Enclosed trailer setup | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enclosed trailer setup

The van doesn't need to be insured all year, almost better off renting one when needed.

I used the work van Ford E150 to carry mine and ZX600's bike and gear down to GBM for round 6. Averaged about 13/100 with my lead foot, big enough to sleep 2 people in it overnight.

Here's a good thread for you TJ. http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3661748#post3661748

Insurance is at least 10x more for the van, plus sticker, licensing, maintaining another vehicle etc.
If you are trying to make the decision based on cost, it's a no-brainer which is cheaper!
That said, I'd love to have a sprint over my trailer but it's not in the cards for me.
Not mine but I wish it was!

I like this set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The van doesn't need to be insured all year, almost better off renting one when needed.

I used the work van Ford E150 to carry mine and ZX600's bike and gear down to GBM for round 6. Averaged about 13/100 with my lead foot, big enough to sleep 2 people in it overnight.

Here's a good thread for you TJ. http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3661748#post3661748
[h=1]
10453002_10152243510121191_5545573537696441002_o.jpg
[/h]

You could get a smaller trailer. That van's probably the size of a 6x10 so you could have a single axle. My trailer is pretty cheap to insure, my mielage is almost the same while towing with the truck being diesel and the trailer is 7' wide so it's only slightly wider than the truck. I could have a 1/2 ton truck and a race van for the price of my truck but then trying to fit the wife,kid,dog and myself in there for a weekend (week or more this year) would be a giant pain in the reproductive organ. If it's just you for the weekend and one bike with minimal equipment than yes a van is ideal if you don't need a truck for other things.

Why don't you store your stuff in the trailer now?
Race fuel....better spent on tires
If it costs you $60 compared to $240 more to tow a trailer your doing somthing wrong or thank f I got rid of my gasser.

I'm not talking you out of the van because it does make sense for you but your numbers seem a bit high. It costs me $50-60 to tow my trailer for ~4hrs at 110-120km/h.

I'm talking about the big sprinter, the oversized one, with the extended roof.
I can't keep my stuff in the trailer due to thieft, and the van I can keep in my garage at home fully packed, ready to go.
Anyways, there's a wera thread full of pics gotta find it ..

I thought this was a great idea also, but don't need another motor to maintain right now. Utilizing all the space in a 5x8 is a bit cozy but I have put two bikes in and gear.

Good to hear that it's possible.

I can't keep my stuff in the trailer due to thieft, and the van I can keep in my garage at home fully packed, ready to go.

I test drove one, I have a very large garage and it wouldn't even come close to getting into my garage. I hope you have an RV size garage door.

Wonder what the numbers would be if I got rid of my 20L/100km daily driver Avalanche that I haul bikes with about 8 times a year for a big ass diesel van for strictly racing and a fuel efficient car for a daily driver

Where's Caboose when I need him

Wow that's the mileage you get out of the Avalanche?

FWIW, Minivan still works out as the cheapest way for a one bike/man race weekend.

I'm tapped out for pics but my Ford Edge will pull my 6x12 trailer easily and get 14l/100

Wow that's the mileage you get out of the Avalanche?

FWIW, Minivan still works out as the cheapest way for a one bike/man race weekend.

98% city, running around 2 kms at a time , small town stop and go +/- 550kms out of 110L

All I was trying to say with the sprinter was for someone like myself it's useful if I need it but when not needed I don't have to drive a gas guzzling truck or whatever a avalanche/Ridgeline type vehicle is classified as. I could have an econo box and still be able to do track. You're not driving a mini or civic like anything and hauling a trailer nor would I need to worry about accommodations

Damn. Nice job. I need to hire that guy. I got as far as putting carpet on the floor in my van, but the walls and roof are bare.

You must have a massive garage!

My Ram ProMaster is a medium wheelbase low roof, and is too tall to fit through the garage door, and even if it got through the door, it's too long. Overall height of mine is around 90 inches, and the length is 213 inches. A long wheelbase extended high roof is about 101" high and 250" long. The Sprinters are generally even higher and longer.

98% city, running around 2 kms at a time , small town stop and go +/- 550kms out of 110L

Ouch. Driving like that is killer. But you're probably not putting much annual mileage on it.

My van is using a little over 11 L/100 km with mostly highway driving. (3.6 Pentastar gas engine)

This was the weekend after I got the van (floor not carpeted yet) - horrible cell phone pic

Carpeting the floor happened very shortly after that

Still thinking about how I want to set it up in the long term

I dont feel so bad now.

I can do GBM and back on one tank (4.5hrs each way, $70) with my ranger(2.3L 4cyl) towing my HF trailer with 2 bikes on it and the truck complete loaded to the roof.

I really want an enclosed, but then I'll need a bigger truck, and that becomes a slippery slope.

^ Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind sleeping in a tent ... did similar with my Jetta towing an open trailer until last year. It's certainly the least expensive way to do it.

I'm getting too olde to want to be sleeping in a tent any more ...

Jay and I shared a room (this sounds so damn wrong) we paid 60 bucks each a night, had hot water, electricity and air conditioner and heat when needed, a shower and tv. Still cheaper than to buy an enclosed trailer and a toy hauler for it.

I want to keep it simple, like you said, the bigger your setup gets, the more and more money you end up spending.

Now if I had kids and brought the wife to the track, then it would make sense to buy something bigger and use it for other vacations.

Each person is different and has different situations.
I dont feel so bad now.

I can do GBM and back on one tank (4.5hrs each way, $70) with my ranger(2.3L 4cyl) towing my HF trailer with 2 bikes on it and the truck complete loaded to the roof.

I really want an enclosed, but then I'll need a bigger truck, and that becomes a slippery slope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom