Specs on new Ninja H2 street released | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Specs on new Ninja H2 street released

Who wrote that crap article LOL

da fuk is so "astonishing" about 197hp with a SUPERCHARGED 1L engine LOL... that's not astonishing, that's pathetic. Hey Kawasaki, BMW called, they're laughing at you.

My words almost exactly to my friend this morning who's kawi's biggest fan. Took a supercharger to get there and now it weighs considerably more. Well done. Not. S1000rr all day over that big barrel of hideousness

Yep ... In the Cycle World video in which the H2R is shown on the dyno, the junction of the exhaust header and the inside of what little muffler that it has, start glowing red-hot within seconds of the engine starting to run at full load. No 3-way catalyst would survive that! The street version has to be de-tuned at least somewhat, in order for the catalyst to survive.

The platinum pellets in catalytic converters actually work at red-hot conditions, they don't even work below 550F, and typically run into 800F.
You will not melt down until orange-yellow hot @ 1000F. You still only have 250cc per cylinder.

My words almost exactly to my friend this morning who's kawi's biggest fan. Took a supercharger to get there and now it weighs considerably more. Well done. Not. S1000rr all day over that big barrel of hideousness

Yeah, then they want $27,500 for it. This is more than an HP4 with all the fast bits added.
What did all that cost, weight and complexity actually achieve?
I'm a huge Kawa fan, but this project lost the plot somewhere.

Never heard of boost described as "comically low" but I suppose if you start at 0 that could happen. Nice scoot btw, adjustable seat, green frame...the works.

I'm thinking somewhere around 5 psi

Yeah, then they want $27,500 for it. This is more than an HP4 with all the fast bits added.
What did all that cost, weight and complexity actually achieve?
I'm a huge Kawa fan, but this project lost the plot somewhere.
You would think that at that price they could have made it look half decent. All that just to say "look at me I have a supercharged bike" I'd take the zx10 over this all day too

Last edited:
The platinum pellets in catalytic converters actually work at red-hot conditions, they don't even work below 550F, and typically run into 800F.
You will not melt down until orange-yellow hot @ 1000F. You still only have 250cc per cylinder.

The exhaust temperature right after the exhaust ports would be well beyond that. With a normal engine, the heat dissipation from the primary header pipes is just enough to get the temperature within acceptable range before the catalyst (that's basically why the catalyst is a certain distance downstream of the engine - its location is not by accident). This one is not normal, there's 50% more mass flow through each cylinder ... The exhaust valves are Inconel, which ought to indicate how hot they expect them to run.

It is known that Rickey Gadson has his hands on one ...

I'm thinking somewhere around 5 psi

Hmmm, atmosphere is 15psi.....another 5psi is getting up there. That would produce good power, I'm thinking comically low would be measured in inches wc.

Motorcycle ram air works (some better than others) and its effects have been tested and reported; this has been known for a long time.

No doubt it works. We are at the quantify stage. I say not 10hp. Of course I could be. Wrong.

Motorcycle ram air works (some better than others) and its effects have been tested and reported; this has been known for a long time.

I'm actually directly quoting from Kevin Cameron ' s Sportbike Performance Handbook, which has a sub chapter dedicated to the myths of "ram" air.
It's only about getting cooler air, not air pressure. That's why modern F1 cars still have the air scoops despite turbocharging.
For bikes, there is a pressure effect at well over 150 mph, but even then it's not 10hp.

Ruff numbers, at 300 km/h the "velocity pressure" - the pressure that is achieved if an airstream of that velocity is brought to rest without losses - is around 4 kPa, 4% of atmospheric pressure (which is 101 kPa under standard conditions). Higher intake pressure in addition to just filling the cylinders with that pressure, also tends to purge the cylinder better during the valve overlap period. For a 200 hp engine to become 210 hp with ram air (assuming at top speed of ~ 300 km/h) is about right.

This is assuming that the ram air system is well designed, because not all of them are. Kawasaki has been doing ram air for a long time, and they generally get this right.

Well that's disappointing. 10hp @ 300km/h will help to push the bike to 300.001km/h.

I'm actually directly quoting from Kevin Cameron ' s Sportbike Performance Handbook, which has a sub chapter dedicated to the myths of "ram" air.
It's only about getting cooler air, not air pressure. That's why modern F1 cars still have the air scoops despite turbocharging.
For bikes, there is a pressure effect at well over 150 mph, but even then it's not 10hp.

Talk about an old out-of-date reference.

How about some actual testing and data done more recently for everyone. Google works y'all know. ;)

Older test
http://www.sportrider.com/ram-air-whats-it-worth

Newer test (first page is linked at the bottom)
http://www.sportrider.com/ram-air-test-part-deux/?image=5

Hmmm, atmosphere is 15psi.....another 5psi is getting up there. That would produce good power, I'm thinking comically low would be measured in inches wc.

You know perfectly well I meant 5 psi above atmospheric pressure... I can't be upset because you've been on a roll lately and I've joined your fan club

Back
Top Bottom