KTM Freeride E Series | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM Freeride E Series

Ugur Dinch

Site Supporter
No insurance, no gas, no plate renewal, no parking tickets or fees.. Looks pretty convincing to me.

E-SM
2015-KTM-Freeride-E-SM-05.jpg

E-SX
KTM-Freeride-E-electric-dirtbike-E-SX-E-XC-10.jpg

This^^ one is looking pretty good for the short snowy day rides. It already has the rear brake on the handle bar, where the clutch would otherwise go. I'm getting excited by just thinking about it =)

Battery pack removable, with range = 80kms. And it costs $2-3 to charge per 400kms..

2015-KTM-Freeride-E-SM-06.jpg

Hoping to see them around.

E-SM - http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-ktm-freeride-e-sm/
E-SX - http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-ktm-freeride-e-xc-e-sx/

Last edited:
Should be called the Freesteal. There's enough metals in them for crackhead-scrappers to home in on, probably easy for one guy to flip into a van. That and the cops will give even less of a damn when they get stolen. Jury's out on insurance. E-bikes are skirting the law at the moment, but once the numbers/performance increase, insurers will be the proverbial fly on poop.

400km/charge if true, really makes them a booster for EVs. I like 'em.

Sorry for the confusion.

The range is 80kms per charge, but the example of the cost that was given during EICMA introduction was $2-3 for a 400km trip.

Otherwise, it would be on par with Tesla Model S lol

How do you figure no insurance etc? This will be classed as a motorcycle not a ebike with a limited top speed and pedals, to use on road or any property you don't own it will need license insurance and all the other related items.

sent from a device using a program

Should be called the Freesteal.

I was thinking the same thing, but I imagine that, one would be locking this thing to more secure places compared to motorcycles.

How do you figure no insurance etc? This will be classed as a motorcycle not a ebike with a limited top speed and pedals, to use on road or any property you don't own it will need license insurance and all the other related items.

So, you need pedals to classify as an e-bike?

Then, the only option is to insure it I guess. Maybe it could be possible to switch from daily bike to this during the winter, to avoid paying two premiums. Otherwise, this bike doesn't make any sense all of a sudden :)

Last edited:
Ebikes. Need pedals 32 km/h top speed and something like 400w max from the motor. Basically it has to be boring and slow, this is a motorcycle.
It will be interesting to see how insurance companies rate these electric bikes, they obviously can't use engine size like in the past.

Basically it has to be boring and slow, this is a motorcycle.

the idea is that an ebike is not significantly more powerful than a bicycle. many people can reach up to 30kph or so on a bike, so bikes are on par with ebikes

also, in my experiences, i have rarely seen an ebike hit 30 on gps on level road with a rider (195lb, me), none of the scooters ive ever ridden hit 29.

Nice bikes ... but too expensive (especially when Ontario unfriendly laws and very short riding season is considered), too limiting in many ways .... another 10 years or so, probably more with the oil dropping ... LOL

Now, I win this week Lotto ... I will buy one, like on Monday. Probably would buy the E-Golf as well on Tuesday. Just to compliment them ...

Last edited:
Cool, but I think that the pedals are what allows ebikes on bikepaths, and their being significantly speed limited is what allows them to be unlicensed. Unlicensed is, I think, what allows them to be operated without insurance.

There are also structural things that define an ebike differently that an electric motorcycle that would be similarly speed limited that I think prevent an emotorcycle from taking advantage of the ebike regulations. Zero's require insurance and this will probably be similar to that.

But if Im wrong on all of that and this can be operated without a plate and insurance, Ill buy one. For sure!

Ebikes. Need pedals 32 km/h top speed and something like 400w max from the motor. Basically it has to be boring and slow, this is a motorcycle.
It will be interesting to see how insurance companies rate these electric bikes, they obviously can't use engine size like in the past.

They will use power and power/weight like they do in Europe, plus claim history.

Not sure how one calculates horsepower on an electric motor, but this bike makes 31 ft-lbs torque , which is more than 400s. Plus, you get that immediately, which means at take-off, you actually have more torque than many big ICE bikes.

Electric dirt bikes are getting really big in Europe for two reasons: lots of torque, and you can setup a dirt bike track anywhere because there is no noise. You could have an entire race with 50 riders and be sleeping right beside it.

Should be called the Freesteal. There's enough metals in them for crackhead-scrappers to home in on, probably easy for one guy to flip into a van.

The value in the bike is the battery. You park the bike, take the battery inside with you overnight to charge up. There are much more valuable metals in most sport 600s.

Like others said, it's not an ebike. You need pedals and a very limited speed for ebike.

Most ebikes have removable pedals but technically lose the qualification if they are removed. Not that its ever enforced.

Back
Top Bottom