When did ABS become mandatory in Canada? | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did ABS become mandatory in Canada?

unL33T

Does anyone know what year ABS became mandatory in Canada on passenger cars? Or is it not?

I ask because I just bought a used 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander that has no ABS light on the dash and the dealer said it doesn't have it. I don't mind terribly and knew before purchase but I thought it was required as of years ago. Guess it could just be busted and someone pulled the bulb or it burnt out.

I don't have the car in my possession yet or I'd just go ram the brakes on some gravel to find out.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what year ABS became mandatory in Canada on passenger cars? Or is it not?

I ask because I just bought a used 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander that has no ABS light on the dash and the dealer said it doesn't have it. I don't mind terribly and knew before purchase but I thought it was required as of years ago. Guess it could just be busted and someone pulled the bulb or it burnt out.

I don't have the car in my possession yet or I'd just go ram the brakes on some gravel to find out.

Thanks.

It is not mandatory.
To pass safety you must have good working brakes, ABS is not required.

I know it's not mandatory for a safety. I meant brand new. Didn't they mandate traction and stability control last year or the year before on new cars?

Last edited:
Thanks. Guess it wasn't until 2012 then. I just assumed that since they mandated stability control they must've mandated ABS much longer ago since it's been around since the 80s.

Just wait until you get used to driving with no ABS in the snow and then have to go back to it... you will be even more unhappy. :)

Just wait until you get used to driving with no ABS in the snow and then have to go back to it... you will be even more unhappy. :)
Whenever the ABS kicked in on my 2009 WRX it just meant the thing was never going to actually stop.

My current DD has no ABS. I've done a winter in it. It was pretty mild as far as snow goes that winter, though.

In my 2001 Jetta I had years ago I could just let the ABS do it's thing and it would stop well. I'm not sure what was up with the WRX that the ABS would make it never stop.

Yeah, in my experience ABS is great at slowing you down, but the last 10kph are a scary nightmare. :)

Whenever the ABS kicked in on my 2009 WRX it just meant the thing was never going to actually stop.

My current DD has no ABS. I've done a winter in it. It was pretty mild as far as snow goes that winter, though.

In my 2001 Jetta I had years ago I could just let the ABS do it's thing and it would stop well. I'm not sure what was up with the WRX that the ABS would make it never stop.

My 89 Rallye Golf had ABS (one of the first cars to have it). Could lock the wheels any time I wanted to. Neve bothered to investigate why as I'd rather not have it.

You're not gonna be steering around obstacles while trying to stopping in the snow - better off reducing stopping distance as much as possible. And if there is that much traction you can always release brake pressure to steer.

You're not gonna be steering around obstacles while trying to stopping in the snow - better off reducing stopping distance as much as possible. And if there is that much traction you can always release brake pressure to steer.

ITT: people who can out drive safety features

Unfortunately on loose surfaces it's too easy to outperform the safety features. At least they should give us a snow setting with another set of lookup tables so I can redirect some of my own processing power to post witty remarks.

I did a skid control course a couple years ago and the difference between handling a car with ABS around an obstacle vs without ABS is amazing.

Even after multiple tries most people will spin the car with ABS disabled. And that's knowing when you have to stop and trying over and over. With ABS on you simply ram the brake and steer.

But yes, on loose surfaces it can be bad. I was just commenting that I'm not sure why the ABS on my Jetta was great in the snow while in my WRX (which was also 8 years newer) it was garbage.

Had some interesting experiences in my 944 the other day up near Mount Forest. Roads all around Arthur were completely ice. I managed to avoid the ditch even on my summers, unlike at least one pickup truck though, so I guess I was doing alright.

Maybe having a system that always engages on the rear wheels but only engages on the fronts when the steering wheel is off center or if brake assist is triggered might solve the snow problem with no additional user input.

Back
Top Bottom