2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or.......... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or..........

It's not that you need to upgrade the bike to be quick. It's that you'll need to just to live with it. For me, it wouldn't be optional and for those that have told me otherwise, they've modified their R1 within weeks of buying it. Everyone I know - literally everyone - with a late model R1 has had buyer's remorse, followed by extensive modifications, warranty work, and/or sale. For this reason I jumped in and said my piece in this thread about them. Hopefully the next version will be better.

Of the bikes I know about, FWIW, the R1 has been #1 least reliable with a bullet, from 2003 model on. My friends with 1998-2002 models haven't spent a minute's time inside the motor except to check the valves. Like I keep saying, though.... YMMV.

PS: I have detailed the issues with my friends R1s here on the forum in the past. To just quickly relate, my Yamaha-fanatic friend went through two complete head refreshes for his 2003 and needed a third when he crashed the bike on the 511 a few years ago, at around 85K. Another needed a new head at 8K for his 2007 and eventually had the entire engine replaced when complications arose from the first failure (they put a 2008 motor in). Then the issues outlined in this thread for the 2010+ models. This is just in my small group of friends, I wonder what worldwide figures are like!

Oh, and for a street bike, I'd far rather have this:

image.jpg

Prelim details here:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/aprilia-tuono-v4-1100-teaser/

Last edited:
It's not that you need to upgrade the bike to be quick. It's that you'll need to just to live with it. For me, it wouldn't be optional and for those that have told me otherwise, they've modified their R1 within weeks of buying it. Everyone I know - literally everyone - with a late model R1 has had buyer's remorse, followed by extensive modifications, warranty work, and/or sale. For this reason I jumped in and said my piece in this thread about them. Hopefully the next version will be better.

Of the bikes I know about, FWIW, the R1 has been #1 least reliable with a bullet, from 2003 model on. My friends with 1998-2002 models haven't spent a minute's time inside the motor except to check the valves. Like I keep saying, though.... YMMV.

PS: I have detailed the issues with my friends R1s here on the forum in the past. To just quickly relate, my Yamaha-fanatic friend went through two complete head refreshes for his 2003 and needed a third when he crashed the bike on the 511 a few years ago, at around 85K. Another needed a new head at 8K for his 2007 and eventually had the entire engine replaced when complications arose from the first failure (they put a 2008 motor in). Then the issues outlined in this thread for the 2010+ models. This is just in my small group of friends, I wonder what worldwide figures are like!

Oh, and for a street bike, I'd far rather have this:

image.jpg

Prelim details here:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/aprilia-tuono-v4-1100-teaser/

Those are some serious problems you've listed... Not good....Thank your for your posts! Think I'm gonna have to scratch that bike off the list...
Dude, you're killing me with the Aprillia pics!!
Tempting.....Really tempting :)

@ Shaman - what's the maintenance like for the Aprillias - RSV4 and Tuono?...

if youre looking for non current/leftover deals, larry's small engines in mono had a 2013 gsxr 1000 limited edition for $10.5k...about $12k out the door, it may have sold though...gp bikes has leftover 848 evo dark for $12.5k....about $14k out the door...not a litre bike, but probably feels quite different from your current bike.

I have 3 friends with 2009 -2013 R1's. No issues at all other than the heat. The Aprilia gets super hot in any type of traffic too. I own one, and no longer ride it on the street.

If you think that's hot, you should try my old 1050 Sprint ST. Or a S1000RR. Or a Panigale. Everything's hot in traffic, some are worse than others... I have no complaints with the RSV4 that way.

Maintenance on the Aprilias is about the same as any other bike, though they want an inspection at 1000km and (iirc) 15000km, which is a bit earlier than say, a Honda. If you get Ohlins suspended model, expect a bit more maintenance than the Sachs version, but then if you're buying the higher-end bike you probably don't want your suspension to get gummed up and out of condition anyways. As the Tuono has a lower rev limit and operating range, it's likely got a cheaper maintenance schedule for valve check, etc. but I don't know. I do know that it's easier to do the valve check on the V65 than it is on a VFR, but that's not saying much, lol

I didn't mention it but I will now, at 35K my buddy's 2010 R1 with "fixed" ECU and Arrow pipes would just barely outrun my Tuono, which is supposed to have about 35hp less. That's the one that got replaced with a 2009 ZX10R, which I can't hang with on the Tuono, at all. Again, this is my direct experience, YMMV. I believe that Yamaha has manufactured bikes without these issues or more people would complain about them (or they'd be out of business), but the people I know... not so much.

You asked opinion; mine is that if you gave me a R1 made in the last decade, I'd turn it over for a song. Wouldn't trade any of my bikes for it. I'd never ride it. The new R1 coming up sounds nice, maybe it'll be reliable, too.

So again if this is the only choices you have, the GSX-Rs have been great to me and everyone I know. I did take a motor out of my 1000 last year, but the bike put out 25hp+ more than stock and never saw anything but hard use on the track, for five years. It might be worth checking the insurance costs for both bikes, as well.

Last edited:
if youre looking for non current/leftover deals, larry's small engines in mono had a 2013 gsxr 1000 limited edition for $10.5k...about $12k out the door, it may have sold though...gp bikes has leftover 848 evo dark for $12.5k....about $14k out the door...not a litre bike, but probably feels quite different from your current bike.
Thanks!!
Agreed on the different!!
That's a grest price for the '13 limited 1k

Try the Evo for sure, if the bike fits you then they are really interesting bikes. But, fit/ergos is the issue for most people. GP will let you spend 20+ minutes on it, probably... so take advantage.

My friend with the 2009 ZX10R is going to buy an 899, he loves the 848 but it doesn't fit him all that well, whereas the 899 does. I haven't talked to him in a few weeks, he's probably already sold the Kawasaki.

Last edited:
My insurance is the same for both the Yamaha and Suzuki. I wouldn't imagine it being too much more if at all for the other bikes mentioned, but a simple phone call would answer that.

A huge thanks to all for their input and honesty.

Try the Evo for sure, if the bike fits you then they are really interesting bikes. But, fit/ergos is the issue for most people. GP will let you spend 20+ minutes on it, probably... so take advantage.

My friend with the 2009 ZX10R is going to buy an 899, he loves the 848 but it doesn't fit him all that well, whereas the 899 does. I haven't talked to him in a few weeks, he's probably already sold the Kawasaki.
My L4 750 fits me perfectly. Haven't tried on a Ducati. Time for a drive out to GP? I do like the 899 :)

I have a friend who went from a GSXR750 to an Evo 848 red/white ... he ordered a new upper triple clamp and higher handlebars before he even took delivery, and he ended up changing the rear shock to a different Ohlins that actually allowed suspension movement; the stock one was far, far too stiff. It is a beautiful bike and nothing has actually "broken" but it cost a bit of coin to sort out the suspension and ergonomics.

Ducati has interesting ideas about what a street bike is. Hahaha To be fair, they make much more streetable bikes.

Wow I've always wanted a tuono, almost bought one this summer. I'm glad I waited the new redesign looks great. I'm especially happy about the headlights. Time to start saving up :)

Wow I've always wanted a tuono, almost bought one this summer. I'm glad I waited the new redesign looks great. I'm especially happy about the headlights. Time to start saving up :)

They did the right thing with it, too... used that extra capacity mostly for torque, which is where a naked bike will make the most of it.
105-page-001.jpg_2000.jpg

If you're not riding it on the track, I cannot imagine why anyone would shop for a 160+ hp sportbike to begin with.

Sorta like buying a Lamborghini for day to day driving.

I would be far more inclined to ride a Tuono, Monster, Superduke. And heck, I would probably even order the little Monster 821 with 110 hp...more than enough for me on a streetbike.

Last edited:
I bought my r1 just for looks. To be completely honest. Before it's life as a race bike I didn't care how much hp or how it handled (cause who really cares on the street) I bought it because every single time I looked at it it made my private tingle.
And it still does ..

I bought my r1 just for looks. To be completely honest. Before it's life as a race bike I didn't care how much hp or how it handled (cause who really cares on the street) I bought it because every single time I looked at it it made my private tingle.
And it still does ..
Couldn't agree more :)

If you're not riding it on the track, I cannot imagine why anyone would shop for a 160+ hp sportbike to begin with.

Sorta like buying a Lamborghini for day to day driving.

I would be far more inclined to ride a Tuono, Monster, Superduke. And heck, I would probably even order the little Monster 821 with 110 hp...more than enough for me on a streetbike.
Actually, I'd prefer a Ferrari over a Lambo.... But that's just me ;)

Back
Top Bottom