2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or.......... | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 GSX-R1000 or 2014 YZF-R1 which one and why? Or..........

cza888

Looking at a litre bike. 23 years riding, various bikes, not my first litre, just wanted some feed back from owners or others who have had some time on these two mentioned. Also open to other suggestions, please feel free :)

Not tracking this bike, no commuting. Good time of the year to pickup a left over. Yes, I know the new R1 is being released very soon. Don't need this next bike till spring, so got till then to make a purchase.

Just looking for a stablemate for my GSX-R750 L4 - which I'm very pleased with.

Thoughts?

Well, the new R1 is making it's first appearance on November, 3rd. Depending on price point/features/design, I think it would be a better bike than the GSX-R that hasn't seen much of a change since 2009.

Both are very good, both are beyond the realistic capabilities of most riders. Both will land you in jail.
I would hold off on a litrebike because the next gen is all about electronics, most of which are on the 14 ZX10R already.

As an investment, I wonder how appealing a non-TC and non-ABS litre bike will be 5 years from now.

At this range, I hate to sound like Shaman, but the Aprilia RSV4 is pretty exotic and awesome and reliable.

I'm not sure how muchmore joy either will bring on the street over your GSXR-750.

I second the above - RSV4 seems to be the way to go.

big_thumb_6e25d739209f1a032fcaf7cde7a9d114.jpg

I'm not sure how muchmore joy either will bring on the street over your GSXR-750.

I second the above - RSV4 seems to be the way to go.

big_thumb_6e25d739209f1a032fcaf7cde7a9d114.jpg

they had one like that at 2 wheel in Guelph, except now it has my drool all over it.

The GSXR will feel just like the GSXR that you have now, but with a bit more power. It's hardly different enough to bother.

That's almost true of the R1, too.

If you are going to get a second bike, get something different from what you have now. I have three sport bikes, three different displacements, three different manufacturers, three different eras ... 125cc, 400cc (vintage), 1000cc. They don't feel anything alike ...

Get a dual sport or motard, or something that doesn't have four cylinders. Take your pick.

Valid points from all! I'm not heavy into the electronics, but I totally agree, it (is) the direction which bikes are headed, and have been for a quite some time now. The Aprillia is also on the radar. I'd still buy it with the drool or without :) have also had a look at Ducati.
I'm more comfortable buying a left over - older/current design.
There's more aftermarket available and resolutions to issues if/when the time comes.

I have a few bikes, old, new etc. last fall i bought a 2008 Yamaha FZ1, did a few mods to the suspension and ...well.. its now my fav, rode it down in North Carolina this past june and i must say the bike performed flawlessly, the more upright seating sport tporing set up suits my 55yr old frame and well it's got a R1 engine tuned for street use... what else can i say... try one out

I Agree with brian-p and basmn, i also have two sports bike (r1 and r6) and honestly i would like to change one of my bikes to a naked bike..perhaps fz 09. No sense having 2 sport bikes!!

I Agree with brian-p and basmn, i also have two sports bike (r1 and r6) and honestly i would like to change one of my bikes to a naked bike..perhaps fz 09. No sense having 2 sport bikes!!
Go with the 09 only if you're intending to upgrade the suspension front and rear - the stock suspension CANNOT handle that motor!! I (had) one. Wasn't going to invest that kinda $$$ into it. I know I could've went the cheaper route to upgrade the suspension, but at the end of the day, a SS checked off (all) the boxes - for me.
I see where some of you guys are coming from - about getting a different bike, but right now I'm on a huge SS kick, and after my experience with the 09 - standard riding position, triple engine, believe me, the motor was a riot, but....meh..... going to pass on another naked bike. I know it might not really make sense, but really looking hard at only SS bikes.

I appreciate all your opinions!!
Thanks to all :)

they had one like that at 2 wheel in Guelph, except now it has my drool all over it.

Dunlop sells raised white letter tires? or is that just for posing?

A lot more Joy, better power distribution and a lot more of it. A bit more comfortable. No Comparison in my opinion

But if you can afford the Aprilia or the BMW then go for it. The Fz1 has a lot of power, very comparable to your 750 if not more and it is a good all around bike.

Last edited:
Valid points from all! I'm not heavy into the electronics, but I totally agree, it (is) the direction which bikes are headed, and have been for a quite some time now. The Aprillia is also on the radar. I'd still buy it with the drool or without :) have also had a look at Ducati.
I'm more comfortable buying a left over - older/current design.
There's more aftermarket available and resolutions to issues if/when the time comes.

If you head up to GP Bikes with your gear, there's a very good chance you can demo a bike.
I've been riding Suzuki's for what seems like "forever". GSX-R's / Busas. Then, I rode the Panigale S.
I recommend you do the same, while there's still some time this season.

A lot more Joy, better power distribution and a lot more of it. A bit more comfortable. No Comparison in my opinion.

Ditto.

I really enjoy my '09 GSXR1K and would recommend it. It's very similar to the '14. It's more comfy than the R1 imo, feels lighter, and doesn't roast your butt.

The butt roasting I wasn't aware of...wonder if it would be any hotter than my RC-51?......yikes!!
I haven't taken a Panigale S out yet, that was on the to-do list this year, but time wise didn't work out.

$$$ - right now, I'd be more comfortable with a Japanese offering.

2014 GSX-R1000 going for $13,699.00 + taxes
2014 R1 going for $12,000.00 + taxes

Holding out for a little bit longer. Suzuki promos are ending tomorrow, I'm pretty sure they'll go down a bit more for the winter promos. Plus the new R1 is just around the corner...
or am I missing a really good deal for a '14 R1 for $12k + taxes?!...

Even though the OP is deciding on two certain bikes, I had this feeling a picture of an rsv4 would show up. I am partial to the r1 but I guess riding both would be the best as they differ in ergos. I hear the gsxr is more comfy?

For a street bike I'd go R1 and ditch the under-tail exhaust to keep my butt a nice rare instead of medium well. It has gobs of tq and sounds bad ***. You won't have much to complain about between the two unless you ride like a complete tool on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom