Best Warm Winter Gloves | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Warm Winter Gloves

Recently picked up a pair of Gerbing T5 heated gloves from Riders Choice. I find them absolutely incredible... even at 8-10C I don't even need to turn them on (I have handguards)

Yes they are fairly expensive, but.... phenomenal ;)

ger-glt5hym_7_2.png

I have these....they are toasty! Bit bulky but fine after you get used to them.

As far as I know, anything made by Gerbings, Tourmaster, First Gear and WarmnSafe is wired. Heated gear products made under the First Gear brand are actually made by WarmnSafe and rebranded.

For those looking into heated gloves and don't mind if they are wired, it might be worth looking into heated glove liners that are cheaper, and designed to be worn underneath your normal riding gloves.

Gerbings T5 are battery or wired!

00815_s_britishmotorsports_02_gloveknuckleplastic_blk_sku_01_00022_1_.png

BMG Thermosport, 80 dollorz or so. They work great in the city down to 0c, not so much at highway speeds below 10c.

Recently picked up a pair of Gerbing T5 heated gloves from Riders Choice. I find them absolutely incredible... even at 8-10C I don't even need to turn them on (I have handguards)

Yes they are fairly expensive, but.... phenomenal ;)

ger-glt5hym_7_2.png

+1 for Gerbing heated gear if you have the $$$

Gerbing stuff shouldn't be hard to find locally, and it's some of the best (if not the best) heated motorcycle gear. I do just fine with my heated grips and regular gloves, but I've been thinking of getting a pair of inexpensive insulated riding gloves to keep the top of my hands warm.

A couple of photos.

First, my winter gloves, not heated. Nankai. No hard armour.
Full Gore-Tex. Kind of bulky for a clutch. Fine for the scooter.

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

And the snowboard gloves from Winners. The armour is there to protect the wrist mostly.
Pretty warm! $25 plus tax.
IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Anything windproof and can handle -10 degrees? lol
Thanks for most the suggestions, the Gerbing is in mind.

Anything windproof and can handle -10 degrees? lol
Thanks for most the suggestions, the Gerbing is in mind.

I'm looking for something similar. Right now, I'm using my summer gloves around the city and am okay with my heated grips when it's 2-3 degrees. Hands get very cold on the highway. Looking to do a few hauls in the winter when it's well below zero.

A riding friend of mine has these battery powered wonders. He wears them under an oversized pare of gloves. He's like 80 somthing keeps his hands warm

http://thermo-chip.ca/t_gloves.html
Those look pretty nice to me.

To those using snowmobile gloves: do they offer any kind of abrasion resistance on pavement?

Snowmobile gloves here. I think they're just HTC.

Also, one trick is to overdress your torso just a bit, with maybe one layer too many. The body will try to keep cool by sending more warm blood to your extremities - hands and feet. Whereas if you're underdressed, your body will pull blood back from your extremities to try and warm up your core.

A lot of keeping your hands and feet warm during cold riding comes down to proper dress overall.
Then you sweat when you stop at a light and freeze once you start moving again.

Anything windproof and can handle

I have the Gerbings electric gauntlets. I suggest you go with a glove that is a bit loose because they retain heat better that way. The tradeoff is that they may feel a bit awkward when operating handlebar controls, but at sub-zero temps you're not going to care much about that because you'll be so grateful to be toasty warm. You'll want electric below 5c.

Just to throw this out there.... Hand-guards make a HUGE difference. You can have all the power in the world, but if its getting sapped away with windblast....

It's literally a night and day difference. With Hand-guards and Gerbing T5's, my hands are the LAST thing to get cold.

Just to throw this out there.... Hand-guards make a HUGE difference. You can have all the power in the world, but if its getting sapped away with windblast....

It's literally a night and day difference. With Hand-guards and Gerbing T5's, my hands are the LAST thing to get cold.
Both of the bikes I've owned don't have the fairing clearance for hand guards (at full lock, at least).

Then you sweat when you stop at a light and freeze once you start moving again.

If that's happening, you're overdressed. There's a balance to strike. Play with layers until you get something that works.

And how long are you waiting at the light?! I sweat at the drop of a hat and temps over 26 or so are just misery for me, but even I don't start sweating at a light just because I'm wearing warm clothes.

Handguards for anyone that can get them is highly recommended. We all know it's the wind that makes our hands cold, so why not eliminate it?

If that's happening, you're overdressed. There's a balance to strike. Play with layers until you get something that works.

And how long are you waiting at the light?! I sweat at the drop of a hat and temps over 26 or so are just misery for me, but even I don't start sweating at a light just because I'm wearing warm clothes.
The post I quoted literally said to over dress.

I've I'm stopped in a pile of layers designed to keep me warm at -5C at 130 kph and I'm stopped at a light for 3 minutes at a complete standstill, I'm going to sweat.

I meant don't over overdress ;)

There's standing-in-the-fire overdoing it and then there's standing-on-the-surface-of-the-sun overdoing it.

The point is that lots of people think they're dressed correctly and think they're "warm" because their torso is warm even though their hands and feet are cold and don't understand that they're really underdressed or that you can even work with your body to help keep your hands and feet warmer. It's a generalization and everyone's body is a bit different but it's still better to understand the way bodies work than not.

In your case you may need to decide to lean towards dressing more for the highway or more for the street. If you're commuting in the traffic and on the highway and also travelling a fair distance (like say, from Ajax or Oakville to downtown), then you're looking at a wide range of speeds and temperatures and maybe adjustable heated gear is an investment that's better for you personally.

Or I can see you're looking to buy a winter bike. Commuting in winter on an Aprila shows some dedication, but you might want to look at buying something with good wind protection (if you aren't already) since good windproofing in your clothes or good shielding on your bike will do a lot to cut the temperature difference between highway and street.

Those look pretty nice to me.

To those using snowmobile gloves: do they offer any kind of abrasion resistance on pavement?

Sorry, didn't answer this earlier. They have some, with leather on the palms and some very small plastic bits on the knuckles, but I don't think it's sufficient or comparable to proper racing gloves. At least, the crappy HJC pair I have are like that. Not sure if there are other manufacturers with better offerings.

Powerinmotion.ca
Canadian brand, locally made.
Battery powered with temp control.

No armour, but that's what makes them versatile.

I'm actually MOST interested in battery power gloves for my deep-winter bicycle riding. I'm currently using heavy ski gloves, but they aren't cutting the mustard anymore. So I may well look at those.

Powerinmotion.ca
Canadian brand, locally made.
Battery powered with temp control.

No armour, but that's what makes them versatile.
Look very similar to the ones on thermo-chip.ca but for about $100 more.

Back
Top Bottom