can someone explain why Honda... | GTAMotorcycle.com

can someone explain why Honda...

motoride777

honda can make a motogp bike that is winning world championships. but their cars on the other hand seem inferior compare to others.

[video=youtube;jkiv-bWbLIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo[/video]

Different people, departments, parameters, goals, budgets, etc.

One of the most reliable cars out there and somehow they are inferior compared to others? Go buy a chrysler and lemme know how it goes... :lmao:

Here's the whole story with the video:

Last year Teknikens Värld tested the 4WD system in Honda CR-V. We then discovered that Honda’s 4WD system didn’t perform well at all. The system overheated when the surface was slippery. The CR-V wasn’t able to drive uphill when the traction was poor. The front wheels were just spinning and the rear wheels were not moving at all.
Honda explained that is was a built-in functionality to spare the mechanical parts of the system. But Honda did listen to our criticism and they shortly after offered all their customers in Sweden a software update to eliminate the problem.
We then tested the CR-V again with the updated software and the problem with the 4WD system was gone. CR-V was now able to run up the hill on the slippery surface.

We have now performed the same test again, now with Honda CR-V model year 2014. As you can see in the movie above the problem is back. The CR-V is not able to climb uphill when the front wheels have no friction. The rear wheels are once again not moving. After 15-20 seconds the CR-V instead slides off the low friction rolls.
Our test method with low friction rolls was approved by Honda last year. The method, which is very realistic, has also been adopted by some automakers, such as Subaru.

Here's Hondas reply to this video:

The Honda AWD system uses a compact, lightweight and fuel-efficient rear differential. The design requires a certain torque limitation for the device to be able to work effectively in real conditions, but at the same time, it must not exceed the total capacity of the AWD drive.
In real conditions, regardless of the surface, there is a certain amount of friction always available for both front and rear wheels. The AWD system benefits therefore torque between front and rear wheels in order to achieve optimal driving force.
In the roll test non-existent grip is simulated in the front and maximum grip at the rear.
If all the available torque required to move the vehicle forward would be transferred to the rear differential then the limit for the torque of the unit would be exceeded.

If the vehicle continues to run in this state (the front wheels spinning and the rear wheels standing still) the system senses the high speed variation and that the differential clutch slips and reduces the available torque to the rear wheels to prevent overheating. That is why the vehicle moves backward in the video.

In real conditions a scenario like the roll test with such a high difference in grip between the front and the rear wheels is highly unlikely.
In other words Honda does not see that the roll test fairly highlights CR-V’s AWD performance. Teknikens Värld has done a winter test where CR-V was tested on icy roads, as well as steep paths such as a ski slope.
Honda believes that these tests in real environments should be enough to show that the CR-V is a great winter car and would like to stress that there are no known customer complaints on the CR-V’s traction from the Swedish market or in other markets with similar conditions.

On Teknikens Värld’s question whether the update is made, we can with measuring instruments upon request show that for both customers and media.
Since it is important for Honda that customers feel safe and have confidence in ourselves we did an update of the software of all CR-Vs for the Swedish market.
CR-V customers were able to get the software, free of charge, updated at our dealers from April 15 and in production from July 8 in 2013.
Honda CR-V is a global car and has sold over 5 million copies. It is the world’s best-selling SUV* and the sales in Europe is growing steadily, 6 percent in comparison with last year. The CR-V therefore has many satisfied customers around the world.

I have a 2010 crv awd myself and have experienced this system work in the snow. Its not a real 4x4 but does what it was designed to do. If you don't know the difference between the different awd, 4wd and 4x4 systems out there do some research before you post silly things like this thread.

Last edited:
The rear drive system in many of those "cute utes" is lame, but one would expect that it would give more than zero torque to the rear wheels under those conditions (as its competitors did).

It's a bit too much of a generalization to say that their "cars are inferior". You can always find inferior aspects about anything. All this test shows is that under those specific conditions, the all wheel drive system does not work well. It doesn't mean the whole car is inferior ... it just doesn't pass that specific test.

The rear drive system in many of those "cute utes" is lame, but one would expect that it would give more than zero torque to the rear wheels under those conditions (as its competitors did).

It's a bit too much of a generalization to say that their "cars are inferior". You can always find inferior aspects about anything. All this test shows is that under those specific conditions, the all wheel drive system does not work well. It doesn't mean the whole car is inferior ... it just doesn't pass that specific test.
Your grip on reality is much to strong compared to the complete lack of grip contained in the OP. Since this forum doesn't have the capacity to handle large reality differentials, this thread will go nowhere.

Your grip on reality is much to strong compared to the complete lack of grip contained in the OP. Since this forum doesn't have the capacity to handle large reality differentials, this thread will go nowhere.

Nonsense, this thread has potential for 20+ pages...

Why isn't Sunny in this thread?

I don't put a lot of stock in "car of the year". Notable previous Motor Trend "car of the year" examples include the Chevy Vega, for example.

One of the CRV's "upgrades" has been the change to a CVT transmission. For myself and a lot of people, CVT means "do not buy".

Friend of mine, on my advice, bought a 2013 Civic, which had to be automatic because of the wife. I think he got the optimum choice. It has the 2013 upgrades over the lame-duck 2012 model, but doesn't have the CVT that showed up in 2014.

Just buy snow tires.

I've had a Subaru fail on a mild grade before, that's what happens when all four tires are off the ground.

My F2s have been amazing machines. Going back to one after dealing with the KTM maintenance fest was a relief. I gave the civic a try because of honda's bikes reliability and it was the second worst car I owned. It sits between a jimmy and a firebird. At 200K those cars are **** and the body dings if you look at it the wrong way. Sure they can go 400K but the steering/suspension will need a few refreshes and there are plenty of civics with blown head gaskets and blown transmissions. Also considering how they rust are they really safe at 400K?

All these AWD systems are .... cute

You can always get a real car ;)
jeep%2B2.jpg

On a serious note: I had a Honda for 12 years, awesome cars, but they are what they are, nothing more, nothing less

I have also used the 2013 Santa Fe AWD system and it works really well on winter conditions. I think the testers are confusing an AWD system with something like Brake lock differential seen on this video at 1:45 or track lock at min 3

[video=youtube;yxHQeO-Y7GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHQeO-Y7GU[/video]

Last edited:
Here you go......

click here
Have you ever thought about getting a job at Honda? If I didn't know a bit about cars you'd have me seriously convinced.

The reason I keep bothering you is you can never see a fault in Honda, that's when you know its a lie.
All these AWD systems are .... cute

You can always get a real car ;)
jeep%2B2.jpg

On a serious note: I had a Honda for 12 years, awesome cars, but they are what they are, nothing more, nothing less

I have also used the 2013 Santa Fe AWD system and it works really well on winter conditions. I think the testers are confusing an AWD system with something like Command Track

[video=youtube;yxHQeO-Y7GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHQeO-Y7GU[/video]
Yeh but how is that thing on Highway?

Of course, to each their own. The majority of cars sold these days will never see truly offroad conditions.
Sadly though, some of us end up paying for AWD/4x4/4WD/etc. systems thinking they are getting the real deal, when it's clearly not.

I think the Honda reply was good, and this is the best part: "In real conditions a scenario like the roll test with such a high difference in grip between the front and the rear wheels is highly unlikely."

What do you expect? It is a CRV. Or a Sienna AWD. Their systems are better than nothing, but the traction is not close to a real off-road system.

Back
Top Bottom