Enbridge gas, did not use heat but still charged $25 for gas? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enbridge gas, did not use heat but still charged $25 for gas?

Chaotic thread at best ... it has nothing to do with how much gas you consume, but everything to do with Enbridge recovering their fixed costs regardless whether you consume gas or not. Back in a day, when "saving" was not on everyone's radar, these utilities had enough revenue to not worry about it, but now, they simply don't sell enough gas to pay for the necessary infrastructure to stay in placer and good shape. The same will happen with water and electricity .... just watch it. These type of fees will be rising ... basically the more you save the more the fix fees will rise? This will shock many people, but at the end of the day, the savings will be nowhere near to what we were told years ago when energy saving appliances became the thing ....

Customer Charge

Through the Customer Charge, Enbridge recovers a portion of their fixed costs, that do not vary with your consumption. This would include costs for emergency response, meter reading, maintenance of their equipment, and call centre services. It is a fixed monthly amount.

Chaotic thread at best ... it has nothing to do with how much gas you consume, but everything to do with Enbridge recovering their fixed costs regardless whether you consume gas or not. Back in a day, when "saving" was not on everyone's radar, these utilities had enough revenue to not worry about it, but now, they simply don't sell enough gas to pay for the necessary infrastructure to stay in placer and good shape. The same will happen with water and electricity .... just watch it. These type of fees will be rising ... basically the more you save the more the fix fees will rise? This will shock many people, but at the end of the day, the savings will be nowhere near to what we were told years ago when energy saving appliances became the thing ....

Customer Charge

Through the Customer Charge, Enbridge recovers a portion of their fixed costs, that do not vary with your consumption. This would include costs for emergency response, meter reading, maintenance of their equipment, and call centre services. It is a fixed monthly amount.

It's already happened to electricity. $52 delivery fee to deliver 28 dollars in electricity. previous month was 45 dollars delivery fee to deliver $17 dollars in electricity. **** you ontario hydro. that's plus all the other fees.

I pay $75/month to keep my account active with enbridge. I use gas 2 months of the year. The usage is minimal.

All businesses look for big profit makers but they are almost impossible to find so they cut back on the little things that they used to give away.

In some countries you pay for the little packs of ketchup at burger joints.

Banks charge you to take out some of your own money. They actually charge you when you give them the money that creates their profit. Sorta like a petting zoo where you pay to feed the farmers animals but no cute factor.

Visitors parking at some building is now pay parking, pay and display. BTW make sure the stub is right side up. A buddy got a $30 lesson.

The utilities are just following the same path.

It's already happened to electricity. $52 delivery fee to deliver 28 dollars in electricity. previous month was 45 dollars delivery fee to deliver $17 dollars in electricity. **** you ontario hydro. that's plus all the other fees.
The people of Ontario have no one to blame but themselves, they voted the liberals in again, after all the BS from them

This is due to the privatization of hydro by the conservative party
The rates have contributed to sky rocket under the liberals. Rates have gone up again November 1, and will continue to go to. Eventually it's going to be to expensive for the average person. Enbridge has applied for another decrease in rates for November. They had a pervious decrease in July

I was watching part of a film about electrical service in Kapoor India where only about one in five pay for electricity. The rest tap off the overhead lines with crimps, hooks twists etc. All done by free lance types in a Robin Hood attitude.

The tops of the power poles look like a balls of wire with leads going in every direction. Shake your head stuff.

It's just the beginning .... water is coming too. Thank to all the high efficiency this and that, better windows, insulation, the list is long .... LOL ... the concept, that to consume little amount to save money was never in the cards. Once you need to be on the grid ... whether water, gas or electricity ... they have you "hooked".

It's just the beginning .... water is coming too. Thank to all the high efficiency this and that, better windows, insulation, the list is long .... LOL ... the concept, that to consume little amount to save money was never in the cards. Once you need to be on the grid ... whether water, gas or electricity ... they have you "hooked".

