Reinforce plastic tabs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reinforce plastic tabs

clutch

Streetfighter headlights have plastic tabs to mount on fork brackets. These broke after a few months of use. I've ordered up another headlight but now I need to figure out a DIY way to reinforce the plastic tabs so it doesn't break again. Quick and dirty works, doesn't have to be pretty. Thoughts?

I was thinking of JB welding the crap out of the inside of the plastic tabs for reinforcement...

I'd try to get another material in there, not just JB weld.

Something like one of these metal shapes.

corner-brace-538.jpg

Good idea! Except the inside of the tabs is not straight. There's some weird angles in there. Maybe I'll try an aluminum sheet and see if I can bend it flush somehow, then jbweld the whole thing together...

I'd try to get another material in there, not just JB weld.

Something like one of these metal shapes.

Glue a flat washer in place to spread the load? Or. Rubber mounts at all mounting points for full floater effect? When I home bodge stuff like that I'll make rubber grommets. Use a hole saw into rubber sheet. Make any size grommet you need. Use rubber hose over thru bolt, have no metal to metal contact.

Does it only mount at 2 points? Need more pics including pic of broken tab.

Drywall tape and jb weld will work, use some sandpaper and scuff the area up , put some small pieces of drywall tape around the tab and apply the jb.

Genius...I'm using that one too. Maybe the insane rattle I get from the light cluster going over rough ground will go.

Drywall tape and jb weld will work, use some sandpaper and scuff the area up , put some small pieces of drywall tape around the tab and apply the jb.

Trying to picture this

I'm guessing he is talking about self-adhesive fibreglass mesh tape (not paper tape).

Back
Top Bottom