New R1 for 2015 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New R1 for 2015

200hp is fun.
100 hp is fun. Insurance needs to drop substantially. They're killing the industry more than any other reason here.

Make it so noobs can't jump on a 1000. Tiered license like other places. slower delivery of Darin awards and a break on insurance if you don't ride like a jackass

I never paid more than 120$ month for insurance so meh.. All good

Because the industry is killing its customers.
That's the problem when the industry's only marketing tool is horsepower and speed, and they refuse to change after 30 years of doing this. So now, we're at 200hp and what's next? 210hp.
Not a sustaining business model when bikes are no longer sold because they are fun.

True to a degree. I blame motorcycle mags that stupidly call a 500-600cc motorcycle a good "entry level" bike. They also glamorize speed and agility while casting dispersion on softer more comfortable suspensions that sacrifice handling for practicality. Still, motorcycle fatalities are lower than ever, riders are safer according to stats, yet the insurance industry continues to rip people off.

Make it so noobs can't jump on a 1000. Tiered license like other places. slower delivery of Darin awards and a break on insurance if you don't ride like a jackass

+1 IMO Tiered licensing seems like a great idea.

Then again, we live with Generation "Now". And if they can't have "what they want, when they want it", no alternative is ever going to get a fair shake. Sad.

True to a degree. I blame motorcycle mags that stupidly call a 500-600cc motorcycle a good "entry level" bike. They also glamorize speed and agility while casting dispersion on softer more comfortable suspensions that sacrifice handling for practicality. Still, motorcycle fatalities are lower than ever, riders are safer according to stats, yet the insurance industry continues to rip people off.

Well, no. Insurance doesn't care about fatalities, they are zero cost. The big costs are guys who finance sport bikes, have to carry full insurance, then make massive claims when they crash, and get out of motorcycling ("never been dropped, price includes leathers and helmets"). Those costs have to be subsidized by the other, active riders. This doesn't happen in cars, because few people give up driving after a pricey crash.

Manufacturers know all this, which is why they never design sports bikes with any integrated skid or crash protection, just large pieces of pricey plastic and engine covers.

Of course graded licenses make sense, which is why most of the World does this, but in Ontario's corrupt government, the current system makes more money for insurance companies, all of which pay big money to all three parties.

Noobs can't afford a 1000. We essentially have a tiered system, dictated by insurance companies.
I doubt experience has a huge effect on sports bike crashes, as many insurers don't reduce premiums for experience, just age.

Here's an interesting paper ( I collect this stuff). This is US.

In 2007, motorcycle fatalities accounted for 13% of total traffic fatalities and 14% of all occupant fatalities [NHTSA, 2008]. In addition, one out of four motorcycle riders
(a full 25%) in fatal crashes in 2007 were operating their vehicle with an invalid license

Of all fatal motorcycle crashes, about 30% occurred on grade/hill roadways. In addition, the data shows that more fatalities (about 50.3%) occurred on rural roads in 2001-2007, reversing a trend that existed in the early 1990s (about 44.7% fatalities occurred on rural roads in 1990-1995).

the fatal rate for Sport motorcycles is 3 times greater than the fatal rates for other types. Figure 4 shows significant differences in driver and environmental factors among
these motorcycle types. Sport motorcycles have a higher percentage of young male riders (ages 16-25), a higher percentage of risky driver behaviour2, and a higher percentage of high speed (travel speed = 65+ mph) crashes.

There were also significant differences in fatal rates among different engine sizes for the Sport motorcycles (Figure 5). Sport motorcycles with engine sizes 750 cc or greater had significantly higher rates compared to Sport motorcycles with engine sizes less than 750 cc. [by significant, they mean 300% higher, not statistical significance]

about 46% of fatally injured riders of Sport motorcycles with small engines (engine sizes less than 750 cc) were young males. The lower fatal rate for young males(Figure 5) could be due to the survivability of young riders in a severe crash despite their aggressive driving behaviour.[ only 17% of riders survive severe crashes on litre bikes)

FARS data for the years 2000-2007 shows that about 30% of fatally injured riders were alcohol impaired,

...and about 44% of fatally injured riders were not wearing helmets [because America]

Of all fatal crashes, about 40% were run off road crashes; of all single-vehicle fatal crashes, about 80% were run off road crashes. This type of crash is associated with young male riders, night/dark hours (8 P.M.-8 A.M.), and higher speeds (55 mph or greater).
[ these numbers are identical in Canada and the UK]

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...hyxYMGckR4tMDHaNQ&sig2=6myeQ8FUbJqRjWlDc39WWg

So, this is where I have issues with the "anti-cagers" and "Loud Pipes save lives" crowd. The reality is the biggest risks to a rider on the road are the personality of the rider and the ability of the bike to go faster. Most of these crashes are guys going too fast, or not in control. No one to blame but the riders, and the bikes.

So, this is where I have issues with the "anti-cagers" and "Loud Pipes save lives" crowd. The reality is the biggest risks to a rider on the road are the personality of the rider and the ability of the bike to go faster. Most of these crashes are guys going too fast, or not in control. No one to blame but the riders, and the bikes.

I did a lot of in-depth research into this in 1985. This is a good study, but it makes some errors in correlation that have already been dispelled by other studies, like this:
http://www.envplan.com/abstract.cgi?id=c010193

You only have to take an unbiased look at the numbers to see that risk-prone personalties are the biggest factor, and those people are more likely to ride fast and foolishly, ride without a helmet, take corners too fast and run off the road, and buy motorcycles engineered far and above their abilities. In the end, you can pass all the safety legislation you want, but there's no keeping a risk-taker from his fate - if he doesn't do it on a motorcycle he'll do it some other way.

With the possible exception of Kawasaki, January Supershow is not the new-bike show.

It's not even a super show when you get right down to it. It's in January, I'll give it that.

so...?

5 pages and no one is yet to put money down on this??

Who cares what it looks like. I would like to throw a leg over it, ride the crap out of it and give a verdict when I'm done.
I actually do like the black version.

I actually don't like all the electronics. 1/2 decent riders will buy these, ride like a pro, then crash on an older liter bike with no electronic controls because they lack the ability to control the bike without the electronic help.

These new 200 hspr bikes should raise our insurance rates. Newbs will buy these and crash, without doubt.

Who cares what it looks like. I would like to throw a leg over it, ride the crap out of it and give a verdict when I'm done.
I actually do like the black version.

I actually don't like all the electronics. 1/2 decent riders will buy these, ride like a pro, then crash on an older liter bike with no electronic controls because they lack the ability to control the bike without the electronic help.

These new 200 hspr bikes should raise our insurance rates. Newbs will buy these and crash, without doubt.

I am waiting for the reverse camera and lane avoidance warning along with the cruise control option.
Oh, and headlights that turn with the corner also.
Oh, and make it automatic.

I am waiting for the reverse camera and lane avoidance warning along with the cruise control option.
Oh, and headlights that turn with the corner also.
Oh, and make it automatic.

What? no coffee cup warmer? what are we, peasants?

The electronics package isn't necessarily directed towards street riders. It will however influence riders/teams decision on what bike they'll race. It doesn't make much of a difference here where street squidology rules but overseas where the SS grids are full of s10000's/zx10's/and 1199's it will probably convince the street guys that it's worthy of their skillz and they sell more bikes over there than here.

Some real world pictures. This bike looks fantastic! Those headlights have really grown on me!

2015-Yamaha-R1-R1M-Specs-05-770x513.jpg

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R1M-up-close-Alicia-Mariah-Elfving-06.jpg

2015-yamaha-r1-rosso-bianco-4.jpg

yamaha-ups-ante-new-yzf-r1-and-r1m-734435.jpg

yamaha-r1-2015-rossi-1.jpg

dsc00306.jpg

Yay, one less bike people can install ****** HID's on.

Back
Top Bottom