New Rider Need Advice. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider Need Advice.

HoundR

Hi, so for starters im 22 years old and i recently found a bike im really interested in. I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle and i have some experience on a dirt bike. Its a 500 cc honda. the guy wants 1000$ for it and it seems liek an awesome starter bike and an awesome deal.

Now i have read many of the other posts and i have learned lots already in my research but my biggest issue is that insurance companys want more then 4000 a year. I live north of toronto by a bit and we only have a 6-8 month riding season. I cannot afford to pay 4x the cost of my bike for 6 months of riding.

The real question here is if i could get some pointers to either reduce insurance or anything to help make my decision.

Best tips so far is get my full license and just dont ride for a year, plus the usual take training course and such.

Am i the unreasonable one, is this what any young rider is paying. I want to ride but not if it means i cant pay rent, school fees, and all the other ******** of life. I supose if i had lots of money it wouldnt be an issue but truth is i dont.

what u ride and were u ride it is the excuse from the insurance company regarding fees, and age counts as well. It's just the way it go's for a new young rider, (what bike r you trying to insure BTW). try kenitex for an insurance quote, it's all done on line. ....... good luck and keep the rubber side down.
ED

Last edited:
Displacement is the biggest factor in pricing. There are hundreds of choices for insurance. Find a smaller bike and pit brokers against each other.

agreed with XenoVibes. usually most insurance companies check 3 things.
since you're outside of Toronto, you won't have to worry. but having a 500cc and at age 22 will go against you. it doesn't matter if you took a course or not, it won't change you're age. start with a smaller displacement and go from there. i know someone who has a 250 and not quite 25 yet but he was quoted at $900 for the year. and he lives in toronto.

I was $627/year with an M2 for my CBR125R. I got insurance the day before I started the 3 day training and they didn't charge me until after my M2 / Safety which saved me like $300. Mind you, having your full G does make a difference, and having a car bundled with them, being a recent graduate can reduce your prices. I didn't have any bundles/discounts though. It was with TD Meloche Monnex.

A lot of ins. companies don't care if you have your full M or if you've taken a course.

Years of riding makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom