Condo harassing me | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Condo harassing me

nonsense. find me a house in the city for less than $350K that is not falling apart.

condo fees almost as much as rent.... lol.
Yea people like to exaggerate to make their point.

I sold a condo to buy a house as I dislike condos but for some people a condo is the best option. I was paying 300 in condo fees in Spadina and front on the City Place condos, however that is below the average for condo fees, the highest i heard in the area was 900 a month, which is ridiculous but no where close to the 1800 up to 3 or 5 k someone will pay for rent in the same area. Even a ****** apartment these days is 1400 for rent is shady areas.

For some people renting is the best option, for some people a condo is for others like me a house is the best option.

I bought a new house about years 2 ago, I am now selling it for an asking price of 200k more than what it cost, I am not going to sell it for the asking price but already got a low ball offer for an amount that will (after commission, land transfer and lawyer fee) put me ahead by aproxm 80k. If I was renting I wouldn't have made that money.

But like I said for some renting is the best option, I am not sure why people get so pissy about the rent vs own argument

Its pretty simple, if you make a good wage and can bank for a retirement or relocation and do not/will not need the potential gains on the sale of a property then by all means rent. Lots of really wealthy people rent, they can live where they like, how they like , and moving involves ending a lease.
But supposedly many Canadians are not saving and will absolutely need the gains on a house to help fund a retirement.
For those that dismiss Condos as money out the window with fees, do the arithmetic on what it costs to keep a house and its not far off generally, and in the condo fees they are planning for the new roof/driveway pave/AC repair, just like a good homeowner should.
Just like buying a house in the wrong neighborhood there are bad condos, you have to do your homework.
And yes I own both single dwelling houses and condos so my assessment is current.

Exactly ..... the math most people apply when comparing costs of condo vs. free hold is simply out to lunch. It really depends on circumstances and could go anywhere from cheaper to more expensive. To correctly ***** whether a condo corp is the one you should do business with takes much more diligent homework than when buying a house, because you simply will be dependent on people, budgets, reserve fund studies and conditions you don't 100% control.

takes much more diligent homework than when buying a house, because you simply will be dependent on people, budgets, reserve fund studies and conditions you don't 100% control.

The vast majority of us are shackled one way or another but owning your free hold outright probably gives more of a sensation of not being mired in somebody elses cesspool. Of course it's mostly just a sensation as only death brings real relief.

The vast majority of us are shackled one way or another but owning your free hold outright probably gives more of a sensation of not being mired in somebody elses cesspool. Of course it's mostly just a sensation as only death brings real relief.

Reality is most people will never own their own house, and when they do they'll be 65 and most likely will have to sell it to buy some depends and retire in a nursing home

Reality is most people will never own their own house, and when they do they'll be 65 and most likely will have to sell it to buy some depends and retire in a nursing home

Yes, the numbers don't lie. You may need to broaden your horizons. I understand there may be good reasons why you don't want to do that.

Glad most of GTAM figured out their life and my life. Buy a ridiculously overpriced house in the GTA, wait for friday to watch hockey, wait for that once a year vacation to a Caribbean island and look forward to retirement from your 20's. But hey you are a MAN because you have a garage to keep a weekend timmies bike.

Thanks for your input...

Glad most of GTAM figured out their life and my life. Buy a ridiculously overpriced house in the GTA, wait for friday to watch hockey, wait for that once a year vacation to a Caribbean island and look forward to retirement from your 20's. But hey you are a MAN because you have a garage to keep a weekend timmies bike.

Thanks for your input...

:lmao:

But hey you are a MAN because you have a garage to keep a weekend timmies bike.

Thanks for your input...

I park both my car and my bike in the same garage, oh yeah, its MY garage! sorry what was your original question for the group? Something about a parking issue?

Thanks for your input...

How is it overpriced? If you can sell it tomorrow for what you paid today then it's market value. If you can't afford it, lashing out at other people isn't going to changed that. Live somewhere where your money goes farther.

How is it overpriced? If you can sell it tomorrow for what you paid today then it's market value. If you can't afford it, lashing out at other people isn't going to changed that. Live somewhere where your money goes farther.

