Motorcycle Won't start! Please watch Video! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Won't start! Please watch Video!

The battery for sure. Not cranking very fast even at the beginning of the vid. Get yourself a VOM (multi meter) and check the voltage. It should be at least 12.7 volts and when the bike is running it should read around 14 volts if it is charging properly. It may just need to be charged or it may be on it's way out

The battery for sure. Not cranking very fast even at the beginning of the vid. Get yourself a VOM (multi meter) and check the voltage. It should be at least 12.7 volts and when the bike is running it should read around 14 volts if it is charging properly. It may just need to be charged or it may be on it's way out
Thanks! I was going to pick up a volt/multimeter today just didn't have the time
I may just get a new battery though

Get that multimeter, too, and check that the voltage across the battery terminals is 14.something with the engine running. If you don't do that, and the real problem is that your charging system isn't, the new battery will not live long.

Get that multimeter, too, and check that the voltage across the battery terminals is 14.something with the engine running. If you don't do that, and the real problem is that your charging system isn't, the new battery will not live long.
Okay so I'll just use the multimeter with the bike on. Then use the multimeter after bump starting it and it's idling. Correct?

Check voltage at battery terminals with key off, with bike running at idle and with bike revved to ~5K rpm. Report #'s

Check voltage at battery terminals with key off, with bike running at idle and with bike revved to ~5K rpm. Report #'s
Just picked up this multimeter. Before I open in I just want to know if it's gunna be able to do the job.

9f8fd4983a8811175cc706387e97b247.jpg

It only has to be accurate to one tenth of a volt to check batteries. You can get by with cheap meters if you can test them against something.

"Key off" voltage is low. Too low to start the bike. Try fully charging the battery then retest.

10A is not a trickle charge and way to high for a bike battery you should be under 2A charging a bike. What is the voltage 2 hrs after removing the charger?

10A is not a trickle charge and way to high for a bike battery you should be under 2A charging a bike. What is the voltage 2 hrs after removing the charger?
I may have typed down the wrong details cause a buddy of mine set it up for me. (He knows what he's doing) but it was 12.80

Back
Top Bottom