Specs on new Ninja H2 street released | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Specs on new Ninja H2 street released

The quoted horsepower is at 11,000 rpm. It goes to 14,000 rpm. Centrifugal superchargers make more boost with higher revs. Do you really think this engine just signs off and rolls over at 11,000 rpm???

Maybe they're just not telling what it will do at 13,000 rpm ... Lawyers ... Insurance companies ... Bureaucrats ...

It would not be the first time the Japanese motor industry has done something like that.

This thing has to meet emissions regulations and be insurable in stock form too. Kawasaki is just playing it safe with the numbers. Does the supercharger look any different on the H2R?

Supposedly the hardware differences are: camshafts, head gasket, clutch, rear sprocket (H2R has two teeth fewer = taller gearing), exhaust system (obviously), and no doubt the ECU will be tuned differently.

The supercharger looks the same. It would be interesting to count the number of teeth on the gears and sprockets involved in driving it, and compare that between the two engines.

Why a whopping 50% power difference between the street and track versions?

Regulations for street bikes dont allow them to make that kind of power, that is why the H2R has so much more power as it is not street legal and therefore does not have to meet those regulations. Just listen the difference in the sound of the 2 bikes, one sounds like any catted up street bike the other sounds like a straight piped beast

I dont know why people keep comparing apples to oranges with this bike, putting its specs up against other supersport 1000's. Its not a replacement for the ZX10 and its not designed or marketed to compete with the BMW S1000. Its a totally different and new genre of bike. And I like it for that reason....At least they are pushing technology, first super charged street legal bike from the factory...
Maybe it floats maybe it sinks but at least they are doing something "different"...

Personally I am interested in owning the street version, mostly for the fact I could own a reliable boosted bike from the factory...Sure you could build a turbo or SC bike but this is stock. And I would also like to see where it can go power and performance wise from there with simple bolt on exhausts and mild tuning...

Last edited:
Regulations for street bikes dont allow them to make that kind of power, that is why the H2R has so much more power as it is not street legal and therefore does not have to meet those regulations. .

There are no regulations on power for motorcycles. Zero.

The quoted horsepower is at 11,000 rpm. It goes to 14,000 rpm. Centrifugal superchargers make more boost with higher revs. Do you really think this engine just signs off and rolls over at 11,000 rpm???

This supercharger has a two-speed transmission to slow down the turbine at higher revs.

Whatever happened to the "gentlemen's agreement" among the major manufacturers to cap the top speed of motorcycles to 300kph?

Still, there's probably something to the idea that Kawasaki didn't want to step too much out of line with the street version? Insurers would've probably LOLed in unison at a 250hp litre bike.

Whatever happened to the "gentlemen's agreement" among the major manufacturers to cap the top speed of motorcycles to 300kph?

This story is covered in this video, starting at 6:40:

[video=youtube;Ucc6UaWR3HI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucc6UaWR3HI[/video]

in short, the agreement was ignored because of electronic TC, ABS, Anti-wheelie, etc. Anti-stupid controls means you can get more power.

Still, there's probably something to the idea that Kawasaki didn't want to step too much out of line with the street version? Insurers would've probably LOLed in unison at a 250hp litre bike.

Exactly, especially is this was the only one. Also, when Johnny Squid's family sues Kawasaki after his demise, his layers can point out that the bike had much more power than anything on the market and thus was a DEATH MACHINE. Ca-ching.

I did not say there are regulations on power, I said there are regulations that they have to conform to for the bike to be street legal that dont allow them to make the same kind of power. Like emissions, you will notice the exhaust on the H2R is basically a straight pipe with not cat on it....Things like that allow them to make more power when they are not restricted to conform to street regulations. Just like with all street legal bikes there is more power to be uncorked when you remove these parts that are on there to make bikes street legal.

If you read up on the engine it uses the exact same motor, only slight internal parts and ECU programming and the lack of parts like a cat allow them to make more power out of basically the same engine. Its also alot louder, which again is not legal for the street

Last edited:

No, but there is a "gentlemen's agreement" to not sell street bikes with over 200 PS (metric horsepower) = 197 HP. Note how they are all bouncing around the same official number while there is all sorts of speculation about what it really is? In reality, this is more of a gentlemen's agreement to not "advertise" more than that figure. The Japanese motor industry has been through this before. Cars have/had the same sort of agreement at one time.

This supercharger has a two-speed transmission to slow down the turbine at higher revs.

That is in the patent documentation, but I've seen no evidence that this is present in the production engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u0E2lniaj0

The crankshaft has an extra gear that is driving one of those gears on the countershaft (separate from the gear that drives the clutch basket).

There is a second gear on that countershaft ... but I suspect that this is just the starter-clutch gear. It's not meshing with anything on the crankshaft, and there's no shift fork or any such mechanism.

Still in effect. That may be why the street version appears to be hobbled.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the street H2 is or isn't subject to the same speed restriction... I would guess that it is

Personally I am interested in owning the street version, mostly for the fact I could own a reliable boosted bike from the factory...Sure you could build a turbo or SC bike but this is stock. And I would also like to see where it can go power and performance wise from there with simple bolt on exhausts and mild tuning...

I can't help but immediately think of the 80's GPZ750 Turbo when you say that. I guess in some ways I find that bike more interesting than the H2, because that was a legitimate attempt to explore ways to get more power out of a motor. Of course, arguably even THAT was lawyer restrained (reduced boost from factory, possible to unrestrict with minimum effort fiddling with ECU). Also EFI on a sportbike, before it was common (definitely not the first)

For it to be making "only" 200hp, boost has got to be limited to something comically low for the street version

No, but there is a "gentlemen's agreement" to not sell street bikes with over 200 PS (metric horsepower) = 197 HP. Note how they are all bouncing around the same official number while there is all sorts of speculation about what it really is? In reality, this is more of a gentlemen's agreement to not "advertise" more than that figure. The Japanese motor industry has been through this before. Cars have/had the same sort of agreement at one time.

This actually makes sense to me, since a lot of the bikes (ZX10R, S1000RR, ZX14R) can still go over 299km/h although the speedo doesn't read after 299.

I also noticed in the P1 vs 918 vs 1199 video that the HP reading for Ducati was "well over 200", but not given a solid number.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the street H2 is or isn't subject to the same speed restriction... I would guess that it is

I can't help but immediately think of the 80's GPZ750 Turbo when you say that. I guess in some ways I find that bike more interesting than the H2, because that was a legitimate attempt to explore ways to get more power out of a motor. Of course, arguably even THAT was lawyer restrained (reduced boost from factory, possible to unrestrict with minimum effort fiddling with ECU). Also EFI on a sportbike, before it was common (definitely not the first)

For it to be making "only" 200hp, boost has got to be limited to something comically low for the street version

Also keep in mind the marketing points to this bike being about acceleration not top speed or massive hoarse power output. So I think the real treat will be the torque curve not peak HP, and we really need to wait till outside sources get a chance to dyno these bikes and post real world numbers, and also tinker with the exhausts and fuel injection, and remove emissions crap like cats

Ive made 9HP on a 600 just changing the exhuast, so I believe there is a lot of room for improvement in this bike and all bikes. They do have to make it reliable keep in mind, so its not going to come right out of the box at the very limit of what it can do/handle power wise

I did not say there are regulations on power, I said there are regulations that they have to conform to for the bike to be street legal. Like emissions, you will notice the exhaust on the H2R is basically a straight pipe with not cat on it....

Yep ... In the Cycle World video in which the H2R is shown on the dyno, the junction of the exhaust header and the inside of what little muffler that it has, start glowing red-hot within seconds of the engine starting to run at full load. No 3-way catalyst would survive that! The street version has to be de-tuned at least somewhat, in order for the catalyst to survive.

In the automotive world, turbocharged engines have the catalyst downstream of the turbocharger's exhaust turbine, which takes some of the energy (heat) out of the exhaust stream (and even then, a lot of them have to run obnoxiously rich under load to protect the catalyst). A lot of newer engines - whether forced-induction or not - have the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, where it is surrounded by coolant passages, which takes just enough heat out of the exhaust stream so that a close-coupled catalyst can survive - but doing that with the exhaust manifold means you can't use tuned-length header pipes, and it increases heat load on the cooling system. The extra heat on the cooling system is great for getting the engine to warm up faster, which is also good for emissions, and it's fine if you have a huge radiator to deal with it. On a motorcycle, you don't want that extra heat load in the cooling system, and a "log" manifold built into the head is terrible for a high-performance application.

Yep ... In the Cycle World video in which the H2R is shown on the dyno, the junction of the exhaust header and the inside of what little muffler that it has, start glowing red-hot within seconds of the engine starting to run at full load. No 3-way catalyst would survive that! The street version has to be de-tuned at least somewhat, in order for the catalyst to survive.

In the automotive world, turbocharged engines have the catalyst downstream of the turbocharger's exhaust turbine, which takes some of the energy (heat) out of the exhaust stream (and even then, a lot of them have to run obnoxiously rich under load to protect the catalyst). A lot of newer engines - whether forced-induction or not - have the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, where it is surrounded by coolant passages, which takes just enough heat out of the exhaust stream so that a close-coupled catalyst can survive - but doing that with the exhaust manifold means you can't use tuned-length header pipes, and it increases heat load on the cooling system. The extra heat on the cooling system is great for getting the engine to warm up faster, which is also good for emissions, and it's fine if you have a huge radiator to deal with it. On a motorcycle, you don't want that extra heat load in the cooling system, and a "log" manifold built into the head is terrible for a high-performance application.

In that video it also said the H2R's will be built to order, so they are really just testing the waters with that one so far.....

And look at a Cali market bikes, there is so much power robbing crap on those bikes....I have seen dynos of 600's from Cali making 10-15 HP less then a regular model. I had to remove that crap from a bike and it was amazing to see how much crap they packed onto it

Never heard of boost described as "comically low" but I suppose if you start at 0 that could happen. Nice scoot btw, adjustable seat, green frame...the works.

If you read up on the engine it uses the exact same motor, only slight internal parts and ECU programming and the lack of parts like a cat allow them to make more power out of basically the same engine. Its also alot louder, which again is not legal for the street

I doubt having a cat will take off 100hp.

Back
Top Bottom