Ignoring a Mississauga Parking Ticket, Letter Sent by the CIty to Pay + $35 Extra | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ignoring a Mississauga Parking Ticket, Letter Sent by the CIty to Pay + $35 Extra

Rossi86

Site Supporter
I was under the impression that when you ignore a parking ticket, the courthouse would sent you a letter that you've been charged with X parking infraction as there is no way for them to prove that you actually got the ticket (the wind could've blown it away, or someone removed it). And it gave you the option to pay or go to trial, but this time I got a letter within 1 month that says I have to pay the ticket and another $35 on top for administrative fees with no other options. Anyone know why this happened? Have they changed the rules for parking tickets recently? The ticket is pure BS that's why ignored it as I am allowed to park at the lot where it claims I was parking on private property without consent...

I was waiting for that letter to take it to trial that's why I ignored it, thinking may they will see my driver's license address and the ticket address which are the same, and hopefully add 2 and 2 together and cancel it

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90p33_e.htm#BK24

Failure to respond
18. (1) The person designated by the regulations may give the defendant a notice of impending conviction if,
(a) at least fifteen days and no more than thirty-five days have elapsed since the alleged infraction occurred;
(b) the defendant has not paid the fine; and
(c) a notice of intention to appear has not been received. 1992, c. 20, s. 1 (1); 1993, c. 31, s. 1 (10).​

They still have to send you a notice of impending conviction. Make sure your address is current on your vehicle's ownership.

Can you better describe what happened to you? Is this a condo parking lot? Why should they cancel it?

Who wrote the ticket? City By-Law Officers? Security Guards? Property Manager?

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90p33_e.htm#BK24
Failure to respond
18. (1) The person designated by the regulations may give the defendant a notice of impending conviction if,
(a) at least fifteen days and no more than thirty-five days have elapsed since the alleged infraction occurred;
(c) a notice of intention to appear has not been received. 1992, c. 20, s. 1 (1); 1993, c. 31, s. 1 (10).​

They still have to send you a notice of impending conviction. Make sure your address is current on your vehicle's ownership.

Can you better describe what happened to you? Is this a condo parking lot? Why should they cancel it?

Thanks for the info, this is a condo parking lot and I am allowed to park there. I've been parking there for years and I don't know why this happened, as the management has my plates registered as a resident and I am allowed to park there as is any resident. That why I was hoping they would cancel it or at worst send me a letter to let me know that I have received a ticket and I need to pay it or go to trial.

Now I'll have to check who wrote the ticket, but it looked like a regular ticket that regular parking cops write, I didn't see anything unusual...

Failure to respond

i dont think that helps in this matter.. those are provincial laws..

this is a municipal matter, and from reading the link that was provided for Mississauga's by-laws,
it seems that if a ticket blew off your window your SOL.
they make no mention of mailing out notices of missed payments

in a nutshell... if you get a ticket for 30 bucks, and pay it quick, its 30 bucks.

if you take longer than 15 days, its 60 bucks... if you still dont pay they call MTO.
if you want to fight it, you call a screening officer.
if you want to fight the screening officer, call the Hearing officer.

i dont think that helps in this matter.. those are provincial laws..

this is a municipal matter, and from reading the link that was provided for Mississauga's by-laws,
it seems that if a ticket blew off your window your SOL.
they make no mention of mailing out notices of missed payments

in a nutshell... if you get a ticket for 30 bucks, and pay it quick, its 30 bucks.

if you take longer than 15 days, its 60 bucks... if you still dont pay they call MTO.
if you want to fight it, you call a screening officer.
if you want to fight the screening officer, call the Hearing officer.

It's been done in the past in Mississauga, you ignored it, they would send a letter to let you know you got a parking ticket and give you the same options as the ticket. That's why I asked if anything has changed recently...

If you don't pay a municipal parking tick they usually just tack it on your sticker upon renewal with probably some charges. You may get away with paying it for now but sooner or later your gunna have to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I got towed I would've sued the management! My car is parked in the same lot everyday, and it's been there for years as I am a resident

good luck in that one....

but your management or concierge, super, or who ever is on the Letter of Authorization to call Parking Enforcement is at fault, condo's are private property, and tickets are issued by parking enforcement by being asked to attend the property and ticket as instructed, the only other is if you have security at the condo and they are issuing tickets

if you have a copy of the ticket do you see the officers ID number ?

Last edited:
It's been done in the past in Mississauga, you ignored it, they would send a letter to let you know you got a parking ticket and give you the same options as the ticket. That's why I asked if anything has changed recently...

I have heard this before (ignoring the parking ticket as a way to beat it).
BUT reading the quoted legislation above, I don't think ignoring the ticket is a good idea.

18. (1) The person designated by the regulations may give the defendant a notice of impending conviction if...

It says clearly MAY GIVE YOU a notice of impending conviction. It is "may", not "must" give you.

So it is up to the municipality of Missisauga to send a a notice of impending conviction, or not. Obvisouly, they don't. Why should they, if they don't have to?

You ignore the ticket, you get convicted. On top, the website says clearly that they will charge additional fees.

Failure to Respond to Penalty Notices
If a person fails to respond with either of the above options by the due date, the person will be deemed not to dispute the penalty and may be required to pay additional administrative fees.

Fight it just like any other ticket, ask for a court date, and it will get reduced. At this point, I would probably just pay it, I don't know how difficult is to re-open the matter at Mississauga.

Be honest bro you didn't want to pay the ticket because you were trying to offset the cost of those stick on wheel weights. Oh it could have flown away? or someone removed it? cute.

I've had a good experience with parking ticket guys or something like that... don't know if they operate in Mississauga, but there may be a similar service

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/repealedstatutes/english/elaws_rep_statutes_90i11_e.htm

Imperative and permissive forms
(2) In the English version of an Act, the word “shall” shall be construed as imperative and the word “may” as permissive.​

FWIW City of Mississauga still issues 'Notice of Impending Convictions", I have physically seen these letters this week. The process is governed by the Provincial Offences Act. The parking tickets are actually Provincial Offence Notices.

@Rossi86, I would go to the Burnhamthorpe ticket office and tell them you never received a ticket nor the 'Notice of Impending Conviction'. They will give you more information. From experience, they do give you 50% off the original fine if you have a legitimate reason.

This isn't worth fighting, but I would sort it out with your property manager so that you no longer receive tickets for your vehicle. In the future, you should react to these tickets rather than wait for your day in trial. In 99.9% cases, it could have been cancelled within about a week of it getting issued to you.

There may be a situation where you vehicle isn't registered properly for your spot. I've seen vehicles get wrongfully towed, simply due to clerical errors.

FWIW City of Mississauga still issues 'Notice of Impending Convictions", I have physically seen these letters this week. The process is governed by the Provincial Offences Act. The parking tickets are actually Provincial Offence Notices.

I guess you did not go to the link I provided, the City of Mississauga has changed from the POA to an ASP system back in June of this year

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/aps

The City of Mississauga will be using a new process for the enforcement of most of the City’s parking by-law violations beginning June 2014. An Administrative Penalty System (APS) is a new and more efficient way for municipalities to enforce parking and licensing by-laws. Penalty notices similar to a parking ticket will be issued by enforcement officers for by-law violations with the process administered by the City.
The Municipal Act, 2001 allows municipalities to use an Administrative Penalties System (APS) for by-law violations relating to parking and licensing. The owner of a motor vehicle can be charged with an administrative penalty if the motor vehicle is found parked, stopped or standing in contravention of a parking by-law that is under APS.

at the bottom

Please Note: Tickets issued at Toronto Pearson International Airport and accessible parking offences will continue to be managed through the Provincial Offences Court.

Last edited:
Woooooow! Screening & Hearing Officer? This is pretty much arbitration, they've completely done away with the courts.

RIP Mississauga

Won't be long before they issue arrest warrants for unpaid parking tickets like Montreal.

Woooooow! Screening & Hearing Officer? This is pretty much arbitration, they've completely done away with the courts.

RIP Mississauga

Won't be long before they issue arrest warrants for unpaid parking tickets like Montreal.

And what Brampton is different ?

AMPS is scheduled to start June 2, 2014

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/Parking/Pages/Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS).aspx

Alternatively, the person will have the right, within a limited time, to dispute the parking penalty by requesting a Screening Review meeting. When the new system is in place, you will be able to schedule a Screening Review meeting:

• by phoning 311 for Brampton residents (
    call_skype_logo.png
    905-874-2404 for others)
  • in person at the Ontario Court of Justice, Provincial Offences Office - 5 Ray Lawson Blvd. (Southwest corner of Hurontario (Highway 10) and Ray Lawson Blvd., Brampton Ontario)
The Screening Review meeting will be overseen by a Screening Officer, who has the authority to uphold, cancel or reduce the parking penalty.
The holder of the penalty notice has up to 15 days after the Screening Officer’s decision to appeal the outcome of the Screening Review meeting to a Hearing Review Meeting. The Hearing Officer’s decision, following the Hearing Review meeting, will be final.
What is different?

The current process for disputing parking tickets is through the judicial system. Currently wait times to appeal a parking ticket can be as much as a year. AMPS however, will be fully managed by the City of Brampton and both Screening Review meetings and subsequent Hearing Review appeals to the Screening Review are expected to be resolved within several weeks from the date of the parking penalty being issued.
With AMPS replacing the current judicial process for appealing parking tickets, valuable court time will be freed up and utilized by our courts to deal with more serious issues.
The City of Brampton’s new AMPS program will also provide the public with greater flexibility as to where, when and how they can interact with the City in resolving their parking penalty, creating a more streamlined, customer-focused service.

LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom