UberX targeted by cab companies with ad campaign over safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

UberX targeted by cab companies with ad campaign over safety

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
UberX targeted by cab companies with ad campaign over safety
Cab companies have channelled their anger about a new competitor into a national movement. Seven taxi operators in cities across Canada have launched an advertising campaign to discredit cheaper rideshare services — namely UberX — that threaten to drive them out of business.
An open letter warns readers to "think" before they take the rideshare route and to be aware of "the risks of using an unregulated service. Is the car safe? Is the driver fully trained?"

The letter also applauds the safety, security and value of the regulated taxi industry where, it states, drivers have proper insurance and certification, and their cars meet all safety requirements.

"I wouldn't get into a plane knowing that there was an amateur pilot that was flying this. I wouldn't get into a train if it wasn't a regulated system … so why would you even take that risk and go into an unregulated vehicle?" asks Carolyn Bauer, spokeswoman for the newly formed Canadian Taxicab Companies group.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ube...panies-with-ad-campaign-over-safety-1.2826240

Needless to say, judging by the comments posted on cbc.ca, the cab mafia cartel failed to achieve their desired goal :cool:

It's fair to say that when the cab regulated system was instituted, they had no idea a seismic shift in technology to make something like Uber would have ever occurred.

I appreciate the system at the time was created to protect customers (though, a nasty consequence was that whole decal/licence thing and how it's become a perpetually paying investment for the owners), but they really need to rethink their model. A few threats and fines are not going to stop apps like Uber.

It's fair to say that when the cab regulated system was instituted, they had no idea a seismic shift in technology to make something like Uber would have ever occurred.

I appreciate the system at the time was created to protect customers (though, a nasty consequence was that whole decal/licence thing and how it's become a perpetually paying investment for the owners), but they really need to rethink their model. A few threats and fines are not going to stop apps like Uber.

Now, the entire industry is run by a mafia of very few individuals, forcing the drivers into a virtual slavery to the point where only a total lunatic would want anything to do with them and it shows on the roads :cool:

HAHA. I'd feel safer being driven by a drunk driver than some "trained" taxi drivers.

More competitors = decreased prices = better for consumers.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to feel sympathy for them

Cabbies are absolutely the most dangerous and rudest drivers in Toronto. The fares are crazy expensive and there are way too many of them. And I say it's a myth that many of them are well-educated professionals in their native countries. I hope Uber takes a huge bite out of their business.

Cabbies are absolutely the most dangerous and rudest drivers in Toronto. The fares are crazy expensive and there are way too many of them. And I say it's a myth that many of them are well-educated professionals in their native countries. I hope Uber takes a huge bite out of their business.
But uber should have to follow the same rules as taxi's do.

I call the yellow panic light they all have on their trunks the Karma Light.

They are a taxi service, they should have to have all the same licensing as taxi drivers have.

Try getting one and see what happens.

Aside from the about $4.00 start up it costs $1.75 a KM for a cab ride. It costs about $0.50 a KM to drive a reasonably new car so that leaves $1.25 a KM for the driver. At 40 KPH that equals $50.00 per hour / $100,000.00 per year minus all the fees everyone leaches off the driver. Then there are the times there are no places to park so money is spent on cruising in hopes of a fare. Add tips, deduct getting stiffed, muggings, drunks throwing up, not for me.

If Ubex is 30% cheaper ($1.25 / km) the driver gets $0.75 after vehicle expenses. Less Ubex fees I assume. At 40 KPH that's $30 per hour.

Insurance: Ubex states that is has additional coverage. Can you have two insurance policies? Do you want two insurance policies with both denying coverage because they both say "Send the bill to the other company."?

Cabbie training? What extra training do they get to make them SAFER drivers? Please don't make fun of me for even making that comment.

Bottom line is that the taxi industry got screwed up decades ago along with the insurance industry. Both systems need to be scrapped but they have to much money to protect.

Aside from the about $4.00 start up it costs $1.75 a KM for a cab ride. It costs about $0.50 a KM to drive a reasonably new car so that leaves $1.25 a KM for the driver. At 40 KPH that equals $50.00 per hour / $100,000.00 per year minus all the fees everyone leaches off the driver. Then there are the times there are no places to park so money is spent on cruising in hopes of a fare. Add tips, deduct getting stiffed, muggings, drunks throwing up, not for me.

If Ubex is 30% cheaper ($1.25 / km) the driver gets $0.75 after vehicle expenses. Less Ubex fees I assume. At 40 KPH that's $30 per hour.

Insurance: Ubex states that is has additional coverage. Can you have two insurance policies? Do you want two insurance policies with both denying coverage because they both say "Send the bill to the other company."?

Cabbie training? What extra training do they get to make them SAFER drivers? Please don't make fun of me for even making that comment.

Bottom line is that the taxi industry got screwed up decades ago along with the insurance industry. Both systems need to be scrapped but they have to much money to protect.

most insurance policies require special coverage if using the car for work.

It's hard for me to feel sympathy for them

I have sympathy for my buddy, lifer cabbie. Owns his own plate. That's a retirement fund in jeopardy. Not a game. Last few years have been skinny on account of industry manipulations/strong arm tactics by bramptonesque types in Hamilton. Insurance thru the roof because scams. See bramptonesque. Sitting in a cab all day is no joke. Neither is standing on your feet all day manning a 5 axis mill. Life is tough.

I have sympathy for my buddy, lifer cabbie. Owns his own plate. That's a retirement fund in jeopardy. Not a game. Last few years have been skinny on account of industry manipulations/strong arm tactics by bramptonesque types in Hamilton. Insurance thru the roof because scams. See bramptonesque. Sitting in a cab all day is no joke. Neither is standing on your feet all day manning a 5 axis mill. Life is tough.

Mines ain't that bad if you're referring to me. I do setups do some manipulation on the computer then stand there watching the machine do its thing. If its slightly out of spec, I make slight adjustments.

Standing on your feet all day ain't bad unless you're overweight. You get used to it plus you can lean on objects & slouch.

Mines ain't that bad if you're referring to me. I do setups do some manipulation on the computer then stand there watching the machine do its thing. If its slightly out of spec, I make slight adjustments.

Standing on your feet all day ain't bad unless you're overweight. You get used to it plus you can lean on objects & slouch.

Ya, I don't know why I brought that up, running out of material probably, anyway lots people think driving cab all day is easy like people think riding motocross is easy.

Back
Top Bottom