Beginner looking for his first track bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beginner looking for his first track bike

I have a 2011 R6 I rode on the track last year.... felt great, but Newman's bike at $3200 in the for sale section looks like a good purchase... save some loot for tires and track days next year, too.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?186818-2002-CBR600F4i-Track-Racebike

I will take 6 tall boys of Heineken as commission if it sells
LOL Deal. Thanks for the post.

Most racers don't want to deal with gremlins either. Winning races/titles requires a reliable machine, which you'll find most race bikes to be.

While recuperating from a broken thumb, I raced this 250 for a couple of rounds and I had a blast. Flat out in 6th thought turn one at Shannonville and the bike didn't move an inch. I also believe I improved my riding greatly as i did a lot better once I went back on the liter bike at the end of the season.

I love this little 250. Buy it if you can.

A track ready SV650 is often much cheaper then a similar R6, street versions may be similar price. Running costs on an SV would be significantly less from my research anyone with first hand experience feel free to chime in. I saw in the classified ads here and on kijiji a fully set up CBR250 for $3500 much less then your budget.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ke/1031836029?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Looks like not a bad deal to me considering what it comes with. I had my eye out for a number of SV's this year and can say that for $3500 you can get a well sorted track bike with ownership. Also don't be afraid to check out the WERA site as well lots of good deals on there if you don't mind travelling south of the border for a deal.

Honestly I'm a little hesitant to get a bike this old. I don't want to be constantly bothered with little gremlins that need to be fixed and may potentially end my track day early.

In 3 seasons, I haven't seen one Lost Era bike grenade a motor , eat a trans or suffer any major malfunctions preventing them from gridding up (crashed not included of course), except one weekend when Kellen's bike had charging issues (if i recall correctly). I think he only missed a qualifier and had it remedied by morning of raceday. Generally, racebikes are pretty well kept. They also see more maintainance than most streetbikes do.

Last edited:
In 3 seasons, I haven't seen one Lost Era bike grenade a motor , eat a trans or suffer any major malfunctions preventing them from gridding up (crashed not included of course), except one weekend when Kellen's bike had charging issues (if i recall correctly). I think he only missed a qualifier and had it remedied by morning of raceday. Generally, racebikes are pretty well kept. They also see more maintainance than most streetbikes do.

It was the fuel pump. Got a used one from sonic the same day and was ready for sunday (another great thing about riding old junk, used parts/spares everywhere and cheap) but yeah I agree with everything omni said. That's the only problem I've had, and haven't seen any other major problems on the grid either

Edit-that was back in 2012 or 13, unless you were talking about this season when i bike was randomly losing power/shutting off, that was because my kill switch got smashed in a crash a few years ago and it finally stopped staying in the ON position. Figured it out and hardwired it to ON. So yeah, crash damage lol

Last edited:
Or bring an R6 to the R6 cup (Lost Era,LOL), and everyone else in the pits have tons of spares to pass around too,LOL.
Once I killed a wheel bearing when I forgot a rear wheel spacer, and Kipping lent me a new bearing, spacer and axle for the weekend till I could get new ones.....My own stupidity forgetting the spacer,LOL

Another time Last july, I crashed and holed the right side cover, leaking oil.....so I used the endurance bike for my next qualifier ...Ty had a spare cover, and Dan Langevin had it changed before I was even off the track,LOL. Good people in SOAR

Also that time I leant you that little cage insiade the airbox because that old bastard at NCK wouldn't sell one lol

I've leant out axles spacers a few times too

Buy an insurance write off street R6, show up friday with it you'll be racing by sunday lol

I raced my first two seasons on my last R6, stock except for pipe and jets, and a steering damper. Stock tired suspension, OEM Yamaha brake pads and all. And still did pretty well. The bike was never the weak link in my program,LOL

Once I killed a wheel bearing when I forgot a rear wheel spacer, and Kipping lent me a new bearing, spacer and axle for the weekend till I could get new ones.....My own stupidity forgetting the spacer,LOL
Reminds me, I have the spacer you lent me for months kicking around the tool box, sorry :(

And still have Tony's axle, he saved my last race of the year

Last edited:
not sure where the OP stands now with his purchase but just saw this on kijiji today if it is of interest

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ke/1036713695?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

no relation to seller just saw it on Kijiji maybe someone knows the bike and can chime in

Bike works well. I have a spare tank in my shop for it fitted for a dry break. i did a top end rebuild on it that doesnt have much time on it. Owners are great peeps that will treat you right. At the moment if your a woman over 40 and fit Bridgestones this bike fits EVERY class at SOAR

CBR's are quite new, not sure you will find one track ready. If you are planning to convert one, make sure you understand the work and money needed. Why not a Ninja 250?
Thanks for the links guys. I made a decision to start on a 250 so I'm looking for a Honda CBR 250r now.

I'm almost set on purchasing a 250 cbr this winter. My only worry now is that the bike will not fit into any of the racing classes. I don't care about being extremely competitive but I do want to enter a couple of races to learn the craft of motorcycle racing which I have a feeling I won't get from going to track days only.

Back
Top Bottom