Tickets dropping off record | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tickets dropping off record

Fonzy

My auto policy renews on Nov 1. Got my drivers abstract, it says I was convicted of an infraction on October 28, 2011. I called my insurance company today (October 30, 2014) to see how much my insurance goes down as the ticket was dropped off my record. They say their records indicate that my ticket comes off my record in February because that must have been when I paid the ticket. Any truth to this? Anything I can do?

I have my official drivers abstract sitting in front of me. No mention of this February date.

Thanks,
-Dan

Last edited:
My auto policy renews on Nov 1. Got my drivers abstract, it says I was convicted of an infraction on October 28, 2011. I called my insurance company today (October 30, 2014) to see how much my insurance goes down as the ticket was dropped off my record. They say our records indicate that your ticket comes off your record in February because that must have been when you paid the ticket. Can they do this? I have my official drivers abstract sitting in front of me. No mention of this February date.

Thanks,
-Dan

Yea it goes of your date of conviction. But you paid your ticket 4 months later? did you take it to court?

I have been told by my insurance that the ticket comes off at the conviction date, no one ever said anything about when the ticket is payed. They must be making new rules up
My auto policy renews on Nov 1. Got my drivers abstract, it says I was convicted of an infraction on October 28, 2011. I called my insurance company today (October 30, 2014) to see how much my insurance goes down as the ticket was dropped off my record. They say their records indicate that my ticket comes off my record in February because that must have been when I paid the ticket. Any truth to this? Anything I can do?

I have my official drivers abstract sitting in front of me. No mention of this February date.

Thanks,
-Dan

I have been told by my insurance that the ticket comes off at the conviction date, no one ever said anything about when the ticket is payed. They must be making new rules up

The day you pay your ticket is the conviction date. That's you essentially pleading guilty. The day you get the ticket is the day you were charged

My thoughts exactly, it should be the conviction date on my abstract. I will call back tomorrow and see if they give me the same BS.

The day you pay your ticket is the conviction date. That's you essentially pleading guilty. The day you get the ticket is the day you were charged

Some people are convicted of an offense in court and given X amount of time to pay the ticket. Sometimes 60 days sometimes a year depending on the ticket. This would mean a drastically different

Some people are convicted of an offense in court and given X amount of time to pay the ticket. Sometimes 60 days sometimes a year depending on the ticket. This would mean a drastically different

Correct. But in this case the conviction date is the day he paid the fine.

I always fight the tickets and always pay the same day I settle but what happens to those that get a conviction in court and ask to pay later? would the conviction date be the day in court or when they finish paying for the ticket?

Edit: From what you wrote above it seems that it is the day the ticket is paid and not when the judge passes the conviction... interesting, I did not know that

I always fight the tickets and always pay the same day I settle but what happens to those that get a conviction in court and ask to pay later? would the conviction date be the day in court or when they finish paying for the ticket?

Conviction date in court

Edit: From what you wrote above it seems that it is the day the ticket is paid and not when the judge passes the conviction... interesting, I did not know that

I think what hes saying is that if you receive a ticket and pay it within the set time your conviction date would be the date you paid the fine. If you choose to goto court then your conviction date would become the day the judge struck the gavel down and not whenever afterwards that you paid the fine.

That make sense Kellen?

Interesting. I was always under the assumption that moving violations show up on your insurance the day you were charged, not convicted.

Tickets only show on your record once your convicted. For the purposes of insurance they count for the period of time, (normally 3 years), from the date of conviction.

The day your charged = the date you receive your ticket.
Date of conviction = either the day your "voluntary payment is processed, (if you choose to pay it within the 10 - 15 days) OR the date you appear before the JP, and a "conviction is registered with the court" weather that be as a result of pleading guilty, or being found guilty after a trial.

Interesting. I was always under the assumption that moving violations show up on your insurance the day you were charged, not convicted.

That wouldn't work very well if the person beat the "charge" in court.

The ticket is supposed to drop off my record three years from the conviction date. The company (The Personal) is sticking to their story that the date they have for my ticket is in February even though my driver's abstract states that I was convicted on October 28th. They also gave me a hard time last winter when I tried to park my summer car and reduce my coverage to fire and theft. They said in Ontario I have to have minimal liability insurance even if the car won't be driven, so they wouldn't reduce it. I had to write to the Ombudsman to get a resolution. I think they write their own policies and try to enforce it as the rule. The hassle is not worth the minimal savings in premiums. They will not be getting any more of my business.

I called another insurance company and they had the right date for my ticket (October 28th).

That wouldn't work very well if the person beat the "charge" in court.

Let me clarify my confusion. I always thought that if/when you were convicted, the insurance company would be basing the date on the charge date and not the conviction date. This was what I thought was the "incentive" in fighting tickets.

Let me clarify my confusion. I always thought that if/when you were convicted, the insurance company would be basing the date on the charge date and not the conviction date. This was what I thought was the "incentive" in fighting tickets.

The incentive for fighting tickets is to have no conviction date.

The insurance company is supposed to base your policy on the conviction date. The incentive in fighting your ticket (if you win in court) is that it won't effect your insurance. If you lose, you've actually just pushed out the date at which the ticket will drop off your record.

The incentive for fighting tickets is to have no conviction date.

Yeah well, some cases are just not winnable. So you're telling me if all the evidence is against you, you pay your ticket immediately?

Yeah well, some cases are just not winnable. So you're telling me if all the evidence is against you, you pay your ticket immediately?

Conviction date now or conviction date later? Not sure how delaying conviction date helps you other than if your renewal date was coming up and you wanted to shop for a new company

Could also be that you want to get a reduction on the Dollar amount of the ticket or a point reduction if you care about points. But in regards to insurance, you are just pushing to a later date having your record clean.

Back
Top Bottom