HJC RPHA 10 Evoke $219 vs Shoei RF1200 ($530) | GTAMotorcycle.com

HJC RPHA 10 Evoke $219 vs Shoei RF1200 ($530)

RPHA 10 Evoke ($220) or RF1200 ($530)

• Total voters

MSRP

Howdy folks,

Please help me choose one of the aforementioned helmets.
The HJC is currently on closeout for $219 (link) but I had always planned for an RF1200 as soon as they come out with a graphic that I like. (I hate all RF1200's that are currently available). PS: I understand that the RPHA is a "track day helmet"/designed to be in a tuck compared to the RF1200 which is an "everything" helmet.

Use will be mainly touring on an more upright bike: ala ex500/sv650, so reading the reviews indicate that the HJC might be a chore on a hot day. No track days, but many days of 4+ hours in Ontario on sideroads.

I like the enormous bang-for-buck of the high end HJC for a $300 savings, but the RF1200 is such a sweetheart for quietness/airflow.
Anyone have experience with both? I'm kind of leaning towards HJC since I'm not too hot on their graphics either, and might be able to put up with a bit more noise/less quality for $300 in savings.

I'm currently running my HJC CL-16 from my car-racing days, so that thing is noisy and rips my head when head-checking--so any improvement will be a massive improvement.

Last edited:
careful with closeout helmets. they are often several years old already

I understand age = bad, but that principle only really applies to worn helmets no? Something about the oils and sweat eventually breaking down the material that makes up the "protect your noggin" EPS liner. Brand new, on the shelf helmet should outlast the ozone, no?

I understand age = bad, but that principle only really applies to worn helmets no? Something about the oils and sweat eventually breaking down the material that makes up the "protect your noggin" EPS liner. Brand new, on the shelf helmet should outlast the ozone, no?

Even worn, the numbers are close to ten years. In a box, the lifetime is close to infinite.

Sharp rating on the HJC:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelm...&sharp-type=All&sharp-rating=1&discontinued=1

Three stars is ok, This model of Shoei is not rated, but they vary from 3-5 stars.

I would let fit decide, but I don't see twice the value in the Shoei.

I don't own an RF1200, tried one on though, not as comfortable for me as RPHA-10.

I understand that the RPHA is a "track day helmet"/designed to be in a tuck...the HJC might be a chore on a hot day.

Don't let this track day stuff fool you. The RPHA-10 is suitable for any kind of riding. Ventilation is good up top, not so good in the chin, but when it's hot I crack the visor slightly and get plenty of air. I wear ear plugs with any helmet, so noise isn't a concern. Another consideration is replacement visors: half the cost of Arai or Shoei. Also includes a Pinlock insert. Fully removable, washable interior.

Your $219.00 is actually about $250.00CAD, still a good deal. What about shipping?

Love my RPHA probably the most underrated lid on the market.

What he said. ^^^ Every bit as good as Arai or Shoei. Four seasons and 50,000km on mine, will buy another.

funny this is up, cause i love them both and i'm looking at both of them to replace my current helmet

but my vote is the rpha10 because it fits my head shape better. but the shoeirf1200 is a very nice looking helmet.

i'm currently using the rf1100, and i need a new helmet because Shoei really fits small around the top of my ears. I am now going to move into the rhpa10 because of the size and shape.

these 2 helmets are totally different when it comes to fitment. my advice is get the one that fits best and is comfortable. yes, the shoei seems like it's a better hemlet due to the price tag. but it isn't always the case. i kind of regret getting the 1100 because i just wasted 2 seasons on a helmet that was too small and it gave me headaches after about 2 hours of constant riding.

remember that the helmet is supposed to keep you safe. yes to all the DOT and Snell stuff, but remember that a good helmet does not distract you from the road by being uncomfortable. you're supposed to forget that it's there so you can concentrate on what's important, and that's riding your motorcycle safely.

/rant

edit: if the rpha10 is good enough for lorenzo, it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
I replaced my RPHA with another helmet because I was getting over heated. This was in race conditions and unless you have your head facing the exact right way it isn't the best helmet as far as ventilation goes. Cracking a visor at Mach 5 isn't an option. For a street lid it's excellent and for the price I wouldn't hesitate to get one if it fits you properly.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the RPHA, looks meh, but fits well, and is less than half that of the RF1200--seems the two are comparable in wind noise. Cheaper shields (no rainbow mirror though :( ) are a plus, and it's really only losing out on a not-so-premium interior lining, not as great impact ratings (still safe), and not as nice fit-and-finish.

45200d4d2632b68c7a87982d88685a81.jpg
love this helmet. I even like the graphics they used and the gold iridium visor is mandatory. I live in Vancouver and rose today with it and it has extremely good nice reduction. And for a guy like me with a big head has no issues with shoulder checking or and issues for that matter. Hjc was noisy and wasn't As well built. You pay for the quality. The all pass the minimum requirements/standards but which one has The higher grade is the one I want my most important organ incased with.

good luck with your journey to find a brain bucket!

I have crash tested the RF1100 going shoulder first, then helmet, onto asphalt at around 110km/h while watching my helmet screen scratch up and hearing the scraping sounds for a while. The helmet held up perfectly.

I'm buying Shoei helmets forever lol

Back
Top Bottom