Tickets dropping off record | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tickets dropping off record

Conviction date now or conviction date later? Not sure how delaying conviction date helps you other than if your renewal date was coming up and you wanted to shop for a new company

Well yes. Conviction later would definitely help, especially in my case as I had a minor last year. I recently received another ticket so if I paid right away, that means two convictions within renewal time next year. Fighting it would mean I won't get convicted until after my renewal.

If it's your first conviction with no chance of winning, still fight it and plead guilty with a lesser charge

I got a ticket a few years ago and fought it (plea bargin actually).. the day I went to the. Courtroom I paid the fine and that is the date that my insurance company removed it three years later. I was late getting to the airport and was going 145 the whole way to buffalo. It was worth it, that business trip netted me plenty of money to pay the damages lol I think I even told the officer to be quick about it, sometimes you've gotta weigh the pros and cons :)

The insurance company goes by your mvr. Go pull it. If the ticket is gone by your renewal date they can't rate you for it. They don't make those rules.....the Ministry of Transposrtation does. It used to be $5 to get your own mvr at the ministry. Go do that and it will answer your question.

The insurance company goes by your mvr. Go pull it. If the ticket is gone by your renewal date they can't rate you for it. They don't make those rules.....the Ministry of Transposrtation does. It used to be $5 to get your own mvr at the ministry. Go do that and it will answer your question.

You can pull it up online

Yeah well, some cases are just not winnable. So you're telling me if all the evidence is against you, you pay your ticket immediately?

The hope is that the cop doesn't show and the case gets dropped.

If you're just going through the motions and have no case prepared to argue with, you're basically going in there to reduce the damages is all.

Just to clear up some confusion I'm posting a photo of what an MVR/Abstract looks like.
It shows the Offense date or ticket date and the conviction date, Insurance goes by the conviction date.
You have not yet been convicted of the offense the day you got the ticket.
Hope this helps to clarify some confusion.

photo_1.jpg

Interesting. I was always under the assumption that moving violations show up on your insurance the day you were charged, not convicted.

It goes by conviction.
Being charged does not (should not) make a difference as you have not been "convicted" and found at fault.

Edit. Doh, just saw the above.

Just to clear up some confusion I'm posting a photo of what an MVR/Abstract looks like.
It shows the Offense date or ticket date and the conviction date, Insurance goes by the conviction date.
You have not yet been convicted of the offense the day you got the ticket.
Hope this helps to clarify some confusion.

View attachment 36004
You got a 15 over 100 km/hr ??? wow

I guess it was for the children

Interesting. I was always under the assumption that moving violations show up on your insurance the day you were charged, not convicted.

Nope, that's one of the neat tricks you can play. I requested a court date for a speeding ticket, got a date after my renewal, waiting til after my renewal to pay (and thereby be 'convicted') and then the next year it'll show up. It's still 3 years of a ticket on your record, and therefore 3 renewals, but in the meantime, you might have other milestones; in my case, by the time I pay a renewal with the ticket on it, I'll be a year older (of course) and an accident will fall off the record.

I got a ticket back in june 2012, had a court date in march 2013 and paid it then, it goes by the march date?

Nope, that's one of the neat tricks you can play. I requested a court date for a speeding ticket, got a date after my renewal, waiting til after my renewal to pay (and thereby be 'convicted') and then the next year it'll show up. It's still 3 years of a ticket on your record, and therefore 3 renewals, but in the meantime, you might have other milestones; in my case, by the time I pay a renewal with the ticket on it, I'll be a year older (of course) and an accident will fall off the record.

I don't think that's how it works, the minute you are convicted (ie when you are thinking of paying) your insurance company can jack up the premium regardless of your renewal date. It will show up right away.

I don't think that's how it works, the minute you are convicted (ie when you are thinking of paying) your insurance company can jack up the premium regardless of your renewal date. It will show up right away.

Your premium doesn't usually change until renewal date, also if you get a few tickets that put you into a profile that your insurance company would not insure you they generally wait until your current policy expires and then refuse to renew. There are exceptions to this such as accidents due to impaired driving. Also the insurance company won't know when you are convicted unless you a) tell them or b) they pull your abstract. Pulling abstracts are not done on every customer, I know a few people that got lucky and managed to wait out some tickets, granted they didn't make any changes to their insurance in that time (no bike changes, no car changes) and the insurance company didn't pull any abstracts.

Back
Top Bottom