Best Toronto Motorcycle Show to Buy Gear At? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Toronto Motorcycle Show to Buy Gear At?

Lord I hated working these shows, 10 hrs on your feet dealing with the pepperoni stink of the whistling gophers.

They pick up something and say "whats this go fer??" and when you tell them they whistle and walk on.......

My thoughts, and I've been riding for... Ever.... Don't always put down the local bike shop purchases. They may be higher in cost but, if you have a warranty or problem with the purchase it's nice to be able to go in and speak with someone about it, not talk over the Internet. Most stores want to stay in business so they are there to help you, you get to see what you actually are buying, sometimes a purchase from the States that is a great price means random customs costs when the item gets through Windsor, or, additional costs from Canada Post at your door. Returning an item to the States can be a nightmare. Currency exchange now is high. Watch for imitations on the Internet or States purchases. Also the bike shows, hmmm, I've seen pepperoni sticks and beer nuts that have an expiry date of long ago, this is old stock they are pushing at the show. As some have said, pizza pizza for how much? A can of soda costs what? Outrages. But that's what it is. The sellers at the shows, I find, you must know the product and the prices. Those leather sellers... I'm a big guy and one seller didn't have my size chaps so he just walked over to another booth and picked up a larger pair off their table and started sizing me. I don't know. Also the leather remember you get what you pay for. Some of the leather is like cardboard. And it rains and I look at my friends hands and they are all black from his gloves, my gloves are deerskin from a local shop and soft and the colour never runs onto your hands. I bought a pair of thick buttery soft lined chaps in Toronto at that store on Yonge at Bloor on the east side about 6 years ago and the things are as comfy as can be, still soft and very warm. Worth the extra money. Helmets - someone said they don't go bad. Yes actually they do. Newer is better. Actually you should discard your helmet after 3 years of use because the sun breaks down the plastic, I guess most dont. Bike tires - watch those super show sales also. Always look on the side of the tire for the manufacture date, yes they get old. Even americade in New York might sell you great tire prices but look for the manufacturer date. Again, most reputable bike places around Toronto won't sell old tires. Hey it's buyer beware people. I'm just trying to tell you.
gP bikes is really good at the show and have a lot of stock. But please don't always put down local bike shops for pricing as one day you just might need that place for a repair or part and be glad they are still around. No I'm not a store owner, just an old biker. I hate harley dealers prices as much as everyone else around here and have always said if deeley H D would just drop the prices more people would use their services and keep them working harder. So I also run to New York once in a while to get parts. Just be careful at these bargain outlet places and shows and know what you get. Enjoy the beef jerky everyone!

My thoughts, and I've been riding for... Ever.... Don't always put down the local bike shop purchases. They may be higher in cost but, if you have a warranty or problem with the purchase it's nice to be able to go in and speak with someone about it, not talk over the Internet. Most stores want to stay in business so they are there to help you, you get to see what you actually are buying, sometimes a purchase from the States that is a great price means random customs costs when the item gets through Windsor, or, additional costs from Canada Post at your door. Returning an item to the States can be a nightmare. Currency exchange now is high. Watch for imitations on the Internet or States purchases. Also the bike shows, hmmm, I've seen pepperoni sticks and beer nuts that have an expiry date of long ago, this is old stock they are pushing at the show. As some have said, pizza pizza for how much? A can of soda costs what? Outrages. But that's what it is. The sellers at the shows, I find, you must know the product and the prices. Those leather sellers... I'm a big guy and one seller didn't have my size chaps so he just walked over to another booth and picked up a larger pair off their table and started sizing me. I don't know. Also the leather remember you get what you pay for. Some of the leather is like cardboard. And it rains and I look at my friends hands and they are all black from his gloves, my gloves are deerskin from a local shop and soft and the colour never runs onto your hands. I bought a pair of thick buttery soft lined chaps in Toronto at that store on Yonge at Bloor on the east side about 6 years ago and the things are as comfy as can be, still soft and very warm. Worth the extra money. Helmets - someone said they don't go bad. Yes actually they do. Newer is better. Actually you should discard your helmet after 3 years of use because the sun breaks down the plastic, I guess most dont. Bike tires - watch those super show sales also. Always look on the side of the tire for the manufacture date, yes they get old. Even americade in New York might sell you great tire prices but look for the manufacturer date. Again, most reputable bike places around Toronto won't sell old tires. Hey it's buyer beware people. I'm just trying to tell you.
gP bikes is really good at the show and have a lot of stock. But please don't always put down local bike shops for pricing as one day you just might need that place for a repair or part and be glad they are still around. No I'm not a store owner, just an old biker. I hate harley dealers prices as much as everyone else around here and have always said if deeley H D would just drop the prices more people would use their services and keep them working harder. So I also run to New York once in a while to get parts. Just be careful at these bargain outlet places and shows and know what you get. Enjoy the beef jerky everyone!

Thanks Lone Wolf, that was actually really helpful. And I have actually ended up buying a helmet from a local dealer in Guelph (Royal Distributing) because they pretty much were on par with the American website pricing, so for not having to do a currency conversion, no shipping, and being able to try it on in-store, it was a fantastic deal! However, I have had to look elsewhere for some gear because retailers tend to not have as diverse stock as e-tailers (most likely due to a lack of inventory space), and while the prices may be acceptable, you might be getting an item that you're not 100% pleased with for your needs.

And I have actually ended up buying a helmet from a local dealer in Guelph (Royal Distributing) because they pretty much were on par with the American website pricing...../QUOTE]

I hope to god you checked the manufacturing date.... I have seen helmets there that are 9 years old. Well past safety timeline..

I hope to god you checked the manufacturing date.... I have seen helmets there that are 9 years old. Well past safety timeline..

Oh ya, no worries, I got a helmet from their latest catalogue. I think the helmet itself came out in 2013, but the graphic I got just came in this year.

And I have actually ended up buying a helmet from a local dealer in Guelph (Royal Distributing) because they pretty much were on par with the American website pricing...../QUOTE]

And they are still aloud to have them on the shelf? Or is it a "recommended" safety date so to speak?

And they are still aloud to have them on the shelf? Or is it a "recommended" safety date so to speak?

There is nothing legally stopping them from selling anything. Buyer beware.

If you are going to use the helmet for roadracing (and possibly some track days), the manufacturing date is going to be checked. 5 to 6 years old from the date of manufacture (depending on organization) is the limit.

Is it the fact that the helmet is 9 years old, or rather that it has been exposed to the elements - specifically UV's, that a helmet breaks down?

Is it the fact that the helmet is 9 years old, or rather that it has been exposed to the elements - specifically UV's, that a helmet breaks down?

elements and sweat definitely wear down the protective qualities of the helmet. But even helmets that have been sitting on the shelf for years can become unsafe. The interior of the helmet is made up of a molded resin, polymers. Resins continue to harden after the initial hardening process, so as the years pass the interiors become more stiff and eventually become brittle and start to crack...this is obviously not a good thing haha.

It's always a good idea to change up your helmets after a few years, even if you haven't dropped it.

I hope to pick up a pair of riding pants and a rain suit.
Anyone else planning on going to the January show? I will probably be there on the Sunday. Would be nice to finally put some faces to the user names.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

So I'm just planning out next weekend, and wondering, still, if anyone else is going to the bike show. I was thinking of going on Sunday, usually less busy, maybe score some deals...they can't take all that cured meat home, right Inreb?
Anyone else going to be there Sunday?

I find most of the good deals are gone the first couple days. I'm an oddballed size, so my choices on gear are severely limited. If you're a standard size you may have better luck.

I find most of the good deals are gone the first couple days. I'm an oddballed size, so my choices on gear are severely limited. If you're a standard size you may have better luck.

Short and fat, so I guess I'm the oddball size, too. I'm usually pretty good at convincing people to lower their prices and I am not to picky as to what I am looking for. Combine that with an OT shift at work Saturday, and I might still come out ahead. (I was also lucky enough to have someone give me 2 passes to the show-- additional savings)

So by my informal poll I have two possible conclusions: 1- no one will be at the show on Sunday
2- no one wants to meet me.
The second is the more plausible, as it describes my college life and girls.

Back
Top Bottom