NOT Turning Right-On-Red At Traffic Light Controlled Intersection | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

NOT Turning Right-On-Red At Traffic Light Controlled Intersection

Sure, but if 144.14 is in play he has to wait for the green arrow(s) to end before making his right.
So you have plenty of time to make your turn and change lanes, unless he runs the red.
It should be a slam dunk, since I'm the only one who actually stops for a right on a red.

The one that gets me, is where two lanes on one side of an intersection, change to three on the other.
But there's a yield sign posted for perpendicular traffic. Does traffic with a green light, have the right of way, over someone making a right, through the yield sign in that third lane?
If not, then why put in a yield sign to confused the issue?

In the scenario I describe there no 'lane change' involved. It's a wide turn.

In the scenario I describe there no 'lane change' involved. It's a wide turn.

Sure. But, for a collision to happen, with the green arrow rule, someone has to cheat a light.

Keep in mind that in some places, but not Ontario, a left turn can be made to any lane, and a right turn, only to the rightmost lane. It depends on how the law was written.

My rule of thumb is to wait for a break in the traffic, same as for a single lane.
If someone comes up on the left, I'll slow down or speed up, to let them in.

Figure10-13.jpg

Looks like this will have to be the solution to the right turn on red problems.

Figure10-13.jpg

That's how my last accident occurred. Guy thought I was taking the first turn like everyone else, and not the second. He t-boned me.

So what you are saying is that it's not road construction that is the problem but rather driver stupidity!

Figure10-13.jpg

Now there is a whole set of issues not addressed by the HTA. WATERLOO Region has many roundabouts. Lots of collisions. They had many of them back in the 50's and got rid of them because of the carnage. That's my issue. Not fines. People getting hurt for no reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collisions at roundabouts tend to be minor sideswipes at relatively low speed. The nasty left-turn in front of an oncoming driver situation is practically impossible at a roundabout. The traffic flow pattern forces everyone to slow down, which is a good thing.

I would love to see more roundabouts, most drivers do rolling stops at all-way stop sign intersections anyways. Interesting article from the Region of Peel: http://www.thebramptonnews.com/articles/5477/1/Peels-First-Roundabout/Page1.html

A traditional four-way intersection has 32 points of conflict in which two vehicles may collide while a roundabout only has eight such points.​

[video=youtube_share;AMV02ReN0lo]http://youtu.be/AMV02ReN0lo[/video]

I'm in a neighbourhood, on a fairly regular basis, in which there are several roundabouts. Even in this area the residents seem to have no idea what right of way is in them.

Only idiots struggle with roundabouts.

A problem with roundabouts in Ontario is that using one seriously benefits from the driver doing a left shoulder check.. Ontario drivers haven't been practicing any kind of shoulder check skill in decades, if ever.

Last edited:
I know people that avoid roundabouts because they are scared of them.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people can make simple things extremely complicated.

Navigating a roundabout is quite simple.

I'm not scared of roundabouts. I'm scared of the sort of drivers who can't figure out roundabouts which, unfortunately, there are a buttload of on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom