Action Cameras | GTAMotorcycle.com

Action Cameras

ifiddles

thinking of buying one for my fiancé for Christmas but don't really feel like spending tons on a GoPro...anyone here use anything else, like the Drift Ghost HD or the Wasp Cams?...what about other reasonably priced brands?...I have googled, looked at Best Buy, Future Shop, Revzilla, and other online motorcycle stores and read tons of reviews but it all seems so mind boggling...just looking for real world feedback...thanks

Do a search. Some where I saw them for $200 new. Go Pro with less features. Does the same thing, Unless you want all the bells and whistles.
Good Luck.

I have 2 GoPro HD Hero 2's which I don't really use much anymore, as I replaced them with a Drift Ghost-S.

The Ghost-S is much better than the GoPro2 IMO. I find its low-light performance far superior, and love the fact I don't need to worry about carrying around/switching housings depending on weather. That said, I do use an external mic with it as I'm a motovlogger, and using the rear hatch necessary for that does make the camera non-waterproof. Haven't had any issues so far riding in relatively rainy days, but another guy I know fried his in a downpour, so I'd recommend keeping the waterproof hatch on during poor conditions.

Battery life is great too, I consistently get around 3 hours of recording time as opposed to about 2-2.5 on my GoPros; and I love the fact it has a built-in viewscreen and included remote. I picked up an LCD Backpac for the GoPro and never used it, mostly because I frequently forgot to turn it off on startup and found my camera dead 30 minutes later.

I mostly use one of the GoPros now as an on-bike dashcam of sorts. That said, they're still excellent cameras, but they're also 3 generations old now with the Hero 3, Hero 3+, and now Hero 4 series out, so it's nearly impossible to find batteries or housings for them in stores. Not looking forward to my batteries eventually dying, but I might just hardwire the power at that point.

I have both a GoPro Hero 3 Black and a Drift Ghost, and the Hero is the better camera image quality wise. With that said, I tend to use the Drift more, as it is easy to mount on a helmet, and gets better battery life than the GoPro does.

Btw with these helmet mounted cam, how do you solve the issue of different head positions when putting along and when tucking in?

What about the Contour HD's? To me, theyve got the best helmet cam format.

I have an old one (8yrs old, non-HD). Used to use it the car on racetracks - thinking of getting a new HD version to put on my bike helmet.

How come no one has mentioned Contours?

I may be wrong but I beleive Contour went out of business.

I have a Contour Roam and it's not the best...no sound, picture quality is poor, stops and starts, and no tech support as the company went out of business (it is an older model which could be why it doesn't work so well)...I saw the cheap Go Pro but I honestly don't like it's square shape...prefer the more streamlined bullet style like the Drift...Sena is coming out with a camera which would link in to our headsets which would be very cool, but again, it's $400 + and not available until January 2015...thanks everyone for the input...I think I might go with the Drift...

I have a Sony and it works well paid 120 for it from factory direct as I refurb. The WiFi works well and has good picture and sound.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have a Sony and it works well paid 120 for it from factory direct as I refurb. The WiFi works well and has good picture and sound.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I was just going to say the same. love this little camera. I have the Drift HD170 and the Sony HDR-AS15. The kit that's sold at Factory Direct come with about $100 worth of mounts.. Also replacement batteries are really cheap.

Has anyone tried the www.veho-muvi.com cameras?

Was told the new one that was just released works with all the gopro accessories.

They also have one that's about $100 but the resolution on it is lower (get what you pay for I guess). May still get it, as I'm only really looking for something small to use as a dashcam.

This could be a game changer. An integrated action camera and bluetooth intercom system.

Sena 10C

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-10c/preview.htm

sena-10c-on-helmet.jpg

This looks good, if they make it smaller it will sell well. Many already agree that Sena makes the best communicators already. I would buy this.

I believe the intent is to produce a smaller unit. the article states this is a prototype, the commercial version will be a reduced profile.

Would buy as well... but have a 10r already. Would likely buy regardless actually.

this is what I REALLY want...we have the Sena SMH-5 headsets and this camera would interface with it whereby we could add audio as we're recording...being released in January and will be $400 + according to a Sena rep http://www.sena.com/promo/prism/

I noticed this as well. Seems like a great unit. Just not a fan of my helmet becoming a clothes hanger of communication devices. I hope it can compete with GoPro, Drift, and Sony's action cam. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom