Enclosed trailer setup | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enclosed trailer setup

One thing I learned this season is that being in a tent, in October, in the rain, sucks.

So anything to get out of the weather would be nice.
Part of that is why I would consider something like a Honda element. Lots of space but I've heard some tales of not very fuel efficient.

I pull a 5x8 enclosed trailer with a 2011 ford ranger 6 cyl and don't even notice it behind me. Its Neo so nice and light 2 bikes no problem and shelving at front in the v nose also fold down beds help save money on motels.

I have a 6x10, 6 feet high inside vnose. Bikes at the back on pit bulls. Enough room at the front for 2 gear bags, 2 big coolers, bbq, tools and leathers hang from the roof joist. Bikes come out at track air bed goes in. Three layers of netting at side door keeps the blood suckers out. Pulled with a chevy s10 4.3 litre. About 18/100 when towing as I can't use overdrive. And bought a fiesta with a trunk for a daily driver. 5.5/100. Standard so no complex tranny that already got recalled. Yes its pricey to haul to AMP but having all my stuff dry after 3 days of rain is worth it to me.

Hey guys I bought a new 8.5x14 enclosed trailer and need ideas for setup inside the trailer. Looking for ideas for cabinets and a bench in front of trailer. Post your pictures of your setups thanks

I bought my cabinets from lowes and just used sheet metal screws and attached them to the studs. I figured by the time I screwed around making cabinets and buying the material it was easier but slightly more expensive. My plastic shelves and bins are from crappy tire, I just use a bungee cords to keep them in place while driving. They hold all my spared and I keep my laundry in there too. The tall stand up cabinet I keep my oils/lubricants in a couple milk crates on one shelf with my generator and jack stands on the bottom. My smaller cabinet in the front keeps my coffee maker and random trailer stuff with my spare nuts and bolts. My other wall cabinet holds my kitchen utensils/wipes/paper towels etc. Throw up a few hooks for extension cords/straps/leathers and your pretty well setup. I'm going to add somthing to hold my spare wheels because right now having them stacked on the floor they get in the way.

I bought my cabinets from lowes and just used sheet metal screws and attached them to the studs. I figured by the time I screwed around making cabinets and buying the material it was easier but slightly more expensive. My plastic shelves and bins are from crappy tire, I just use a bungee cords to keep them in place while driving. They hold all my spared and I keep my laundry in there too. The tall stand up cabinet I keep my oils/lubricants in a couple milk crates on one shelf with my generator and jack stands on the bottom. My smaller cabinet in the front keeps my coffee maker and random trailer stuff with my spare nuts and bolts. My other wall cabinet holds my kitchen utensils/wipes/paper towels etc. Throw up a few hooks for extension cords/straps/leathers and your pretty well setup. I'm going to add somthing to hold my spare wheels because right now having them stacked on the floor they get in the way.

Hey dricked I was thinking the same thing of buying a tall cabinet from lowes or Home Depot and one smaller one for storage space. I've got a tool box that I'll strap in the same spot as yours. What did you use for your floor on your trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's stuff I got from Home Depot but I wouldn't use it again. It comes in an 7.5' or 8' (can't remember) wide roll by 17' long for $150 but it STINKS!!! I've mopped it and sprayed it with cleaner atleast a dozen times but you can still small some sort of chemical on it. Princess auto has black rubber mat that's a bit cheaper but it's only 4' wide so you'll have a seam. I've also put down 2 foam workout mats from crappy tire that are 4'x8' for $20, it's nicer to walk on in bare feet and also keeps your feet warm or would help insulate if you were sleeping on the floor.

They had a sale when I bought mine which basically gives you the free small wall cabinet. It was ~$200-$250 for both after tax. They're actyally lighter than the black wood one at the front by a substantial amount.

Yep you could use laminate. It was more permanent and labour intensive so I opted for rubber floor.

When the family started coming with me I had to get something bigger than a 5x8.

Now I'm pulling a 7x22 enclosed toy hauler. It's actually John Bickle's old trailer. Bedroom is 7 x 9 in the front and the garage/kitchen is 7 x 13. This is the only pic I have, I have since built a counter top that runs along under the built in cabinets. I have 6 rubbermaid tubs that store under the counter plus there is room for a mini fridge that I haven't installed yet. I have it set up for only one bike right now but I could move the pitbull left a bit then make room for two bikes at the back.

10506841_10152599443809294_9166031376428797545_o.jpg

I plan on buying a 5x10 enclosed trailer in the spring. Debating on going with a ramp at the back or double doors.
What are the pro's and con's of both?

Ramp - 1) easy to use.

Doors - 1) allows you to access the trailer without all the space required for dropping the ramp down.
2) use the back of the trailer at the track like a bench/table. Is this useful or pratical?

My trailer has a ramp with the low height torsion spring suspension, it's very easy for 1 person to load a bike.
This was my prerequisite when buying and my opinion hasn't changed since.
A buddy of mine says I have rocks in my head because the swing doors are so much more compact... It really is a personal preference.

For security purposes, depending on the location you store the trailer, one or the other may be better. With a ramp you can leave room behind the trailer to walk without making theft of the contents easy, with swing doors, you have to be damn close to the wall.

I plan on buying a 5x10 enclosed trailer in the spring. Debating on going with a ramp at the back or double doors.
What are the pro's and con's of both?

Ramp - 1) easy to use.

Doors - 1) allows you to access the trailer without all the space required for dropping the ramp down.
2) use the back of the trailer at the track like a bench/table. Is this useful or pratical?

Barn doors arguably help resale as well

I've got a double horse trailer that I converted into a toyhauler. Installed bunkbeds at the front, A/C, cabinets, lights, dinette. Since I'm usually at the track the night before and its already late, I wanted to be able to just jump and and sleep without having to take bikes out or anything so the bunks work great. Some of the guys I race with crash erm...sleep in it as well so we split costs. Since I'm at Grand Bend all the time I decided to leave it there between races. Storage is cheaper than gas, and if I'm extra lazy I don't even move it out of storage, just sleep in it there.
Tried to attach pictures but its not wanting to do it for me.

Last edited:
With my aluminum ramp and barn doors I have 0 issues loading up. The trailer sits close enough to the ground that you can easily keep both hands on the controlls while loading/unloading. I went with barn doors so that I can have the rear doors open with the trailer in the driveway so it's much easier to load up.

When the family started coming with me I had to get something bigger than a 5x8.

Now I'm pulling a 7x22 enclosed toy hauler. It's actually John Bickle's old trailer. Bedroom is 7 x 9 in the front and the garage/kitchen is 7 x 13. This is the only pic I have, I have since built a counter top that runs along under the built in cabinets. I have 6 rubbermaid tubs that store under the counter plus there is room for a mini fridge that I haven't installed yet. I have it set up for only one bike right now but I could move the pitbull left a bit then make room for two bikes at the back.

10506841_10152599443809294_9166031376428797545_o.jpg

lol your bedroom on tht trailer is larger than my bedroom at home!!

On a more serious note: What would you guys do if you had small car and were trying to upgrade and had track days in mind
1. buy the van
or 2 get a used SUV/trailer combo

lol your bedroom on tht trailer is larger than my bedroom at home!!

On a more serious note: What would you guys do if you had small car and were trying to upgrade and had track days in mind
1. buy the van
or 2 get a used SUV/trailer combo

I towed an open trailer behind a diesel Jetta and camped in a tent for years and years. It can be done with a minivan with the seats out as long as you make sure the door opening is big enough for the bike to get through, because not all of them are.

What are you willing to live with for a daily driver? Fuel consumption, ease of parking, handling, etc.? Vehicles that are heavy-duty enough to do serious towing or hauling aren't going to drive like sports cars or even like your average economy car.

Can you afford to have two separate four-wheeled contraptions, one for bike hauling and camping and the other for commuting?

The Jetta with open trailer worked fine, until I got olde enough to not want to sleep in a tent any more.

Back
Top Bottom