New R1 for 2015 | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New R1 for 2015

VOS motorsports have the new R1 in many colors for around 19 k....just sayin, if some one wants to go get one and show up at timies this spring...

I'm not a fan of electronic suspension control as we see it now. When I set up my bike, geometry and spring rates come first, the "clickers" are the last thing to touch, and all these electronic suspensions are just tinkering with the clickers and won't help the geometry nor the spring rates. Wake me up when something like GM Magneride shows up. Even that can only affect damping, not spring rates and ride height.

DDC and/or Dynamic ESA doesn't come close enough? (Don't think anyone in the general public has tested Dynamic ESA yet)

Haven't tried it. Are Superbike racers using those systems, or are they taking them off and replacing them with something else???

Haven't tried it. Are Superbike racers using those systems, or are they taking them off and replacing them with something else???

Active suspension is usually banned in motorsports, don't know that it is specifically in any motorcycle league

I'll hold off judging until someone other than MCN rates the bikes. ;)

I think the "M" edition looks pretty good.
I think their making that was a dick move. They allocated 100 for Canada which were sold out before anyone even saw it. They had one at the last show. Pricing details etc then buddy says oh but you can't have it they're sold out.

Like it or not, limited-editions are the way for the manufacturers to make money on these nowadays. If the supply is less than the demand, the price can be kept up. The production numbers of the normal 1000cc sportbikes are too small for them to make money by selling them the traditional mass-market "volume, volume, volume" way.

It wouldn't surprise me if Yamaha hasn't sold 100 of the normal R1 of last year's model, and that would have only been with big discounts. People in the market to get something exclusive, aren't interested in buying mass-market run-of-the-mill, and they'll pay more for it. Ducati figured this out years ago.

I know someone who has a R1M on order.

Yeah but even ducati makes more than 100 of something odd. Look at the desmo. You'd actually have a hope of owning that. You'll likely never see one of canadas 100 r1m's for sale ever. I get the idea but they should have made more or not been showing it off at the shows and then saying oh you can't have it.

I was actually checking out the regular r1 in brampton yesterday as they have a few. Nice bike and the front end is growing on me. It looks kind of cool when its all lit up

I'm sure they will make more R1Ms next year...

Just like people are saying, if they sold less than a 100 previous generation R1s last year, then why make a 1000 R1Ms and only sell may be 300...

It's not a dick move if yamaha judges interest in the R1M and makes more next year

The difference is they sold these 100 before they were even seen. I'm just surprised they didn't open up the numbers is all.

Supply less than demand => higher pricing per unit. Better to make money on a few than to lose money on a lot.

The stock exhaust will be replaced by everyone who buys it so don't sweat that.

THIS.

Exhaust and undertail are usually the 1st things to be replaced so who cares what it looks like stock...

Yeah, I commented on that video. :) There's a few videos of that guy on the channel, one of them is riding his RSV4 Factory in jeans... hauling ***, lol (might be on Adey's channel) He's got a pile of bikes... Panigale R, HP4, RSV4F, R1, R1M now at the least.

He's on the blue R1 in this video:

[video=youtube;tNRDJNCT-WQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNRDJNCT-WQ[/video]

Ah, found that video of him riding like a madman (following Adey).

[video=youtube;668AE5ujRUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668AE5ujRUY[/video]

FWIW his quick review on the Aprilia forums of the R1M, when it came in, was that it handles almost identical to his (2010) RSV4 with a good setup but he thinks the electronics work a little better than his friend's 2013 Factory and it is quicker in a straight line. It's also a bit roomier.

Last edited:
FWIW his quick review on the Aprilia forums of the R1M, when it came in, was that it handles almost identical to his (2010) RSV4 with a good setup but he thinks the electronics work a little better than his friend's 2013 Factory and it is quicker in a straight line. It's also a bit roomier.
Sooooooooo are you getting one? ;)

I would consider it next year as my new 1000cc track bike. Mine is not only getting a bit long in the tooth, it's got no safety net to lean on and being strictly a track bike I would sure appreciate that. But at the price, I'd also have to look seriously at the RSV4 RR and the Panigale 1299... both of which have a character which is very different than the inline-4s. Point in favour of the R1 is that the Yamaha dealership is a 15 minute drive whereas Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia, Ducati are all a minimum of an hour's drive - or more. It hasn't really mattered as the only thing I *require* the dealership for is warranty work and valve checks.

FYI I really hate the looks of the R1/M in street legal form. Totally subjective I know, but ... ugh. Track fairings would immediately cure that. ;)

Last edited:
R1's take top 3 spots in COTA qualifying....and one is even in Superstock trim rather than Superbike trim. Gotta be a good bike

Back
Top Bottom