Virgin Galactic crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Virgin Galactic crash

SunnY S

Site Supporter
found the video quite interesting on how it all works.

apparently it came apart during "feathering", when the aircraft re enters the earths atmosphere and the wings tilt somewhat as seen in the test flight vid from 2011.

interesting in the comments from 3 years ago that some remarked how unstable and dangerous it looked.

[video=youtube;Er9-sTDhJ58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er9-sTDhJ58[/video]

Will the next one be called Virgin Galactic or is that a one shot deal?

There is a crash video. My condolences to dead pilot's family, and hope the 2nd pilot recovers.

To those who think it's unsafe - guess what, space flight is not a safe venture - very comparable to people complaining that motorcycle riding is dangerous.

As RB said in the interview - they are pushing the envelope, there is going to be losses along the way.

Very sad. RIP.

Will the next one be called Virgin Galactic or is that a one shot deal?

Well the first time ended violently

I'm going with Gomeshi Galactic

you would think they put in a pilot ejection system or parachutes for pilots??? why dont they?

What do you think would happen if you were to eject well in excess of supersonic speed into the surrounding atmosphere??

Hint: BAD. At those kinds of speeds, you are along for the ride.

What do you think would happen if you were to eject at an altitude of above 30,000 feet or so?? (Max survival altitude is actually rather less than this, but I will grant it on the grounds that you can likely survive a couple of minutes of being blacked out while you fall into more survivable air density)

Hint: BAD. Not much air to breathe up there. Enough for the supersonic speed to be bad ... but not enough to breathe. Much higher than that, and the supersonic speed becomes a non-issue, because you're not surviving.

Latest information on the web points to it being co-pilot error that caused the crash...

What do you think would happen if you were to eject well in excess of supersonic speed into the surrounding atmosphere??

Hint: BAD. At those kinds of speeds, you are along for the ride.

What do you think would happen if you were to eject at an altitude of above 30,000 feet or so?? (Max survival altitude is actually rather less than this, but I will grant it on the grounds that you can likely survive a couple of minutes of being blacked out while you fall into more survivable air density)

Hint: BAD. Not much air to breathe up there. Enough for the supersonic speed to be bad ... but not enough to breathe. Much higher than that, and the supersonic speed becomes a non-issue, because you're not surviving.

well guess what... having a parachute gives some chance of surviving, even if the chance is slim. but no parachute. 100% dead. also if the plane breaks apart mid flight. the pilot should still be alive inside the cockpit. i suppose he can wait until the speed of said plane slows down. jump out somehow.

but this is purely theoretical

well guess what... having a parachute gives some chance of surviving, even if the chance is slim. but no parachute. 100% dead. also if the plane breaks apart mid flight. the pilot should still be alive inside the cockpit. i suppose he can wait until the speed of said plane slows down. jump out somehow.

but this is purely theoretical

Sure yea cause you know who the your input and suggestions of a person completely uneducated on the mater the Aerospace engineers who work for TSC. Perhaps you could right them a letter.

btw if you would read the story..

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...chute-from-50000-feet-without-an-oxygen-mask/

[h=1]Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo’s surviving pilot managed to parachute from 50,000 feet without an oxygen mask[/h]

The reports I have read said the pilot did not use the ejection pod, but became separated from the aircraft at 50,000 feet and survived (do they carry oxygen in the seat?).

There is a video from inside the cockpit showing the copilot unlock the feathering device 6 seconds before breakup. They still don't know why it actually deployed (the copilot only unlocked it, there should have been a second action required to deploy, possibly aerodynamic forces went wrong)

Sure yea cause you know who the your input and suggestions of a person completely uneducated on the mater the Aerospace engineers who work for TSC. Perhaps you could right them a letter.

btw if you would read the story..

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...chute-from-50000-feet-without-an-oxygen-mask/

Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo’s surviving pilot managed to parachute from 50,000 feet without an oxygen mask

well at first i was only going with limited info. someone said pilot died. then another poster said it's suicide to eject at high altitudes. now seeing the link you posted. it's come to light that there was in fact an ejection system and a pilot did parachute at 50,000 ft and survived. which confirms what i was saying earlier.

i don't need to "right" them in the matter. seems like they already got it covered.

Back
Top Bottom