Looks like free downtown parking is finished | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looks like free downtown parking is finished

Sucks to see how a smaller city like Montreal is so much more logical in planning their street parking and public transit.

In Montreal you have to punch in plate number and pay as much as car. This seems punitive.

In Montreal you have to punch in plate number and pay as much as car. This seems punitive.
Actually the way it works (if youre not using any app whatsoever) is there are parking identifiers ie. B11, B12, B13, ETC. You enter that number at the pay station, and pay for that spot.

If you use the smartphone app, i dont think theres any place where you enter your plate number as per
https://pservicemobile.ca/pub/3/site/scsm/psp/scsm-www/page/commentEN

But then you can refill from whereever you are when you get an alert telling you your time is gonna be up.

So not any better for your motorcycle really... except that theres no parking validation ticket, its all electronic.

Welcome to John Tory's Toronto. Get ready to pay more for everything. Bike parking wasn't always free. I had mine towed twice 30 years ago, had to pick it up from Cherry St. After that I never went back to T.O. with my bike.

I have never been to a city where every single solitary inch of land is used up to the point where you can't park a motorcycle until I went to Toronto. Talk about Greed City.

Welcome to John Tory's Toronto. Get ready to pay more for everything. Bike parking wasn't always free. I had mine towed twice 30 years ago, had to pick it up from Cherry St. After that I never went back to T.O. with my bike.

I have never been to a city where every single solitary inch of land is used up to the point where you can't park a motorcycle until I went to Toronto. Talk about Greed City.

That's "Rob Ford's Toronto." Tory isn't sworn in until December 2nd.

Oh, well it should be easy to get changed then. But srsly, I doubt this was Ford's idea.

You can't blame one and then give the other a pass, just because it suits your political agenda.

If anyone was to blame it would be council, on which the mayor only has a single vote. In this case, though, it's actually bureaucrats who are, as Face put it, 'going rogue.'

That's a good idea, but here's the problem: Toronto is full of angry people, mostly from Etobicoke and Scarborough, who don't want to pay anything and vote for people who plan to run a city on fairy dust.

Promote motorcycling!? that's leftard liberal communism, and a slippery slope to forcing us all to ride bicycles: read the Sun, they tell the TRUTH (all caps).

So, instead, you nickel and dime the taxpayer in small amounts that add up to huge amounts, but that's ok, because old people in Etobicoke can't do math anyway.

This tech is not about the price now, but how easy it will be to increase the price later with a few keystrokes on a server.

It's not about not wanting to pay, I think it's more to do with getting return for your tax dollars. Miss-allocation of funds.

Actually the way it works (if youre not using any app whatsoever) is there are parking identifiers ie. B11, B12, B13, ETC. You enter that number at the pay station, and pay for that spot.

If you use the smartphone app, i dont think theres any place where you enter your plate number as per
https://pservicemobile.ca/pub/3/site/scsm/psp/scsm-www/page/commentEN

But then you can refill from whereever you are when you get an alert telling you your time is gonna be up.

So not any better for your motorcycle really... except that theres no parking validation ticket, its all electronic.

I've been to a few cities in EU that would have parking rates based on Zones, then spots. Didn't need data, just sent an SMS message and it added the charge to your phone bill.

City's infrastructure is about as stable as wet paper towel. There's gonna be a lot of change to generate the money needed to fix the city infrastructure, otherwise, every road will lead AROUND Toronto. (might not be a bad thing...)

Parking is free for scooters/motos in the "zone" from the edge of the last parking spot indicator on the ground, to close to the edge of a cross walk. Usually about 3-4' of parkable space, perpendicular to the flow of traffic unless indicated by signs.

City's infrastructure is about as stable as wet paper towel. There's gonna be a lot of change to generate the money needed to fix the city infrastructure, otherwise, every road will lead AROUND Toronto. (might not be a bad thing...)

The best roads lead around it already. Every time you turn around it's another scam or rip off in the gta. While I miss city life sometimes, I'm glad I don't live in Toronto. What's next? A tax for breathing in public?

the OP video said the city expects to get $250,000/yr in revenue from this...chump change.

I wonder how long it will take to recoup the cost of implementation...
Not to mention the increase in cars on the road and decrease in new riders, so now there will be more traffic and fewer parking spaces downtown. What a great idea :lmao:

Next is the bedroom tax. Go upstairs with the wife pay a tax. Scanner on the door frame to get in

Toronto is really failing. Becoming an ugly, soulless city. It's already architecturally defunct, lacking attractions, entertainment, public spaces, waterfront, proper transit system. Now everyone that lives there or wants to visit gets punished. Extra taxes here and there, fees, levies - keep 'em coming. Gonna end up like Detroit eventually.

Oh, well it should be easy to get changed then. But srsly, I doubt this was Ford's idea.

It wasn't even on Rob Ford's radar. Lefty councilor Wong-Tam started the ball rolling, she has a real hate-on for motorcycles.

Toronto is really failing. Becoming an ugly, soulless city. It's already architecturally defunct, lacking attractions, entertainment, public spaces, waterfront, proper transit system. Now everyone that lives there or wants to visit gets punished. Extra taxes here and there, fees, levies - keep 'em coming. Gonna end up like Detroit eventually.

It is failing. The mayoral election was critical. The last two mayors were useless (David Miller 2003-2010 and Rob Ford 2010-2014). The city is like 20 - 30 years behind, in several areas, including the subway.

The city wants to make extra money to build infrastructure, but they don't want to raise taxes. Where is the money going to come from? Parking fees. Fines. Speed traps. Permits. More bureaucracy, and more fees. And cutting services. EDIT: And brilliant ideas like mobile apps for parking...

Baby steps. First we go through our Buffalo phase, then Detroit.

Mmh, I do not own a cell phone at all. I gave it up a while back. Now what for me?

You and others should try file a free claim at the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and say it's discrimination against socioeconomic status.
This seems wrong that you HAVE to have a cellphone to pay for parking on PUBLIC streets.

worth a shot, cost you nothing

It wasn't even on Rob Ford's radar. Lefty councilor Wong-Tam started the ball rolling, she has a real hate-on for motorcycles.

Yup, the councillor who thinks that permitting free on-street parking, for motorcycles, promotes riders parking illegally on the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom