New R1 for 2015 | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New R1 for 2015

Hell, my bike is now a lost generation. The new one is up 21hp on mine and has a host of new features. Waiting on a test to see how it does but it doesn't much matter to me, I bought mine as a long-term bike and won't be upgrading (he says, so sure of himself).

Maybe I'm not clear enough, though... I'm saying that the hype says this bike is a big step up from any other bike on the market. And I just can't see it, anywhere. It's not more powerful, it's not lighter, it's not cheaper, and if it's any more sophisticated at all, that sophistication both very marginal and late to the party. Will it handle better than anyone else's bike? I duno, it's a long, long way until they get all the bikes together around... say... August?

I have read three very detailed reviews and must say that all were stating that this is the most sophisticated production bike Yamaha has ever made. Hard to argue with that, but i have not read that it was a step above something like s1000rr, Panigale or ZX-10r ... It's different.

One reviewer said the lack of bottom end torque was evident, there's not much power under 5k ... Evidence of this machine being racer tool first. He also mentioned it spins up as fast as 450 motocross bike ... True or false, who knows.

I've read at least three reviews that said it will set the new benchmark. And ... well, I just don't see it. Which I think is a point made, by now. But, I haven't tried it and it hasn't been ridden in anything but isolation, yet. It's unquestionably Yamaha's most sophisticated bike, I don't think anyone would argue that.

As for spinning up like a 450 motocross bike... well, I have one of those and I don't see it spinning up a whole lot faster than some of my other bikes, most especially the track bikes. The 1000 will peg 10K rpm in an eyeblink, and I left the counter-balancer in the new motor. The 450 is definitely brutal but... I don't see that statement as being... impressive? A journalist said that the 2005 GSX-R 1000 spun up "like a F1 engine," and that was almost 11 years ago. I'm literally shrugging my shoulders here. Hype is hype.

The bottom end of my RSV4 isn't all that great either, although 4500 rpm isn't too bad. I don't really worry about that, although it was kinda nice how my old GSX-Rs would pull from a stop sign with the throttle closed, if you wanted. Even the street GSX-R with the head work was good that way. Part of why they became kind of boring, though...

That's interesting lol, I just edited my post right before you posted this we seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum.

I bet it would sound great with a new exhaust system though. Would love to hear how a Toce would sound on this thing.

Oh and I bet it would be the coolest looking exhaust too! Somthing like this....

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

The sound being off is probably just from how it was recorded. I heard a clip from the graves guys and it sounded similar to the old bike.

Well, here we go - with Akrapovic exhaust. I think it sounds awful; especially at idle.

[video=youtube;Am6UI5VaQr4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am6UI5VaQr4[/video]

Compare to the previous gen R1 which sounds infinitely better in the vid.

[video=youtube;-fvPdbbmGjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fvPdbbmGjc[/video]

Hard to compare a single shorty race can to a longer exhaust with two full size mufflers on it. The full ones are always gonna sound better. The short one lets too much of the raspiness through... just the way it is. It needs more volume hidden somewhere to sound good.

Eh, they both sound OK to me. I do like the sound of the old crossplane through some carbon pipes. One of the only things I really do like about that model, I admit.

That exhaust sounds like an EX500 or Ninja 250 ...

No kidding, or F800 basically any paralel twin with aftermarket mufflers.... But I have to say that guy with black R1 who did some rides with us in previous years, the sound was just fantastic, not sure wgat pipes he had on the crossplane R1 of his.

Would anyone like to guess what a good OTD price would be on a 2015 R1. MSRP is 19000 + 250PDI + 275Frieght =19525 + HST = $22,063
Could I get any cash off this price or are these bikes just jumping off the showroom floor?? And who would you deal with for Yamaha Sales??

Would anyone like to guess what a good OTD price would be on a 2015 R1. MSRP is 19000 + 250PDI + 275Frieght =19525 + HST = $22,063
Could I get any cash off this price or are these bikes just jumping off the showroom floor?? And who would you deal with for Yamaha Sales??

Doubtful you'll get any deals for a while.

I've read at least three reviews that said it will set the new benchmark.

All new reviews from the media say that, if you don't say that, you don't get invited to southern Europe for the next press release.

Technically, maybe it is sophisticated (code for expensive when stuff breaks), but it is the ugliest of the R1s, they seem to get worse with every generation.

Didn't see this posted yet. MCN review.
[video=youtube;xPq2FJZ_6NI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPq2FJZ_6NI[/video]

Catfish.

Nope. Star trek

WorfTNG.jpg

I stand corrected.

I've seen it twice in person now and hate it much less than in pics

Haha, that sounds about right. Pics of the new R1 didn't interest me, but it looks a lot better for real. I like that it looks and feels more compact than any previous R1. (The older ones always looked and felt bulky up front.)

Back
Top Bottom