2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or.......... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or..........

Go with the 09 only if you're intending to upgrade the suspension front and rear - the stock suspension CANNOT handle that motor!! I (had) one. Wasn't going to invest that kinda $$$ into it.

Yeah, have to agree with this. I'm pretty sick of reading FZ09 gushing reviews, then a few months later, it turns out it's a great cheap bike if you spend another 2-3 grand on suspension and re-tune the ECU, and get better brakes, etc. etc. . Motorcycle Magazines are a joke. I signed up for three demos on the FZ09 this summer, and the bike was broke on 2/3 rides.
The Suzi or Kawi big nakeds are just better.

Many Aprilia owners nickname the bikes Italian Hondas. Then, of course, there is literally the Italian Honda, the CB1000R...which gets little press attention.

cb1000r2014.jpg

To me, these bikes make much more sense on roads and are easy to ride.

I know where there's a 2010 RSV4 for sale... white with quickshifter and PC5. But yeah, that's my vote. I could have bought a HP4 for only a little more than my Factory but being completely honest with myself, teh big-power inline-4s on the street just aren't very exciting. 99% of the time you'll just be rolling around at 4,500 rpm and the bikes just aren't very exciting. Big twins and the RSV4 are, half of the excitement is aural and the other half is having a chassis that feels ready for anything. Say whatever you want about how dumb it is to love the sound of your bike but most of the dweebs saying it are blipping the throttle in the pits or at stop lights... hahaha It really does add to the experience.

Of these two bikes, the R1 has a similar sound to the RSV4 actually, but I consider the current R1 too flawed to be of interest. With some money ($1000+) spent to fix the issues of the R1, it turns into a fairly comfortable bike but it's never all that exciting and it always feels heavy to me. I have quality time on and with this generation of R1 and I'd trade one for a 2008 in a blink if I was a Yamaha guy. So the GSX-R would be my choice out of the two... very good track bike and a pretty good street bike. But yeah... I already voted with my money and bought a RSV4 so ... for the street I'd recommend the Tuono V4R first unless the looks are your thing, it's a better street bike (than any race rep)

Yeah, have to agree with this. I'm pretty sick of reading FZ09 gushing reviews, then a few months later, it turns out it's a great cheap bike if you spend another 2-3 grand on suspension and re-tune the ECU, and get better brakes, etc. etc. . Motorcycle Magazines are a joke. I signed up for three demos on the FZ09 this summer, and the bike was broke on 2/3 rides.

I have two acquaintances that bought FZ-09s States-side (I of course said get a used Tuono if you want a cheap naked, you know me)... both of them have had their bikes in for major engine clatter that seems to be related to the cam chain tensioner, neither bike has been repaired - Yamaha disavows any issue. The clatter is loud, it does really sound like the valvetrain is dying. :/

Another note: supposedly Yamaha has the issues fixed for the R1 but even my Yamaha-fanatic friend has had to admit that his 2010 R1 has been a pain in the #$%. It's had cam chain tensioner system replaced twice (not sure if chain also), clutch has been replaced, chain/sprockets replaced at 12K, the exhaust has been replaced because of the heat, TPS issues, engine went flat at 6000 RPM intermittently and wouldn't accelerate... needed the valves adjusted twice (55K on it), it's not been reliable. BTW the chain issue is a mystery for two reasons... Yamaha claims there is no issue, and he is fanatic about keeping his chain oiled so that is not the cause. He is in his mid-50s, has physical disability and does no track days, so the bike is not being beaten on. Another friend with one literally burned his wife's thigh from exhaust heat on a two-up ride... it's not just hot, it's Panigale hot...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input everyone!
Best thing to do right now is remain patient.
Motorycle shows are right around the corner!

I have two acquaintances that bought FZ-09s States-side (I of course said get a used Tuono if you want a cheap naked, you know me)... both of them have had their bikes in for major engine clatter that seems to be related to the cam chain tensioner, neither bike has been repaired - Yamaha disavows any issue. The clatter is loud, it does really sound like the valvetrain is dying. :/

Another note: supposedly Yamaha has the issues fixed for the R1 but even my Yamaha-fanatic friend has had to admit that his 2010 R1 has been a pain in the #$%. It's had cam chain tensioner system replaced twice (not sure if chain also), clutch has been replaced, chain/sprockets replaced at 12K, the exhaust has been replaced because of the heat, TPS issues, engine went flat at 6000 RPM intermittently and wouldn't accelerate... needed the valves adjusted twice (55K on it), it's not been reliable. BTW the chain issue is a mystery for two reasons... Yamaha claims there is no issue, and he is fanatic about keeping his chain oiled so that is not the cause. He is in his mid-50s, has physical disability and does no track days, so the bike is not being beaten on. Another friend with one literally burned his wife's thigh from exhaust heat on a two-up ride... it's not just hot, it's Panigale hot...

As for the 09: the CCT is the issue with the noisy cam chain. There are two options:
1) Install a set screw and nut to keep the CCT from backing out.
2) Install a manual CCT.

I regards to the 2010 R1, that is quite a list of troubles for one bike......
As well, the heat issue keeps popping up.........

To be fair, he replaced the exhaust because of the heat. Gutted the "cat", changed out the exit cans, and I believe some other modification. He's not always clear on what's been done, because he's a rabid Yamaha fan and hates to admit when he's had issues.... lol

As for the 09: the CCT is the issue with the noisy cam chain. There are two options:
1) Install a set screw and nut to keep the CCT from backing out.
2) Install a manual CCT.

Do not do this while the bikes are under warranty. If you are having an issue with a noisy FZ09, speak to your dealer. There are other solutions but the proper steps have to be followed.

Do not do this while the bikes are under warranty. If you are having an issue with a noisy FZ09, speak to your dealer. There are other solutions but the proper steps have to be followed.

Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be disrespectful, but you mention other solutions... If you would, I'd love to hear them.
My post was based on what (I) and (many) others have done with their 09s. I'm in no way telling anyone what to do with their bike, be it a 09 or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be disrespectful, but you mention other solutions... If you would, I'd love to hear them.
My post was based on what (I) and (many) others have done with their 09s. I'm in no way telling anyone what to do with their bike, be it a 09 or otherwise.

It's not disrespectful at all to ask. :)

For any new bike: if you (as an owner) feel that something is wrong, and you bring it to the attention of your selling dealer it should be handled. If not the next step is to talk to the head office customer relations people. I know that this can be a pain, but it's part of the process. Once there is documentation in the system about your case, they will fix it. That's their job.

For the FZ09: there have been issues with previous cam chain tensioners, as someone mentioned the R1 actually had a service bulletin where the tensioners were being replaced at no charge to the customers. Most FZ09's are still under warranty if there is an abnormal noise (including chain noise), there may be a defective part that needs to be replaced. You'd be surprised at how much dealers can do to correct issues (whether mechanical, or just perceived) if given the chance. Talk to your selling dealer first, then another dealer if you are not sure, or customer relations.

It's not disrespectful at all to ask. :)

For any new bike: if you (as an owner) feel that something is wrong, and you bring it to the attention of your selling dealer it should be handled. If not the next step is to talk to the head office customer relations people. I know that this can be a pain, but it's part of the process. Once there is documentation in the system about your case, they will fix it. That's their job.

For the FZ09: there have been issues with previous cam chain tensioners, as someone mentioned the R1 actually had a service bulletin where the tensioners were being replaced at no charge to the customers. Most FZ09's are still under warranty if there is an abnormal noise (including chain noise), there may be a defective part that needs to be replaced. You'd be surprised at how much dealers can do to correct issues (whether mechanical, or just perceived) if given the chance. Talk to your selling dealer first, then another dealer if you are not sure, or customer relations.

Long story short, many owners that I've communicated with have gone the dealer route. Yamaha has replaced the defective CCT with a new version - which I cannot say for (all), but we've found that the new CCTs are also failing. The course of action for (some) has been to install a set screw and nut or opt for a more permanent solution in the form of a manual CCT - ie: APE manual CCT.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/448-i-got-tick.html

This link is to a thread on the fz09.org forum, which I'm still an active member of. The thread is rather long and demonstrates how widespread the issue actually is. I speak for (myself) when I say, I went with the set screw and nut from day one - YMMV
My 09 did not once demonstrate (any) symptoms of a defective CCT. Coincidence?!...
Not to beat a dead horse but.... I still would love to hear of those (solutions) to the CCT issue of the 09... I was hoping for fresh ideas....

rsv4.
Every single person I've talked to that owns one absolutely loves it.
(Actually never stop talking about it lol)
-it's sexy as f**k
-it sounds amazing
-it's unique
- power delivery is great for street
-it's sexy as f**k

rsv4.
Every single person I've talked to that owns one absolutely loves it.
(Actually never stop talking about it lol)
-it's sexy as ******
-it sounds amazing
-it's unique
- power delivery is great for street
-it's sexy as ******

I'm going to take a closer look at this one :)

Both are very good, both are beyond the realistic capabilities of most riders. Both will land you in jail.
I would hold off on a litrebike because the next gen is all about electronics, most of which are on the 14 ZX10R already.

As an investment, I wonder how appealing a non-TC and non-ABS litre bike will be 5 years from now.

At this range, I hate to sound like Shaman, but the Aprilia RSV4 is pretty exotic and awesome and reliable.

I have to agree.

FYI, next-generation RSV4 debuts on the 6th. Aprilia says they've updated it to be competitive in Superstock classes, which means 200hp+

Not much more to go on but speculation and the announcement of the date, though.

Long story short, many owners that I've communicated with have gone the dealer route. Yamaha has replaced the defective CCT with a new version - which I cannot say for (all), but we've found that the new CCTs are also failing. The course of action for (some) has been to install a set screw and nut or opt for a more permanent solution in the form of a manual CCT - ie: APE manual CCT.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/448-i-got-tick.html

This link is to a thread on the fz09.org forum, which I'm still an active member of. The thread is rather long and demonstrates how widespread the issue actually is. I speak for (myself) when I say, I went with the set screw and nut from day one - YMMV
My 09 did not once demonstrate (any) symptoms of a defective CCT. Coincidence?!...
Not to beat a dead horse but.... I still would love to hear of those (solutions) to the CCT issue of the 09... I was hoping for fresh ideas....

I personally am very aware of the issue, and I can't speak for other dealers and don't want to put words in their mouths. If you (or anyone) is having an issue with the replacement cam chain tensioner, they are still under warranty.. I have also personally complained about some noisy (noisier than they should be) motors and found solutions through approved factory methods. The reason my language is chosen carefully is two-fold: 1. Altering the cam chain tensioner (whether replacing it or modifying it) can be grounds to deny bigger warranty claims. I personally realize lots of people do it and have no problems, I have installed them in the past on other models and they work great. But if my bike was under warranty, I would have to think very carefully about what I did and did not change.
And 2. as a non-anonymous (not a dig at you) member I cannot speak for other dealers or the factory. I will try to pass on as much info as I am allowed to, and am aware of.

Some of the info we have has to do with crankcase construction. Some of the case sections and covers are thinner than they have ever been in a Yamaha before. They saved weight and materials where they could. The down side to this is that we have louder motors than we're used to. That's not to say that this is the reason for the chain noise, but it contributes to transmitted noises overall.

I'm sure that the GSXR1000 is the "better" sportbike, but I'd buy the R1.

I rode my friend's '09 R1 many times, and it had more than enough performance for me. And that crossplane motor is seriously neat and fun to rev out!

You should be able to get current R1's at a steal because of the coming 2015 redesign. As far as the heat issue goes, a new mid-pipe that eliminates the cat will also take care of the heat. And if you throw on some Akra slip-ons as well and it will sound amazing. That's without changing the ECU or adding a fuel controller, either.

My friend had bought an Ohlins TTX shock but never installed it as the stock suspension worked so well on the street.

I'm sure that the GSXR1000 is the "better" sportbike, but I'd buy the R1.

I rode my friend's '09 R1 many times, and it had more than enough performance for me. And that crossplane motor is seriously neat and fun to rev out!

You should be able to get current R1's at a steal because of the coming 2015 redesign. As far as the heat issue goes, a new mid-pipe that eliminates the cat will also take care of the heat. And if you throw on some Akra slip-ons as well and it will sound amazing. That's without changing the ECU or adding a fuel controller, either.

My friend had bought an Ohlins TTX shock but never installed it as the stock suspension worked so well on the street.
I can get a 2014 R1 today for $12,000.00 + taxes. No dealer fees, take it and go! To be honest, I'd be happy with either bike. There have been some very nice suggestions ie: Aprillia & BMW.
Deal wise, the Yamaha stands out...Suzuki's winter sales promo will be presented most likely in a weeks time. Their - Suzuki's, current fall program expired last night. I'm aware of the flaws - if they can be called that, of the R1. Still, it wouldn't be a deal breaker IMO. NO bike is perfect, some are very very close mind you, others....
If I totally love the bike, then sorting it out won't be an issue.
This next bike will not see the track, so power wise, any litre bike will be more than plenty. The original idea was to pickup a non-current/left-over litre bike at a great price.
Off to the dealers today, going to check out their inventory.

I guarantee you will be modding the poo out of that R1 if you buy it, or you'll hate it. I kid not. I have had four friends of mine own them over the past few years, two still have their bike and both want out of them but can't afford to (well in one case, he just wants the new bike to come out ASAP as he'll never own something not built by Yamaha).

The other two, FWIW, bought ZX-10Rs. A 2009 (yes, went from 2010 R1 to 2009 ZX10R) and a 2011. Both are much happier. YMMV.

I can get a 2014 R1 today for $12,000.00 + taxes. No dealer fees, take it and go! To be honest, I'd be happy with either bike. There have been some very nice suggestions ie: Aprillia & BMW.
Deal wise, the Yamaha stands out...Suzuki's winter sales promo will be presented most likely in a weeks time. Their - Suzuki's, current fall program expired last night. I'm aware of the flaws - if they can be called that, of the R1. Still, it wouldn't be a deal breaker IMO. NO bike is perfect, some are very very close mind you, others....
If I totally love the bike, then sorting it out won't be an issue.
This next bike will not see the track, so power wise, any litre bike will be more than plenty. The original idea was to pickup a non-current/left-over litre bike at a great price.
Off to the dealers today, going to check out their inventory.

Right on. I think the price on the R1 will go even lower after Monday...

I guarantee you will be modding the poo out of that R1 if you buy it, or you'll hate it. I kid not. I have had four friends of mine own them over the past few years, two still have their bike and both want out of them but can't afford to (well in one case, he just wants the new bike to come out ASAP as he'll never own something not built by Yamaha).

The other two, FWIW, bought ZX-10Rs. A 2009 (yes, went from 2010 R1 to 2009 ZX10R) and a 2011. Both are much happier. YMMV.

My buddy's R1 ran pretty sweet with a Graves mid pipe and Akra slip ons. The only other mods were Graves covers. He didn't need to install the Onlins shock he'd bought or the braided lines, either. If you're a serious track day guy, then you might want to upgrade the suspension and flash the ecu, but as a street bike the R1 is awesome, IMO.

My friend went from an '08 CBR1000RR, to the R1, and there's no doubt that it was a better\faster track bike. I guess it depends on what you're looking for out of a litrebike.

Personally, I really like the base model RSV4, too, (although I've never ridden one). But if Yamaha has a deal on that cross plane...I'd find it hard to refuse

Back
Top Bottom