New Dealer | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Dealer

bobbyh

So I spoke with the Serpa folks yesterday and they called to say they're no longer a BMW motorad dealer. Apparently they have sold that division to Maranello ( sorry for spelling) BMW and are moving into the old Kahuna building early next year. They also plan to sell Ducati's from the same location. Wow, I need to get out more!

Strange... when I was there in the summer they were talking about the expansion plans, which included the Motorrad division.

Do you know which old Kahuna building they are moving into?

I'm surprised that BMW is allowing another line to be sold along side them; didn't they create a stink when BMW Toronto brought in Aprilia and Moto Guzzi?

FWIW, BMW and Ducati share a dealer in Vancouver. (Just motorcycles though)

The BMW/Piaggio relationship was an interesting one. It went as quickly as it came. I'd love to hear the politics behind that one.

They're going to the steeles and weston rd location. I thought that the rep said that mothership in Germany planned on separating the motorads from the car dealers for some reason. That would be a challenge for some I suppose. I personally wouldn't mind because the car staff you deal with always seem to look down their nose at us dirty bikers. We'll see soon enough.

They're going to the steeles and weston rd location. I thought that the rep said that mothership in Germany planned on separating the motorads from the car dealers for some reason. That would be a challenge for some I suppose. I personally wouldn't mind because the car staff you deal with always seem to look down their nose at us dirty bikers. We'll see soon enough.

But Ferri (Maranello) is a BMW car dealer...and a Ducati dealer. Knowing Ferri, he just took the BMW Motoraad dealership.

Is there any indication on what other makes they will service and sell. Good to see another dealer open up where Kahuna was located.

Here's the reply I got when I asked on Serpa Motorrad's Facebook page...

"...here's the story: In the interests of serving motorcycle enthusiasts even better, BMW Canada has decided to consolidate BMW Motorrad into few free standing units separate from auto dealerships. Accordingly, Serpa BMW will be saying goodbye to its Motorrad division. Our involvement with the BMW motorcycle community, the ‘Motorradicals’ has been a very rewarding experience since we acquired and renamed the dealership in 2012. We will miss the beautiful shiny motorcycles and the people who were dedicated to riding them. We wish the new BMW Motorrad dealership on Steeles Ave., which will now include other brands, too, a great deal of success. We hope you visit the new facility very soon. With our Miguel Betz in charge, and the staff moving there we know it’ll be a great place to buy and service BMW motorcycles."

I notice that they said "...will include other brands". I wonder if they'll be picking up the brands that were left behind by Kahuna/Ride???

That would be good news if they sell and service some of the brands that Kahuna used to deal with. Any idea on when the dealership plans to open?

I was in the old Kahuna location several months ago. Spoke to the Gentleman there. In the background were 2 Lamborghini race cars. Mentioned to him that I understood this was going to be a Ducati Dealership. His comment was yes, not until Next year. Did not mention if any other bikes would be represented.

Time will tell.

I'm buying a new BMW bike by the end of the month. I'd been talking with Serpa over the summer and am surprised to hear.

When will they be moving out of Serpa and into the new location?

Don't normally find this many changes in a major brand dealership in a two year span. First they were Open Road, now Serpa, and will be Serpa without the mottorad division. I assume the name change also signified new owners. Changes are usually made when the factory is not happy about something, maybe their sales volume of both cars and bikes is lower than what BMW expects? But Newmarket has strong housing growth, but maybe the young families moving in and who often need to rely on 2 cars, can't yet afford that luxury brand?

The bike brand really does not fit in with car dealerships as it becomes the orphan child that gets neglected. Suzuki, Honda and others have also tried to combine the products, but they are as different as night and day. In the U.S. BMW Mottorad there is sold through both the auto dealerships and through bike only dealerships of mixed competitor brands. Don't see that we are much different, ie. you've got to move product any way you can. For example Wolf BMW in London only sells bikes, and is much more willing to deal on price/accessories than the full product line of the snooty GTA auto dealers.

I just got this email from Serpa:

In the interests of serving motorcycle enthusiasts even better, BMW Canada has decided to consolidate BMW Motorrad into free-standing units separate from auto dealerships. We congratulate the new BMW Motorrad organization and are sure it will be a great success.

Our involvement with the BMW motorcycle community, the ‘Motorradicals,’ has been a very rewarding experience since we acquired and renamed the dealership in 2012. We will miss the beautiful shiny motorcycles and the people who were dedicated to riding them.

With our Miguel Betz in charge, we know the new facility will be a great place to buy and service BMW and other motorcycle brands. Thank you for your support of Serpa BMW.

This sounds like all BMW Motorrad divisions are separating from the car dealerships... wonder if the same is happening anywhere else - like Budd's or Downtown Toronto?

I have a potentially dumb question: The Kahuna dealership was a Ferrari dealership, back in the day. It never occured to me that Remo Ferri continued to own the building and was merely leasing it to Kahuna. Can anyone confirm this is actually the case?

Is there any indication on what other makes they will service and sell. Good to see another dealer open up where Kahuna was located.

So far the plans are to sell only BMW and Ducati.
The main floor will be for bikes and the second floor ....an accessory boutique with beverages (coffee or something).
They will be taking in bikes for winter storage (at the old Kuhana location on steeles) in 1 weeks time.
They plan to open the showroom in early January 2015 with service to follow in late feburary 2015.
The motorcycle staff from Serpa BMW (service) are on lay off at the moment but I was told that
all the former Serpa mechanics, service reps and sales staff will be employed at this new dealership
even though the ownership is now Maranello's.
The former management at Serpa have nothing to do with this new dealership.
Serpa BMW will continue to sell motorcyle parts till November 31, 2014....as long as the part in in stock at the local BMW parts depot.

Last edited:
I have a potentially dumb question: The Kahuna dealership was a Ferrari dealership, back in the day. It never occured to me that Remo Ferri continued to own the building and was merely leasing it to Kahuna. Can anyone confirm this is actually the case?

Maranello Ferrari owns the building and yes, Kahuna was merely leasing the building.

Hello to all, in order to clarify this situation I would like to explain the following :
1) Serpa BMW decided together with BMW Canada to close the Motorrad division and become a M class certified dealer, the existing building did not comply with Motorrad standards even with a refurbishing.
2) The old Kahuna building in 5243 Steeles Av West has always belonged to Remo Ferri Group, it was rented to Kahuna.
3) BMW Canada was looking for a stand alone Motorrad dealership for the GTA and the Steels Av location its great for this.
4) The new dealer name is Maranello Moto Sport and will be a BMW and Ducati dealer, its now under renovations to comply with both brands image and standards, will be full operational by end of February 2015, sales staff and techs from Serpa will be at this new location.
5) Its extremely common to have BMW Motorrad together with other premium brands under one roof. Having a sole BMW dealer is only feasible if the market is big enough, unfortunately Canada its not the case.
Hope this helps out.
Regards,

Hello to all, in order to clarify this situation I would like to explain the following :
1) Serpa BMW decided together with BMW Canada to close the Motorrad division and become a M class certified dealer, the existing building did not comply with Motorrad standards even with a refurbishing.
2) The old Kahuna building in 5243 Steeles Av West has always belonged to Remo Ferri Group, it was rented to Kahuna.
3) BMW Canada was looking for a stand alone Motorrad dealership for the GTA and the Steels Av location its great for this.
4) The new dealer name is Maranello Moto Sport and will be a BMW and Ducati dealer, its now under renovations to comply with both brands image and standards, will be full operational by end of February 2015, sales staff and techs from Serpa will be at this new location.
5) Its extremely common to have BMW Motorrad together with other premium brands under one roof. Having a sole BMW dealer is only feasible if the market is big enough, unfortunately Canada its not the case.
Hope this helps out.
Regards,

Nice. Thanks for the info and clarification.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know if the new dealer will be servicing all makes of bikes. Or just a BMW - Ducati dealer - service center?

Strange... when I was there in the summer they were talking about the expansion plans, which included the Motorrad division.

Of course it included them but they didn't know it was the car division that would be expanding into the motorrad division's space, so yes, they were part of the plan. Great move for the cars which are selling like crazy and will be very profitable for Serpa.

Back
Top Bottom