Motorcycle on a trailer? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle on a trailer?

In the scenario you described you better have either collision or comprehensive on the motorcycle depending on what happened in the catastrophic loss (I also assume you are the owner of the car, trailer and the motorcycle)

If you changed the scenario slightly, say you were in a not at fault collision, the motorcycle would be considered contents of the trailer and would be covered under the DCPD section of the policy

If you changed the scenario slightly, say you were in a not at fault collision, the motorcycle would be considered contents of the trailer and would be covered under the DCPD section of the policy

That is incorrect, if the accident was not at fault, the motorcycle would be covered under it's own DCPD if the motorcycle has liability coverage.
If motorcycle has no insurance at all there is no coverage.

You might want to try and sue the 3rd party and their insurance company for compensation on the damages to the bike

Last edited:
How is that possible shouldn't anything be covered in a not at fault ? I can't run into your fence and say sorry it didn't have insurance I don't have to pay.

sent from a device using a program

If you park the trailer somewhere unattached from the towing vehicle and rolls down a hill and hits a car/person/something there is no coverage, unless you have separate coverage on the trailer for liability and physical damage.

I thought all trailers Must have insurance coverage by law!

separate insurance coverage just for the trailer!

I believe insurance defaults to vehicle it's attached to. Insurance for the trailer is for theft.

I thought all trailers Must have insurance coverage by law!

separate insurance coverage just for the trailer!

no... insurance is not required for trailers.

How is that possible shouldn't anything be covered in a not at fault ? I can't run into your fence and say sorry it didn't have insurance I don't have to pay.
I believe we are now going into another topic, what you’re saying above is you run into someone’s car and you didn’t have insurance, first of all, better get a good lawyer, you will be charged driving without insurance, the party that you hit and their insurance company will sue you for compensation and damages.
But to answer your comment, if whatever you hit has it’s own insurance it will be covered under their own policy, if the person has no coverage, how can they be covered, who will he/she call to make a claim?

I thought all trailers Must have insurance coverage by law! separate insurance coverage just for the trailer!
Trailers are automatically covered for liability while attached to a vehicle that has liability coverage. Comprehensive and collision are not covered unless you add those coverage’s.

Example: you’re involved in an accident at fault trailer gets damaged, you don’t have collision coverage on the trailer, you have no coverage for the trailer, you need to add collision on the trailer to be covered.

Last edited:
I believe we are now going into another topic, what you’re saying above is you run into someone’s car and you didn’t have insurance, first of all, better get a good lawyer, you will be charged driving without insurance, the party that you hit and their insurance company will sue you for compensation and damages.
But to answer your comment, if whatever you hit has it’s own insurance it will be covered under their own policy, if the person has no coverage, how can they be covered, who will he/she call to make a claim?

Trailers are automatically covered for liability while attached to a vehicle that has liability coverage. Comprehensive and collision are not covered unless you add those coverage’s.

Example: you’re involved in an accident at fault trailer gets damaged, you don’t have collision coverage on the trailer, you have no coverage for the trailer, you need to add collision on the trailer to be covered.

to add to your example, if you blow a tire on your trailer and it swings to the right and make contact with someone else, your car insurance will cover. No extra insurance needed.

to add to your example, if you blow a tire on your trailer and it swings to the right and make contact with someone else, your car insurance will cover. No extra insurance needed.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, are you saying your car insurance will cover the damage to the trailer or will it cover the person you hit.

If you’re saying it will cover the damage to your own trailer, that is incorrect, the collision portion of you’re vehicle is not transferable to the trailer, you will need to add collision coverage on the trailer.
Please understand only the Liability portion of your vehicle is transferred to the trailer, not comprehensive or collision coverage.

If you’re saying it will cover the damage to the vehicle the person you hit, it’s also incorrect.
The person will have to make a claim under their own policy and maybe their insurance company will subrogate against yours, that’s done behind the scenes no one ever gets to see it.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, are you saying your car insurance will cover the damage to the trailer or will it cover the person you hit.

If you’re saying it will cover the damage to your own trailer, that is incorrect, the collision portion of you’re vehicle is not transferable to the trailer, you will need to add collision coverage on the trailer.
Please understand only the Liability portion of your vehicle is transferred to the trailer, not comprehensive or collision coverage.

If you’re saying it will cover the damage to the vehicle the person you hit, it’s also incorrect.
The person will have to make a claim under their own policy and maybe their insurance company will subrogate against yours, that’s done behind the scenes no one ever gets to see it.

I think splash was trying to say the same thing...one always goes through his/her insurance who in turn claim from the other company depending upon who's at fault..

but this trailer no insurance needed is a great thing! getting tired of paying for all kindsa insurance!:mad:

Just got a trailer and yes it must be insured

Guys, lets clear this up once in for all.

Trailers DO NOT need to have insurance for liability as long as it’s attached to a vehicle that carries insurance, the liability of the auto towing it, is transferred automatically to the trailer.

If you want comprehensive and collision coverage on the trailer, then you need to add coverage.
The collision and comprehensive of the vehicle towing it, is not transferred to the trailer.

However,it is advisable to get full coverage on the trailer.

If you left the trailer parked by itself and some kids started playing with it, or for some bizarre reason the trailer started moving and hit a person/vehicle/etc. There is no liability coverage to protect you for any harm done.

I really hopes this clears things out.

huh? You just repeated what I said... You said I was incorrect then you said "Liability portion of your vehicle is transferred to the trailer".... Make up your mind.

huh? You just repeated what I said... You said I was incorrect then you said "Liability portion of your vehicle is transferred to the trailer".... Make up your mind.

I believe “Splash” and I are trying to say the same thing, however it’s the way I interpreter his first comment, I read it as he is talking as the first person:
He hit someone with his trailer and his car insurance will cover the damage to the 3rd party and that’s why I said it incorrect, it won't

If he means “your car insurance will cover”as the 3rd party insurance will cover if they make a claim, then yes it’s correct.

Just a misunderstanding in how things are worded and how someone can totally interpreter differently

Last edited:
Guys, lets clear this up once in for all.

Trailers DO NOT need to have insurance for liability as long as it’s attached to a vehicle that carries insurance, the liability of the auto towing it, is transferred automatically to the trailer.

If you want comprehensive and collision coverage on the trailer, then you need to add coverage.
The collision and comprehensive of the vehicle towing it, is not transferred to the trailer.

However,it is advisable to get full coverage on the trailer.

If you left the trailer parked by itself and some kids started playing with it, or for some bizarre reason the trailer started moving and hit a person/vehicle/etc. There is no liability coverage to protect you for any harm done.

I really hopes this clears things out.

This post sums it up.

Back
Top Bottom