Looks like free downtown parking is finished | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looks like free downtown parking is finished

So I am obligated to have a phone and a credit card or i am not allowed to park?

I thought staff said they had not made any decisions yet, how are these clowns making the announcement?

Last edited:
You can always default to pay for a parking slip but it's up to you to secure it on your bike.

So I am obligated to have a phone and a credit card or i am not allowed to park?

I thought staff said they had not make any decisions yet, how are these clowns making the announcement?

Not only that, you need a data plan O_O

I think they are putting keyboards on the pay machines so that you can enter license plate number.
Paying is not a problem, how much and for what is not clear.
If motorcycle is expected to pay same as a car but take 1/3 of the space that will be an issue.
Either way I am sure that technology implemented will cost many times over any potential increased revenue...

They still need to pass a by-law to do this. That is a public process, so it was inappropriate for City Staff to speak on camera implying it is a forgone conclusion.

See the Sticky Thread to stay on top of this.

The keypad machines are for all motorists. They would make the parking slips non-transferable, you won't be able to give your slip with time left on it to another car. The city is trying to plug up every loophole. The only way bikes would be able to pay less for less space is if every machine was linked to the MTO licensing database. Somehow I doubt that will be the case.

The keypad machines are for all motorists. They would make the parking slips non-transferable, you won't be able to give your slip with time left on it to another car. The city is trying to plug up every loophole. The only way bikes would be able to pay less for less space is if every machine was linked to the MTO licensing database. Somehow I doubt that will be the case.
They could still apply different charges to cars and bikes. If drivers tried to scam the system by claiming the bike rate, they could be nabbed by parking cops the same way anyone would be nabbed for failing to pay. Some would get away with it, but those who are caught would get hit with a fine.

Either way I am sure that technology implemented will cost many times over any potential increased revenue...

the OP video said the city expects to get $250,000/yr in revenue from this...chump change.

I will be disappointed if this falls through as I feel a perk for promoting more motorcycle transit was the free parking. Now they want to get rid of it lol.
Instead of encouraging more people to ride a motorcycle, ie less congestion better mpg than most cars, lets start charging them parking instead.

As for how to inforce it and a paying strategy, the city is going to spend thousands of dollars upgrading all the pay stations.
Even though I am not for this, why doesn't the city talk with the Provincial government to implement a small sticker for the license plates of motorcyclists for parking.
When you go to renew your plate sticker you can have the option of paying for a small parking sticker to put on your plate for parking anywhere in the city. They could charge maybe $100 a year or something.
Not sure if that would work but to me seems like a much better idea. Honestly they should just keep it free and induce more people to ride than drive their cars.

Besides most of us really ride only 6months. Is the cost of upgrading and implementing a new strategy really going to see that much of a profit for the city? I don't know

Last edited:
Im not sure how much credibility we should provide to the news report but it seems like there has been at least one change:

They are going to retrofit existing meters to accept plate input? I think that that is new - were they not expecting to have to buy new kiosks for pay by plate? I thought that that was the entire jist for the designated locations - ie, so they wouldnt have to replace all of the meters across the city.

I will be disappointed if this falls through as I feel a perk for promoting more motorcycle transit was the free parking. Now they want to get rid of it lol.
Instead of encouraging more people to ride a motorcycle, ie less congestion better mpg than most cars, lets start charging them parking instead.

As for how to inforce it and a paying strategy, the city is going to spend thousands of dollars upgrading all the pay stations.
Even though I am not for this, why doesn't the city talk with the Provincial government to implement a small sticker for the license plates of motorcyclists for parking.
When you go to renew your plate sticker you can have the option of paying for a small parking sticker to put on your plate for parking anywhere in the city. They could charge maybe $100 a year or something.
Not sure if that would work but to me seems like a much better idea. Honestly they should just keep it free and induce more people to ride than drive their cars.

Besides most of us really ride only 6months. Is the cost of upgrading and implementing a new strategy really going to see that much of a profit for the city? I don't know

That's a good idea, but here's the problem: Toronto is full of angry people, mostly from Etobicoke and Scarborough, who don't want to pay anything and vote for people who plan to run a city on fairy dust.

Promote motorcycling!? that's leftard liberal communism, and a slippery slope to forcing us all to ride bicycles: read the Sun, they tell the TRUTH (all caps).

So, instead, you nickel and dime the taxpayer in small amounts that add up to huge amounts, but that's ok, because old people in Etobicoke can't do math anyway.

This tech is not about the price now, but how easy it will be to increase the price later with a few keystrokes on a server.

the OP video said the city expects to get $250,000/yr in revenue from this...chump change.

Knowing the special Toronto Math used by city council, we will have paid a consulting firm 5 million, the equipment supplier 20 million and a third company another 10 million to maintain the system. All three will go bankrupt shortly and leave the Meg-assity holding the bag....again.

I have seen the future and it's all nickles and dimes.

Knowing the special Toronto Math used by city council, we will have paid a consulting firm 5 million, the equipment supplier 20 million and a third company another 10 million to maintain the system. All three will go bankrupt shortly and leave the Meg-assity holding the bag....again.

I have seen the future and it's all nickles and dimes.

Sucks to see how a smaller city like Montreal is so much more logical in planning their street parking and public transit.

Mmh, I do not own a cell phone at all. I gave it up a while back. Now what for me?

And my cell phone is a simple one, not a 'smart phone', so this "Green P App" isn't something that I'll be able to use. I don't want a smart phone. I don't want a phone that can barely hold a charge for a day.

How? This summer I had to punch in my plate number and pay the same as a car to park my bike.

Back
Top Bottom