The Little Person Inside | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Little Person Inside

Great documentary. Actually pretty incredible. Unless I missed it in the video, I'd assume by the last shot that he starts from the pits every race as he needs someone to hold him up?

Great documentary. Actually pretty incredible. Unless I missed it in the video, I'd assume by the last shot that he starts from the pits every race as he needs someone to hold him up?
I think that part was just a regular lapping day.

Couldn't help but think how some people are dealt **** in life and make the best of it, while others are dealt a easy life and piss it all away...

Props to that man

I'm sitting here thinking about the dude how his gf dumped him & broke his collar bone & think the world is upside down. This dude in the video just shrugged it off. He's a fighter all right

that was awesome - thanks for the share. Certainly adds some perspective when I think I'm having a 'bad day'.

I dunno how many of you realize that our very own member, "recidivist", owner of Competition Cycle in Whitby, is very much like the fellow in this documentary.
Crashing his GSXR on a group ride in Muskoka, breaking his back and becoming paralyzed.
While still in hospital recovering, before even undergoing any occupational therapy to learn to live with his new situation, he was online buying repair parts for the GSXR and developing a method to convert that very same bike to be ridable by a paraplegic.
I lost count of the # of laps Dave has on his two "cripple bikes" as he calls them. One was the very same GSXR he was paralyzed on, currently raced by ZX600, and his newer steed, his "Criprilia RSV4", which he last raced at the nationals at Mosport last summer.

These guys don't throw in the towel.

I dunno how many of you realize that our very own member, "recidivist", owner of Competition Cycle in Whitby, is very much like the fellow in this documentary.
and his newer steed, his "Criprilia RSV4", which he last raced at the nationals at Mosport last summer.

9511027989_04e4313642_h.jpg

Well said, what he lacks in legs over compensates is balls. He is the most able 'disable' person I know. Those days when I am lazy to go racing, or I am tired to do another 15 min in endurance, or I am braking earlier than the first brake marker, first thing that comes to mind is him telling me 'stop being a pussy'

Crashing his GSXR on a group ride in Muskoka, breaking his back and becoming paralyzed.
While still in hospital recovering, before even undergoing any occupational therapy to learn to live with his new situation, he was online buying repair parts for the GSXR and developing a method to convert that very same bike to be ridable by a paraplegic.
I lost count of the # of laps Dave has on his two "cripple bikes" as he calls them. One was the very same GSXR he was paralyzed on, currently raced by ZX600, and his newer steed, his "Criprilia RSV4", which he last raced at the nationals at Mosport last summer.

These guys don't throw in the towel.

Awesome video! Crazy how some people look at life after they have a big accident or are born with some kind of disability.

But After reading the post title I was expecting to see something about a midget. So here's some midget action!!!

c15a9ac880443de98e382204d94dcff4.jpg

If that happened to me I'd say screw it, had a nice life, this isn't worth the trouble. Good on him for finding the motivation though.

If that happened to me I'd say screw it, had a nice life, this isn't worth the trouble. Good on him for finding the motivation though.
I'd have to agree. I truly don't believe I could have the positive outlook these guys do. But that's coming from someone with an able body and hopefully a full life ahead. For them, near death experience may have resulted in a new look, and find they took the good with the bad. In other words they could have died, rather are alive, with a hurdle in life.

how much money does it take for them to maintain their lifestyle though? racing on specially modified bikes can't be cheap. also they might not have a normal job either. where do they get the income? large insurance settlement?

Racing isn't cheap regardless. I don't see any major cost to running a modified bike vs a regular race bike other than initial build cost.

Why cant they have normal jobs? They are paralyzed, not dead.

I have seen paraplegics who work in offices, stores, scientific labs, shipping companies, warehouses, and host TV talkshows , run motorcycle shops, etc.,
As Newman said, other than physical labour that requires the ability to walk, the sky is the limit. If anyone else can afford racing, there is no reason a rider in a wheelchair couldn't either.
As for bike prep, Dave devised his own landing gears that attach to passenger footpeg mounts on the subframe, driven by worm gear electric motors. The bike featured an electric quickshifter, some footpads where the riders feet could be attached like a snowmobile might have, and a custom seat....he is no dummy, and came up with a very nice package. Were I to become injured, I know he would be the first guy I would approach to build a bike to suit the needs.

Back
Top Bottom