Currently I pump my own water, there has been discussion by various levels of government to put a meter on my pump. If they want to do that they can pay for the cost of my well and pump and maintenance

Currently I pump my own water, there has been discussion by various levels of government to put a meter on my pump. If they want to do that they can pay for the cost of my well and pump and maintenance

Precedent: Somewhere I heard that in Colorado you aren't allowed to collect rainwater. Since what is in your well was originally rain.........

I had an uncle in Manitoba that had a well but when the town extended water to his house he was supposed to disconnect the well and pay the water in and out charges. He said he did disconnect the well ;)

Also a lot of places ban the burning of wood.

You can't send home baked cookies to school with your kid.

Big brother will eventually own us 100%

They'll find a way to stop us from growing a carrot in our own back yard. Gotta buy GMOs

Last edited:
Precedent: Somewhere I heard that in Colorado you aren't allowed to collect rainwater. Since what is in your well was originally rain.........

I had an uncle in Manitoba that had a well but when the town extended water to his house he was supposed to disconnect the well and pay the water in and out charges. He said he did disconnect the well ;)

Also a lot of places ban the burning of wood.

You can't send home baked cookies to school with your kid.

Big brother will eventually own us 100%

They'll find a way to stop us from growing a carrot in our own back yard. Gotta buy GMOs

Oregon or Washington for rain water

I agree that there has been an steady erosion of civil liberties and freedoms, but that's a poor example. The "Prior Appropriation Water Rights" law in Colorado was originally passed in 1872 to ensure that rainwater was properly returned to the water table.

The fact is that in this case, freedom is actually returning back to the citizens: the law was repealed in 2009.

Shocking and unbelievable .... about the water rights in Colorado.

I agree that there has been an steady erosion of civil liberties and freedoms, but that's a poor example. The "Prior Appropriation Water Rights" law in Colorado was originally passed in 1872 to ensure that rainwater was properly returned to the water table.

The fact is that in this case, freedom is actually returning back to the citizens: the law was repealed in 2009.

Good to hear about the repeal and it would be interesting to know the exact circumstances of the original law and how it was enforced. Maybe like HTA 172 there was some good intent that got abused.

The same law that stops a person from damming a valley to create his own lake could be used to stop Aunt Martha from collecting a bucket of rainwater to water her carrots. BTW city water is crap for veggies.

sometimes,,, meters get put on the wrong accounts.. so A is paying for B ... strange things do happen.. if you can check the pipes that leave your meter to your appliances.. or turn on your appliances, look for the test dial to spin,, turn off the appliance,,see that the test dial stops ... this may take 2 people.

or if the gas co. will send a tech out to prove the meter supplies gas to your unit.

also,, there is a dispute procedure that brings in Measurement Canada to ensure the gas goes to the correct unit, and there are no errors in the bill...

hope that helps

sometimes,,, meters get put on the wrong accounts.. so A is paying for B ... strange things do happen.. if you can check the pipes that leave your meter to your appliances.. or turn on your appliances, look for the test dial to spin,, turn off the appliance,,see that the test dial stops ... this may take 2 people.

or if the gas co. will send a tech out to prove the meter supplies gas to your unit.

also,, there is a dispute procedure that brings in Measurement Canada to ensure the gas goes to the correct unit, and there are no errors in the bill...

hope that helps
If you dispute a gas meter and measurement Canada determines the meter is accurate, which is over 90 percent of the time, you're on the hook for the cost of the test. Measurement Canada does not make sure the gas goes to the correct unit. The meter is removed, taken to our meter shop, Measurement Canada comes in and tests the meter for calibration. They don't check the bill for any errors either, their only job is to check the calibration the meter. His charges are a $60 a month customer charged plus any gas used, plus adjustment charges, etc.
Checking the meter isn't as easy that. I believe his store will have a rooftop, and a drop ceiling, even if you turn the thermostat on and off and someone watches the meter and it works, there could still be someone else's rooftop on his meter, the only way to know for certain is to trace the supply line from the meter the rooftop. People running appliances on other people's meter does happen, but it's not Enbridge's problem, the customer has to have it fixed at their costs. There are times when they will send out a contractor to trace the lines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom