don't pick up one of them... you get billed for your average trips. If the cameras miss both, then it's a free ride.

I have a completely stock 250R with a dealer plate cover, and it's really a hit and miss. I'd say the camera misses me 40% of the time. I used to ride on the paved shoulders near the cameras, but that didn't really matter... it picked up my plate.

A friend of mine has a Honda Fireblade had his license plate tucked deep behind his rear wheel. When he sits on the bike you can't even see it... but he showed me his 407 ETR bills, so they still somehow get it.

Another friend had a flip plate, unfortunately he would use the same on-ramp and off-ramp everyday so OPP waiting was for him.

Moral of the story, it's not free... but might be cheaper if you have a legit mount and the cameras still can't get you.

Another friend had a flip plate, unfortunately he would use the same on-ramp and off-ramp everyday so OPP waiting was for him.

^^^Keep this part of the story going.
(wondering what he was charged with?)

With nothing, unless he wasn't paying attention and flipped his plate without noticing there was an OPP car looking at him; or if he was dumb enough to not flip his plate back on after he passed the camera.

And if that was the case, the savings from all the times he didn't pay for the 407 will still out way whatever ticket he got including any increases in insurance if there was some. Still a win win situation.

Screw the 407, that is revenue that goes to a Spanish private company, not money that stays in Canada. I will gladly not pay anytime I have the chance and anyone that thinks otherwise needs to give itself a head slap.

I drove all around Portugal and Spain for 3 weeks, most highways are tolls (approximately 3500km) total paid after the 3 weeks was just under 200 bucks. Took the 407 a few times in my car (early meetings) for a period of just under 2 weeks, total bill around 150 bucks, who is screwing who?

Supposedly I used the 407 in early 2000's, total bill was under 90$, never got a bill. 10 years later a $1000 dollar bill showed up at my door step, guess what after all my complaints going to deaf ears, I had to pay it or they wouldn't renew my registration, pure robbery and there is nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:
With nothing

Whaaa? It's 2014!! You get charged for being there ffs. I'm think'n he got a:
172 for "taking hand off handlebar",
Avoiding *something*.
Careless. (hand off controls / whatever ya wanna call the handle bars).
It's a bike, so it was *obviously* speeding. May as well call it 55 over, 'nother 172.
Likely an "unsafe lane change".
etc.

Edit for accuracy: I'd rather sit on the 401 in traffic, than take the 407.

They're free if you wheelie past the camera

Wheelies, flip plates and covering your plates are the only way to avoid charges. It is illegal, so remember that if you choose to do so. I used to take the 407 every day in my car, had over 4000 dollars in 407 bills (adds up very quickly). It cut an hour off my commute each way. It's highway robbery, pun intended.

They will charge you the video toll charge, unless you call in and speed doesn't effect the cameras at all. I'm pretty sure SWIM (someone who isn't me), may have broken a record for top speed past one of the cameras and it still came up in the bill. We are talking twice the legal hwy limit. The hwy 7 entrance in Pickering is straight. If you do things to avoid getting nailed with charges and use the same ramps every day at certain times... OPP's special detachment that strictly works as hwy 407 traffic enforcement will indeed get you.

20 yr old and got his mom to write her M1 so he could get insurance with SF for his 600RR. He had these racing stickers (ie. Konica Minolta, HRC, RCV) that made his bike appear unique.

He was heading southbound on 410 and took the eastbound on-ramp. At this point he already flipped his plate for the cameras, and as soon as he passed the cloverleaf to get on the 407 there were cruisers waiting. He just gunned it, at one point he described looking back and every lane of the 407 had an OPP vehicle with lights.

He ended up taking an exit, and hid behind a building for a few hours. He was really shook up and put his bike up for sale the next day, and hasn't ridden since.

20 yr old and got his mom to write her M1 so he could get insurance with SF for his 600RR. He had these racing stickers (ie. Konica Minolta, HRC, RCV) that made his bike appear unique.

He was heading southbound on 410 and took the eastbound on-ramp. At this point he already flipped his plate for the cameras, and as soon as he passed the cloverleaf to get on the 407 there were cruisers waiting. He just gunned it, at one point he described looking back and every lane of the 407 had an OPP vehicle with lights.

He ended up taking an exit, and hid behind a building for a few hours. He was really shook up and put his bike up for sale the next day, and hasn't ridden since.

Excellent story!! Love it!!!
Was hoping there were no charges, but that's just gold!!
High 5's for buddy & his Mom!!

ZX600 was right..........but he didn't see this coming.

Wheelies, flip plates and covering your plates are the only way to avoid charges. It is illegal, so remember that if you choose to do so. I used to take the 407 every day in my car, had over 4000 dollars in 407 bills (adds up very quickly). It cut an hour off my commute each way. It's highway robbery, pun intended.

They will charge you the video toll charge, unless you call in and speed doesn't effect the cameras at all. I'm pretty sure SWIM (someone who isn't me), may have broken a record for top speed past one of the cameras and it still came up in the bill. We are talking twice the legal hwy limit. The hwy 7 entrance in Pickering is straight. If you do things to avoid getting nailed with charges and use the same ramps every day at certain times... OPP's special detachment that strictly works as hwy 407 traffic enforcement will indeed get you.

Privately owned highway, and they have a special OPP detachment for themselves? Do they pay the cops too? Or does that still come out of the taxpayer dollars? Smh.

We likely still foot the bill for their salaries although somewhere I'm sure someone is lining someone's pockets. It's all a scam. Highway should never have been allow3d to be sold.

Privately owned highway, and they have a special OPP detachment for themselves? Do they pay the cops too? Or does that still come out of the taxpayer dollars? Smh.

Oh yeah, we pay for it! 407 tosses them some cash as well.... But we still foot the majority of the bill. Never go over 118km, that's the speed they start nailing us for speeding (unless everyone is going faster).

Back
Top Bottom