Enbridge gas, did not use heat but still charged $25 for gas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enbridge gas, did not use heat but still charged $25 for gas?

motoride777

hi, i used to live in a condo that has heating included in the maintenance fee. now i moved, so this is new to me. please advice.

the condo i live in now has a gas furnace. i just got a bill from Enbridge for the month of October. on the bill it lists $35 for furnace rental. which is ok. but there's also a $25 gas charge. for the whole month i did not turn on heat.

i get that there's a pilot light in the furnace, but does it burn $25 worth of natural gas?

maybe those of you who already use Enbridge gas can comment on this. thanks!

Take a look at the chart that shows the history of usage for your address.

Is there a 'E' over the month in question? If so, then they are estimating the amount of gas used based on last year's usage at the same time. They don't check your meter every month. Next month they will take an actual reading and since your gas usage should be lower than expected, your next bill should be lower. It all works out, it's just that they estimate every second month's usage.

hi, i used to live in a condo that has heating included in the maintenance fee. now i moved, so this is new to me. please advice.

the condo i live in now has a gas furnace. i just got a bill from Enbridge for the month of October. on the bill it lists $35 for furnace rental. which is ok. but there's also a $25 gas charge. for the whole month i did not turn on heat.

i get that there's a pilot light in the furnace, but does it burn $25 worth of natural gas?

maybe those of you who already use Enbridge gas can comment on this. thanks!

could be the delivery fee, or an estimate gas usage.

check to see if the meter reading on your bill has an 'E' or 'R'. E implies they estimated how much gas you would have used. They then adjust the next bill when they do an actual reading. At my place, they do readings every other month. So yeah, occasionally, I'll get a bill that says I used gas, only to have the next one adjusted to negate the use.

My general annoyance with that is that we pay a delivery fee to basically keep the account alive. I pay $20 a month in the hot months for nothing. I looked into cancelling my gas in the summer months, but the closing and then initialization fees make it prohibitive.

The bill should show the cubic feet or similar quantity used. However even if you don't use the gas there is still a charge for having the equipment sitting there at your disposal.

You can have that charge removed by requesting a disconnect but it may cost you a ton for a reconnect when you need it.

It sounds like a rip off but can you imagine Hertz leaving a rental car at your house and you only pay for it when you put on miles.

There's a pilot light?

thanks for the reply guys! how much is this fee?

I want to say it was $100 to close, then $50 to reopen. I can't remember for sure though. Your situation is a little different though since you're renting your heater. Mine is owned by the condo itself.

I want to say it was $100 to close, then $50 to reopen. I can't remember for sure though. Your situation is a little different though since you're renting your heater. Mine is owned by the condo itself.

That sounds about right. I went through the exercise with an industrial condo and it was a crap shoot between shutting down for six month and paying the minimum.

Check your gas bill to see the break down, even if you aren't using the gas - you would be charged a fee..pilot light = you are using gas!

Untitled_zps6f4d6663.png

Customer fee. 20$ a month for the privilege of being their customer.

There's a $25 administration fee to open an account. They'd also a customer charge whether you use don't gas at all, that's $20, there's tax and an adjustment fee.

Customer fee. 20$ a month for the privilege of being their customer.
If you don't like the fee, go electric. It's too cover infrastructure. Enbridge doesn't make any money on the sale of gas, they are a distribution company, what they buy gas at is what they sell it at.

Back
Top Bottom