The gap between income and average house price in the gta increased greatly in the past few years. As soon as my gf is done school, my plan is to go where quality of life is more sustainable and where my money will go way further.

The gap between income and average house price in the gta increased greatly in the past few years. As soon as my gf is done school, my plan is to go where quality of life is more sustainable and where my money will go way further.

Honestly I don't understand how the average person can afford to live there period. It's easy for couch pilots and pontificators like myself to tell people to moove to greener pastures but I see that as the only way out of a life of serfdom.

There's a country just a tad bit south of us that found out otherwise

Crud. I guess I shouldn't buy a second house then?
I was hoping to at least be able to buy a Ranch Style,
and spend a little time there when I get older.

=================================

It sounds like there aren't really any good options, at your current condo,
and moving always sucks big time. If others are also in the same position, and you're being centred out for special tactics, then Procrastination might be your best bet.

Is there anyone who you're friendly with in the management chain?

Crud. I guess I shouldn't buy a second house then?
I was hoping to at least be able to buy a Ranch Style,
and spend a little time there when I get older.

=================================

It sounds like there aren't really any good options, at your current condo,
and moving always sucks big time. If others are also in the same position, and you're being centred out for special tactics, then Procrastination might be your best bet.

Is there anyone who you're friendly with in the management chain?

Why stop at second? Buy a third one!

Everyone knows houses only go up, you'll be a millionaire in no time!

There's a country just a tad bit south of us that found out otherwise

Just when I think you're ready for big boy pants you drop this turd. What happened down south is well documented. Personal responsibility needs to be part of any winning strategy.

Just when I think you're ready for big boy pants you drop this turd. What happened down south is well documented. Personal responsibility needs to be part of any winning strategy.

Personal responsibility? You mean like people buying a house for the MAX amount that their bank will give them with 5% down?

When this thing finally blows up im sure everyone who loses their shirts will say "ya, it was my fault for putting all my eggs in one basket", and not even their eggs, but mortgaged for the next 30, in some cases 40 years! :lmao:

These people will be the first ones crying for a bailout of any kind and the taxpayers will pay for their **** ups, cause after all the government will bend over backward to win the next election

Honestly I don't understand how the average person can afford to live there period. It's easy for couch pilots and pontificators like myself to tell people to moove to greener pastures but I see that as the only way out of a life of serfdom.

Come on don't lose your edge. These damn kids that pay lots of money for a good university degree like engineering only to find they have a hard time getting their first job in their field for a bit more money than minimum wage should have their school paid off and a down payment for a house that costs >$500 by the time they are 25 years old.

Baggsy. I arranged to store my bike in a friends garage over winter. I will see what happens in the spring. I am really not concerned for my bike being damaged or stolen. There is a big lot beside my building that offers monthly parking. I might just rent a spot there.

Last edited:
Come on don't lose your edge. These damn kids that pay lots of money for a good university degree like engineering only to find they have a hard time getting their first job in their field for a bit more money than minimum wage should have their school paid off and a down payment for a house that costs >$500 by the time they are 25 years old.

Baggsy. I arranged to store my bike in a friends garage over winter. I will see what happens in the spring. I am really not concerned for my bike being damaged or stolen. There is a big lot beside my building that offers monthly parking. I might just rent a spot there.

You're doing it wrong. Hook up with a real estate agent that will toss you 1% cashback, now you only need 4%. Combined with a cashback mortgage and you're sailing with nothing down!

Its so easy even a monkey can do it!

IF that doesn't work you can always buy a condo that comes with a free car, sell the car and boom, you got downpayment money!

Personal responsibility? You mean like people buying a house for the MAX amount that their bank will give them with 5% down?

When this thing finally blows up im sure everyone who loses their shirts will say "ya, it was my fault for putting all my eggs in one basket", and not even their eggs, but mortgaged for the next 30, in some cases 40 years! :lmao:

These people will be the first ones crying for a bailout of any kind and the taxpayers will pay for their **** ups, cause after all the government will bend over backward to win the next election

Canadian mortgage laws have been further tightened to prevent what happened in the States but one can still get in trouble. People are using houses as atm atm. "They're" calling for a correction in housing prices as well. Stay where you are Paul, don't do anything stupid.

Back
Top Bottom